walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Packable camp / bothy shoes

Packable camp / bothy shoes

Postby TheRealLurlock » Fri May 13, 2022 8:37 pm

Following my first multi-day walk in the Highlands, it's obvious that one sensible piece of gear I was missing was a pair of camp or bothy shoes. Not only can feet swell up after a long day (particularly in stiff B-rated boots) making it uncomfortable to put your boots back on to leave the tent, if your boots get drenched then it'll be much nicer to put your dried off feet into something else. I also took off my damp walking socks at the end of each day and put on extremely thick tent socks, which are too big to be worn inside my boots anyway. I wore these thick socks in the bothy I stayed in but clearly I was still at risk of splinters from the old wooden floor, and I went barefoot between the tent and water sources which carried the risk of cutting myself on a rock or collecting ticks.

I've seen crocs, sliders, and Teva sandals recommended, but these are all fairly bulky and won't pack very flat. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some sandals or other shoes (ideally not flip-flops, which can't be worn with thick socks, nor delicate down slippers) which pack down flat or close to it for ease of storage.

Obviously I could go out and buy a dirt-cheap pair of the thinnest sandals I can find, but I'd like a pair which are a little more robust and will last a long time, rather than something designed as a fashion/loungewear product.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: Packable camp / bothy shoes

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 13, 2022 9:10 pm

I've pondered a solution to this, and especially the bothy slippers thing. Those down ones. I bought a pair, but they don't cut the mustard as there was little insulation in the snow, and I couldn't nip outside without changing back to boots. They packed very small though.

For years, my mate has worn crocs. He hangs them from his ice axe (winter bothy trips) when walking in, but equally could just tie them outside. We've ripped the **** mercilessly, both about the crocs, and the hanging them off his ice axe. However, I have come to believe he's right - they're very light, insulate from the floor, and can also be used for river crossings. They don't pack flat, but if you can stand the ignominy of the "D of E" look of stuff strapped outside your pack, they do seem to make a lot of sense. I may even bite the bullet and take some next winter...
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby TheRealLurlock » Fri May 13, 2022 9:48 pm

Crocs are simply out of the question. I have no issue hanging things on the outside of my pack (indeed I was unaware this is a roasting offence. If you want to dry out a pair of socks or a towel during the day, where else are you going to put them?) I own a pair of those cheap Adidas sliders which I use when rowing, but they are just too volumous, stiff, and awkwardly-shaped to attach to anything.

I've previously come across these, which look close to what I'm talking about except that they're bloody expensive:
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/sock-on-sandals/
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Postby Skyelines » Fri May 13, 2022 10:59 pm

How about something like aqua shoes. They come in all sorts of designs including some very soft ones that look as if they wouldn't take up much space or weigh very much. Have a look to see what Decathlon have.
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/aquashoes-for-adults-aquashoes-100/_/R-p-102440?mc=8330684&c=GREY

Buying oversize would fit over thick socks perhaps.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Ewen1966 » Sat May 14, 2022 3:48 pm

Crocs do a puffy slipper like the rab or nordisk hut slippers. They don't squidge up but they pack flat. I have them and carry them sometimes. Various Chinese suppliers do down boots but the soles aren't that good for going out for a slash. They will compress down a lot.
In the old days we wore placcy boots and walked round the bothy in the inners. Lovely loden lined jobs but a thin sole.
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby TheRealLurlock » Sat May 14, 2022 4:08 pm

Ewen1966 wrote:Crocs do a puffy slipper like the rab or nordisk hut slippers. They don't squidge up but they pack flat. I have them and carry them sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you referring to these?:
https://www.crocs.co.uk/p/classic-convertible-slipper/205837.html

Looking at them I can imagine they are quite light and pack fairly flat against the soles, and they seem to have a decent sole. But they don't look like something which you'd want to wear in heavy rain whilst your boots are drying off inside the tent. They look like they'd absorb water instantly and become soaking and heavy.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Postby ohsosky » Sat May 14, 2022 6:31 pm

I have Lakeland active slippers from amazon, they can squish flat in my bag. The sole is rubber so it doesnt let the water in. The fabric bit does get damp if its really wet outside and I stay out for a while but they dry out fine. I’ve never had the water get through to my feet but I’m only using these to potter around the camp and when nature calls :wink:
ohsosky
Backpacker

Postby Ewen1966 » Sun May 15, 2022 9:39 am

TheRealLurlock wrote:
Ewen1966 wrote:Crocs do a puffy slipper like the rab or nordisk hut slippers. They don't squidge up but they pack flat. I have them and carry them sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestion. Are you referring to these?:
https://www.crocs.co.uk/p/classic-convertible-slipper/205837.html

Looking at them I can imagine they are quite light and pack fairly flat against the soles, and they seem to have a decent sole. But they don't look like something which you'd want to wear in heavy rain whilst your boots are drying off inside the tent. They look like they'd absorb water instantly and become soaking and heavy.

It is the Croc neo puff slippers.
The tops won't withstand heavy rain but they are OK in light showers. If it was absolutely chucking it down I'd put on the wet boots myself. You just need to get a size bigger for socks.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220515_093516_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping_edit_879424959651224.jpg
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun May 15, 2022 10:20 am

TheRealLurlock wrote:Following my first multi-day walk in the Highlands, it's obvious that one sensible piece of gear I was missing was a pair of camp or bothy shoes. Not only can feet swell up after a long day (particularly in stiff B-rated boots) making it uncomfortable to put your boots back on to leave the tent, if your boots get drenched then it'll be much nicer to put your dried off feet into something else. I also took off my damp walking socks at the end of each day and put on extremely thick tent socks, which are too big to be worn inside my boots anyway. I wore these thick socks in the bothy I stayed in but clearly I was still at risk of splinters from the old wooden floor, and I went barefoot between the tent and water sources which carried the risk of cutting myself on a rock or collecting ticks.

I've seen crocs, sliders, and Teva sandals recommended, but these are all fairly bulky and won't pack very flat. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some sandals or other shoes (ideally not flip-flops, which can't be worn with thick socks, nor delicate down slippers) which pack down flat or close to it for ease of storage.

Obviously I could go out and buy a dirt-cheap pair of the thinnest sandals I can find, but I'd like a pair which are a little more robust and will last a long time, rather than something designed as a fashion/loungewear product.

Something else to beware and what happened to myself though this is a million to one shot what happened.
I had been camping for the night and went outside my tent during the night to do a pee in my socks, returned home and went for a bath and during the bathing my foot had swollen up so much so i could not put any weight on it and struggled big time to get out the bath.
Phoned doctors and he came out and diagnosed Cellulitis, gave me antibiotics, next day swelling had got worse and infection was travelling further up my leg.
Admitted to hospital for a week on drip, released from hospital with crutches to aid walking, in the end it took about 6 months to recover.
The only thing that i think caused the infection was going for a pee during the night in my socks as there was a very minute pin prick on my instep, so after this i always make sure i put something sturdy on my feet while walking about inside a bothy or outside.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Essan » Mon May 16, 2022 10:53 am

Skyelines wrote:How about something like aqua shoes.

That's what I use - as comfy as slippers! And, of course, also useful for river crossings too.
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 16, 2022 12:33 pm

How about a pair of these? You can walk around in the snow/mud and leave footprints which will scare the hell out of the next visitors! :lol:
Monster slippers.jpg

https://www.shucentre.co.uk/new-unisex-novelty-monster-claw-animal-slippers-all-sizes-2399.html
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ewen1966 » Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:How about a pair of these? You can walk around in the snow/mud and leave footprints which will scare the hell out of the next visitors! :lol:
Monster slippers.jpg

https://www.shucentre.co.uk/new-unisex-novelty-monster-claw-animal-slippers-all-sizes-2399.html

That reminds me.
I need to get the angle grinder out on the toe nails.
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Postby TheRealLurlock » Mon May 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Great responses all, thank for the help. Looks like water shoes are the way to go due to their versatility. I'd previously considered them purely for river crossings but the only ones I'd looked at seemed very bulky (i.e. the rubberised sole rose up around the heel/arch meaning they would take up too much space) whereas Decathlon's shoes look flat and light.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Postby Poocini » Thu May 19, 2022 12:49 pm

I had similar thoughts when I walked the Great Glen Way a couple of weeks ago.
I wore Salomon x-ultra during the walk, and whilst they were ok, I did have to tape up my feet on my weak spots, and still managed to get an incredible blister on the top of my small toe on my right foot - which meant I was extra grateful for the pair of Asda sandals that I had with me.

They only cost about £3/£4, weighed about 100g, and packed flat, and whilst I'm sure they could have been more comfortable, they allowed my feet to air, and when I stayed at the Loch Ness Inn on the one of the nights when I didn't camp, it gave me something to wear in their restaurant when my shoes were fermenting away to the extent that could probably have walked into the place on their own!
Poocini
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu May 19, 2022 2:24 pm

I had been camping for the night and went outside my tent during the night to do a pee in my socks

Can ye no just pee in a bush like the rest of us? :shock: :lol:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk