walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Dog GPS tracker

Dog GPS tracker

Postby pclark87 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am

Hi everyone, I am going to start taking my dog (Piper) up the Munros this year as he’s one year old. He has good obedience but as with everything it’s better to be safe than sorry. I am looking at reviews for GPS dog trackers but not much info related to actual mountain use.
Anyone have any information with regards to what dog trackers they are using? How well they work up the hills?
So far I’m considering a Vodaphone ‘curve’ and a ‘Tractive’ but open to any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance.
Paul & Piper
Attachments
4221AB4B-52A7-4992-8119-9182557C486B.png
pclark87
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:1

Re: Dog GPS tracker

Postby Steve B » Tue May 10, 2022 4:51 pm

If you use an i Phone get an air tag
Steve B
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:40   Islands:9

Postby pclark87 » Tue May 10, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi Steve,
I do have an iPhone and had initially thought that the airtag was exactly what I needed. Unfortunately having looked into the airtag I had ruled it out as it doesn’t have GPS capability and is apparently reliant on other Apple devices to ping signals off to help you locate it. Great for the city and towns etc but If piper was lost in the hills (hopefully not) it would make him harder to locate (as the airtag range is approx 10m) than if he had a GPS tracker.
Thanks for the comment.
Paul
pclark87
Hill Bagger

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed May 11, 2022 1:20 pm

My understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong), most dog GPS tags aren't designed for places where you don't get a mobile signal to relay the location back to your smartphone?

There must be like a standalone device that works similar to a Garmin inReach Mini. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby malrc » Wed May 11, 2022 3:24 pm

We use Tractive trackers for our cats at home. They are very effective, but, as noted above, rely on the unit having a mobile signal.

Some brief Googling suggests that full GPS solutions are available, but aren't cheap
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Postby pclark87 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:27 pm

Thanks Wallace and Malrc.

I believe you are correct regarding the requirement for a cellular signal and I understand that this can come and go while out trekking. My hope is that I never need to refer to it but if something happened I would rather have some form of GPS tracker on him in the hope it would be able to help locate him quicker.
I see the curve uses only the vodaphone network where as the tractive uses multiple networks (whichever is closest) so would likely provide better piece of mind.

Hopefully someone using either can comment on how affective they are in the hills or recommend others.

Thanks again.
pclark87
Hill Bagger

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed May 11, 2022 9:11 pm

I'd maybe go for Tractive rather than the Vodafone Curve as it seems to use other available networks:

https://tractive.com/
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Holly » Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 pm

Very expensive option is the Garmin Atemos 100 or 50 with their K5 collar. OR, go all out and get the new Alpha 200i with K5 collar which gives you a fully effective gps satellite unit for you and that also links with the collar for the dog. This does not require a phone signal and range is advertised as up to 9 miles although forest, woodland etc could impact on this. The collar can also be remotely triggered with a stable, flashing light if you saw your dog going near a road, can emit a tone if the dog is out of sight but you might be able to hear them with the tone on, or , to improve your visibility of the dog if they got out of sight. There is also a vibration alert although Im not sure how that would help. Oh and,, the unit has Inreach technology that can also be utilised by subscription pay as you go should you ever want to use it. Now why do I know all this? I have been considering the purchase of this for ages (even before the inreach capable model was developed). The expense was giving me anxiety attacks but,,,I often end up with no phone signal as Im often multi day and camping in remoter areas. So ,, I finally bit the bullet and the bundle arrived today. I have been spending all day setting it up and getting it organised….. Now,,, its not cheap.. not cheap at all…. But if you need a garmin satellite gps unit that has inreach tech and a tracker without a subscription and doesn’t need a phone signal???? You might be able to justify it? Beans and toast for me for a while me thinks.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ohsosky » Fri May 13, 2022 4:16 pm

I have the tractive and would not recommend. I have a strong headed schnauzer who likes to do his own thing (still in training) and thought this would be useful.

I tested it out in the Galloway forest and it does not work without signal, sometimes I did have signal but his device must not have and I couldn’t see him on the app, so if your dog actually got lost remotely it would probably not be much help and I wouldn’t recommend. The garmin looks good but is very pricey and quite bulky for my wee dog (only 9kg).

My solution is just to dress him brightly. A bright orange harness and collar and cut the handle of a cheap orange lead that he usually trails behind him to reinforce our training but I think it would be useful for somebody to grab him if he did get lost as he is people shy. The bright colours give me confidence he is more likely to be spotted if he did go astray.

I also have the ruffwear beacon which is very bright, waterproof and battery lasts a while. I put this on before night but also when its overcast and gloomy. Hopefully this gives him a better chance of being found if he did get lost :shock:
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby pclark87 » Fri May 13, 2022 9:17 pm

Holly & Ososky

Thanks for the info.
I will have a look at the garmin option and make sure I’m sat down for the price haha.
Shame if the tractive isn’t great in wooded areas as I am swaying towards it over the curve.
I too use ruffwear gear. I already have the beacon light which is great and I have just purchased the switchbak harness in bright red as I feel red is the easiest colour to pick out in the hills and with the pockets on top it provides a nice big patch or colour without being to warm for my fair weather hiking :)

Appreciating the feedback folks please keep it coming.

Have a nice weekend everyone.
pclark87
Hill Bagger

Postby Holly » Sun May 15, 2022 9:31 pm

Can I add as well that a cheap option to help is to attach falconry bells? You do get used to the noise but I would advise taking them off if you are camping with the dog or its jingle bells all night :-),,, oh the Garmin collar comes in small sizes. A light can also be activated if in the event the dog went out of sight in the dark and also can elicit a tone which is a more expensive option to the falconry bells and obviously only effective if they havent gone too far. My dog is nervous and afraid of people and would hide hence the reason I also have the bells on her collar. I am saying all this and she is seldom off lead !
Holly
Munro compleatist

Postby pclark87 » Tue May 17, 2022 10:32 am

Thank you Holly, the simple ones are often the most affective. I will definitely consider this as an addition to his hills walks which will be single day hikes no camping (yet).

Thanks
pclark87
Hill Bagger

Dog GPS tracker

Postby Semerka » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:24 pm

Resurrecting an older post, I have also come across Techsilver satellite GPS tracker on my internet search: :D

Uses satellites for location, not mobile signal.
Seems more cost effective than the mentioned Garmin, though not sure how it would securely attach to a dog’s collar and if indeed it’s weatherproof.
Semerka
Mountaineer

Postby Holly » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:45 am

Hi Semerka,

The GPS tech silver tracker you speak of does require to have a mobile signal to work Im afraid .
Holly
Munro compleatist

Postby davekeiller » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 am

The trouble with these types of tracker is that you need it to do two things:
1. work out its location
2. Transmit that location to your phone or other device.

Doing 1. is relatively easy and reliable as devices can use GPS (can also use mobile signal for a coarse location)
Doing 2. is the difficult bit - GPS won't work because it's receive only, bluetooth would work but has a short range (no more than tens of metres), ditto WiFi or infrared, meaning mobile signal is the only option, unless you use a (proprietary) two way radio system like the Garmin appears to.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk