walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best waterproof gloves

Best waterproof gloves

Postby pmilne » Mon May 30, 2022 10:14 pm

Recommendations for waterproof gloves please?

Don’t need to be warm but must be waterproof.

Need something thin.
pmilne
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   

Re: Best waterproof gloves

Postby Nizzy » Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Nizzy
Mountain Walker

Postby Veryhappybunny » Tue May 31, 2022 8:46 pm

Really didn't like my sealkin gloves - they felt cold and clammy (and not that thin).

But I am sorry I don't know what would be best. I have an old pair of goretex mitts (extremities) which were not bad while they lasted.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 31, 2022 8:54 pm

I have raynauds syndrome so tend to wear gloves a lot even in relatively decent weather. I've tried many different types and found that waterproof doesn't actually mean waterproof as the rain tends to find a way in eventually. The only "gloves" I've ever found to be really effective are goretex over mitts (outer only) which tend only to be used in really wet weather and I wear fleece gloves underneath them.
https://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/goretex-outer-mittens-new-military-521164.html
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby weaselmaster » Tue May 31, 2022 9:20 pm

Nizzy wrote:Sealskinz' range of all-weather gloves are fully waterproof

https://www.sealskinz.com/collections/gloves?gclid=Cj0KCQjw-daUBhCIARIsALbkjSbGBrnzeRHby2UYVKFSgKZns63GjPRhe2G8fxCEjIAgWyUFRPM6uNEaAlovEALw_wcB

Look around for cheaper deals.

Jock

...or so they say.
Allison bought a pair at £45 when we did the CWT earlier this month. Not even 10% waterproof and a complete waste of money as far as I can see.
Worth considering a pair of kitchen Marigolds if waterproofness is essential? I'm being serious. Or alternatively a pair of nitrile medical examination gloves under a fleece glove (though sweat may be a problem)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Tue May 31, 2022 11:25 pm

weaselmaster wrote:Worth considering a pair of kitchen Marigolds if waterproofness is essential? I'm being serious. Or alternatively a pair of nitrile medical examination gloves under a fleece glove (though sweat may be a problem)
Coincidentally I did actually try marigolds under a fleece glove once - granted the gloves stayed waterproof but, as you note, my hands were very sweaty, as the gloves don't breathe, and ended up looking as though they'd been in a swimming pool for hours.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:09 am

rockhopper wrote:The only "gloves" I've ever found to be really effective are goretex over mitts (outer only) which tend only to be used in really wet weather and I wear fleece gloves underneath them.

Agreed. And waterproof overmits also add windproofing as well, which makes them especially useful in the winter.

Sealskinz are a definite no for me. They are not warm and not waterproof at all. They simply soak up water and are then almost impossible to put back on if you ever take them off.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:24 am

The only gloves I've ever found to be actually properly waterproof in years of MTBing and walking are glacier gloves perfect curves.
But unless it's sub zero I don't use them much, too warm and your hands will smell like a dug.

Decathlon do a waterproof over mitt, about 20 quid, this works pretty well over my montane prisms.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby tweedledog » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:45 am

You could consider work gloves which are often waterproof and pretty tough. For example (I haven't tried these but I can't find a source for the work cgloves I have used for a while):

https://www.safetygloves.co.uk/ejendals-tegera-295-waterproof-thermal-work-gloves.html
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:04 am

I use a pair of Proviz waterproof gloves when cycling in cold/wet weather, but my hands get hot and sweaty in them even in a short cycle into work. I'm of the opinion that waterproof gloves are a bit of a fallacy and you're better taking a selection of gloves to change over throughout the walk. The over-mitts are probably a good solution too.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:38 pm

I am of the view that nothing is really waterproof, particularly in light of the gert big hole that you put your hand in.

I have found the best thing is to have multiple gloves you can change through the day, and that thin liner gloves are even better to keep changing out.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Scottk » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:30 pm

After many failed attempts at getting a good waterproof shell glove, I ended up buying cheap waterproof mitts from Decathlon. If it’s cold, I use montane extreme gloves or buffalo mitts. The waterproof mitts are very thin and see to be holding up so far but my hands do get sweaty inside them.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby simon-b » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:59 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:I am of the view that nothing is really waterproof, particularly in light of the gert big hole that you put your hand in.

I have found the best thing is to have multiple gloves you can change through the day, and that thin liner gloves are even better to keep changing out.

I agree entirely that more than one pair is the only way to keep hands dry in wet weather, or sometimes when scrambling on snow. So when budgeting, eg, two mid price pairs will do a better job over a wet day than one expensive pair. For multi day trips, four pairs are not excessive, although the price would be if they're all top of the range.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby kmai1961 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:04 pm

I have Raynaud's as well, and I never travel without at least two pairs (usually more) than the knit stretchy "magic" gloves that you can get in many places for £1-2 per pair; I usually treat myself to a dozen or so pairs each year, and keep a dry bag full of them in the extra kit bag that just stays in the car boot. I wear them year round; only on the warmest days am I not sporting a pair. In the winter, those knit gloves rarely, if ever, come off during an outing; they allow enough dexterity to do most things, get in and out of my rucksack, tie shoes, etc., and even eat, and they're usually are enough to keep the Raynaud's at bay. Swap them for a clean / dry pair as necessary (hence why I often carry more than two pairs).

In the winter, I wear cheap-ish ski gloves over them, that are fairly waterproof, at least in non-extreme conditions. They're usually available sometime during the year at Lidl for around £5 or so, and I'll buy multiple pairs of them as well. They seem to last forever, and a single pair has lasted me more than one season. I just throw all the gloves -- both knit and heavier ones -- in the washing machine with the rest of my kit.

Gloves are one of the things that seem to get dropped, lost, or blown away most often, and I've always been reluctant to spend more on them than the prices mentioned above. If I splashed out £45 or $50 or even more on a pair, I'd be certain to lose at least one of them on its first outing. :)
kmai1961
Wanderer

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:94   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:52   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:39   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:28 am

Andy Kirkpatrick maintains that the only waterproof gloves are marigolds (see his kit blogs, which imo are the best around).

I've not tried it, but it seems that it would be worth trying large size marigolds over some ordinary gloves. I wished I had done so this last week when scrambling on Tryfan, when my sealskinz gloves let in water in the first 10 minutes, and my hands, though still frozen numb, were warmer without the gloves than with.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk