walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

MSR Hubba Hubba in wind?

MSR Hubba Hubba in wind?

Postby BrightEyes16 » Fri May 27, 2022 12:32 am

Would it be a silly idea to go wild camping on Harris and Lewis and then Uist with this tent? I have never been and don't have much camping experience but I've read that the main issue with this tent is that it can be vulnerable to wind. It's not been tested in heavy wind yet. I'm going with friends who are more experienced than me but they've never been to the outer hebs either. It's my only tent but if you think it's really not a good idea, any budget friendly suggestions for one person that I can pick up on short notice that aren't too heavy? I don't want to blow away. :lol: Thank you.
BrightEyes16

Re: MSR Hubba Hubba in wind?

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri May 27, 2022 6:39 am

I don't own one, but my friend's Hubba Hubba looked solid in winds of 25-30mph on a winter summit. It's a backpacking tent, so it should be fine for the Hebrides. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri May 27, 2022 8:05 am

I have one, it's solid tbh, you're overthinking it.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Fri May 27, 2022 9:00 pm

Whilst I don't have a Hubba, I do have a Luxe Outdoor "copy", which is excellent. I get why people worry about it in wind, because it flexes over the porches, and can't be guyed in a direction that really helps.
However, winds of 25-30 mph are not a problem at all, though it makes a big difference if you can pitch end on into the wind. I have survived a night where it was gusting 90 on top of the Brecons, whilst we were pitched in the valley below and receiving gusts that knocked me over just a short distance from the little dip we camped in. We were probably getting 50-60mph gusts all night. No, I didn't sleep, because the tent kept turning inside out on my face, but it flexed and survived, bar a slightly bent pole, in truly extreme conditions. Its no geodesic "bomb-proof" dome, but in "normal" strong winds its fine.
The fundamental design is sound, and I can only imagine the current MSR version is better than my 7 year old Luxe, which has become my favourite tent.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Glyno » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:06 pm

I used my Hubba NX (1p) on a flat, exposed Moel Eilio summit a few weeks ago on a fairly gusty night. It was surprisingly solid, despite my initial concerns.
Glyno
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:169
Wainwrights:214   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:16 pm

They're a very good shape for it, get the foot end into the wind, job done.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Chris87GER » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:04 pm

Hey, I also got an Hubba NX (1p) and spend 3 really stormy nights in the highlands in the last couple of years. Two went well, the third was... fun.
Wind was at 70kph and rain was intense. I pitched with the straight wall towards the wind, which was my mistake. The ground generelly was a hard pitch. It was September 2019, on the ridge east of Ladhar Bheinn in Knoydart; much more exposed than I'd expected at the time. I am sure it would have held, if I had pitched the other way around. As it was, I was squashed under the tent, most of the time. Unfortunately, the DWR was worn out, so the wind actually squeezed water through the outer fabric. I spent the night wet, but still warm, being out of the wind and with good gear and actually had decent sleep, after I made my peace with sleeping in a puddle.

I'd definitely pin the experience on 1) badly chosen spot 2) wrong pitch and 3) worn out water-proofing. Be sure to carry enough pegs to use all the lines.
My next rainstorm had been down in a valley and less exposed, but the tent kept dry. As has been said: the tentpoles may shift and bend, but this is part the design. 2018 the Hubba saw a hurricane in Portugal and with a much more protected spot, there were absolutely no problems. Had the tent since 2016 in Germany, France, Portugal, Spain, Scotland, New South Wales and I'd only replace it if I could afford a Hilleberg ;)
Chris87GER
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Glyno » Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:06 pm

Update…

Last night I was pitched a few metres from Sergeant Man summit and it was blowing an absolute hoolie - sleep totally out of the question. The Hubba shook quite a bit but was solid throughout.
I misjudged the wind direction for my original pitch but it took me just a couple of minutes to remove all but one corner peg and rotate through 90* ensuring the foot faced the wind (north).
Glyno
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:169
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:44 am

As others have said it should cope with standard summer blustery conditions, but you should be aware of any significant storms or gales coming in.

There are more factors than just the tent. A few years back an experienced winter mountaineer (George Maier, see "The Night I Almost Died on Ben Nevis" on Youtube) with a quality expedition tent made a video how his entire tent was ripped off the landscape in a winter storm and he was blown downhill with him in it, it wasn't that the tent itself had ripped or the guys failed - the tent was not at fault in any way - the stakes came out of the ground. Simple as that. The moral of that story, because you should not be facing the exact same severe conditions, but there's still a lesson to learn : the pitch is one of the most critical elements of camping.

There are many elements to that. Not sleeping under branches but especially dead branches, not pitching in a spot that looks likely to puddle during rain, being the least exposed you can, knowing which direction wind is forecast - but being aware that might change without notice, if your tent pitches better in one wind direction or another being aware of that, making sure you have the right pegs for the terrain, and one general tip is the longer you can make the guys - the further from the tent - the more secure they should be, at least to a point. Making sure the guys are correctly tensioned, you don't want slack but you don't want tennis racket "string ping" either. Many tents come with substandard pegs because most experienced campers will be buying (or have already) good quality pegs that are tailored to their conditions.

So when people say the Hubba struggles in wind, and yes it's always worth paying attention to voiced concerns over equipment, but it's also wise to investigate if the problem was really the tent or user error. This is not to try to put you off, on the contrary. But it's worth going through several youtube videos giving talks on pitching and dos and don'ts. Learn about what pitch locations you want. Learn about pitching correctly. And always re-pitch and re-adjust if you need. One thing in your favour is, as a freestanding tent, you'll find it to re-pitch and "shuggle about" a lot easier than a tension tent... but also beware if there is a bit of bluster during a re-pitch your tent can be torn away from you like a huge kite!
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:03 pm

I had a nice Vango dome tent with silvered fly sheet and pictish/celtic designs on the inner panels (drawn by my good self, copied from a batik throw/wall hanging thingy from Skye Batiks. I had used it in the deserts of Saudi Arabia and in the Cairngorms. It was destroyed by a bizarre, violent climactic event at Sligachan one summer night of sudden cyclone-style stormyness. The stubby trees at the Sligachan Hotel were thrashing back and forth like windscreen wipers, so it's no surprise the tent was torn to shreds. Your tent looks very nice, I'm sure you'll be fine. Probably. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Hola » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:02 am

Realise adding this comment a bit late but another thing I’ve noticed on many You Tube…’reviews of Hubbas’….!!!!…users don’t realise that the short top Apex/crossover pole goes on TOP of the main pole…which gives the tent its tautness and integrity.
..just saying…I’ve used Hubbas for the last 8 years including overseas in the big ranges
If I know the weather is going to be a bit ‘iffy’ I take a more ‘weather worthy’ shelter….
Hola
Scrambler

Postby Kenny Raeside » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:40 pm

“ users don’t realise that the short top Apex/crossover pole goes on TOP of the main pole…which gives the tent its tautness and integrity. “

Noted !

Thank you👍
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby Singinghound » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:04 am

I've had mine for over a year, and it's been great. Last time out was Wednesday night at Loch Avon, and the winds were gusting pretty strongly on Thursday morning and it was absolutely fine.

The previous comment about the crossover pole is absolutely critical!

If anything, it is a little cold, but I appreciate the venting and minimal condensation!
Singinghound
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk