walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Daypack for the lanky.

Daypack for the lanky.

Postby matt_outandabout » Sun May 15, 2022 8:22 pm

Youngest is now 186cm/6'2" and likely still growing.

We're looking to get him a good daypack, around the 25-30lt size. Needs axe loops. Not a 'suspended' back, he prefers more stability. Ideally £70-80 mark.

He's already got a Vaude 55lt expedition pack, in long back he finds Uber comfy. Sadly Vaude don't supply after Brexshit.

We have already in the family:
Osprey Stratos 30 (old model) - too big, floppy and over designed in some details.
Lowe Alpine Rock 40 aside from being too big ( it was my instructor/leader pack) he likes how long and comfy a simple back can be.
Lowe Alpine Aeon 27 - really good, he likes, only just long enough. Top runner at the moment.

Options:
Gregory Kiro 28 - we've a ladies Maya, and this looks very good.
Montane Azote 26

Aeon 27 and be done...?
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Re: Daypack for the lanky.

Postby cruachan06 » Sun May 15, 2022 11:07 pm

I've been looking a bit myself at daypacks (I've been using an Under Armour rucksack and whilst it's fine I'm fed up with a sweaty back and that's even in the winter) so have decided to go for a haversack/satchel, which seem to be very popular with the bushcraft community and so often have the axe loops.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/tb-bst-cd-bushcraft-satchel-bag-cordura.html

That's the one I'm looking at, it's a wee bit smaller than you want at 17L but what I like is that it has MOLLE webbing on both ends so things like my BCB Crusader cookset and pouch with my first aid kit/toilet roll/hand gel/fire kit can be carried on the outside if there isn't enough space inside. Outside pockets on both ends, one closed and one open at the bottom for carrying an axe.

Haven't taken the plunge yet on that one, I've been using an old military surplus Polish Bread Bag that I got for the princely sum of £4 from Military Mart, wanted to make sure I felt comfortable with a haversack before splashing out £50.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed May 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Thank you cruachan - a satchel is not going to cut it for Munro sized days and the use we will give it, and experience says to dangle as little outside the pack as possible.

I have ordered a Lowe Alpine Aeon 27 - he can have matching bag to his older brother.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Postby cruachan06 » Wed May 18, 2022 7:15 pm

No worries, I wonder myself if it will big enough when I come to do longer trips. Culter Fell circular will be the test of that soon though.

I have the same issues with sizes though, at 5'11" tall but with a 29" inside leg I generally need tops and bags sized for people a good bit taller than I am.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri May 27, 2022 12:16 am

cruachan06 wrote:No worries, I wonder myself if it will big enough when I come to do longer trips.

I suggest there is a reason that most people use a proper rucksack, two straps and stable.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk