walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Portable Radio

Portable Radio

Postby Cricket » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:21 pm

Hi guys!

Just wondering whether people have much experience using radios while hiking in the highlands (both in valleys and up mountains !) and in which case:
- Any recommendations (a couple of the roberts look good)?
- Advice re. FM/AM and DAB - I assume the later doesnt work great...

It would be for when hiking by myself and not wanting the miss the cricket!!

Cheers in advance!!
Tom
Cricket
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:10
Fionas:9   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:110   

Re: Portable Radio

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:41 am

I suppose it depends on how lightweight you want to go. A tiny radio which will fit in a pocket might not get much reception; a bigger one will get reception but will be heavier. I got a nice one from Amazon which is about the size of a brick, has a solar panel to recharge, a usb port so it can be charged from a computer or car mobile phone charger; it has a hand-crank charger and can also take regular batteries. It can be used as a power bank to recharge your mobile phone, and has two torches and a VERY LOUD emergency distress siren with red flashing light. Radio frequencies are short wave, AM, FM, and if you happen to be in North America, Weather Band where weather forecasts are broadcast. Shame we don't have that here in Dear Old Blighty. Try searching Amazon for Solar Crank Radio.
A wee radio is good company when out camping in the wilds, though it can lead to trauma - one midwinter's midnight in a freezing cold Callater bothy I listened to the radio to cheer myself up, only to hear a spooky news story about a haunting at a school. Another time in a tent in the middle of a blustery night high in the hills above Balquidder, the radio was switched on just in time to hear the BBC Shipping News announcer intone "Gale Force Nine, Conditions Worsening..." ! :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Jan Pawlowski » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:05 pm

I think that I'd use the radio to communicate with my companions.
Jan Pawlowski
Walker

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:01 pm

Depends obviously on your device and your preferences but I use my android mobile phone as a radio if I want to listen out and about. This of course assumes that you have a device that can take such an app (I don't think iPhones can access radio without internet, but don't have one so not certain on that), and also you have to listen via headphones as on a phone they act as the antenna.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Girl Outdoors » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:17 pm

You know what I'd go inexpensive and small/lightweight.
I have a tiny little one made by Sony. I wont try and give the model No as sure its no longer made. It wasnt even new when I got it years ago. Its about the size of a cigarette pack but much thinner and runs on a couple of AAA batteries which last ages. It weighs next to nothing. It just has MW and FM. I take it with to get weather forecasts when camping out in the hills. FM can be a bit dodgy at times but MW works fine.
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby sking40 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:01 pm

I had a really useful one from Roberts but it broke and it's now discontinued unfortunately (the build quality and design of Roberts stuff is frankly not very good). "R9994 Sports" I think it was - combination of small built-in speaker, MW, LW (most important), FM and FM Stereo with headphones, weighed under 100g and powered by 2xAAA batteries that lasted ages. I can't find anything currently available like this any more.

The Roberts "World Radio" I think is probably still around, but bigger and weighs quite a bit more.
sking40
Munro compleatist

Munros:242   

Postby Cricket » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:23 pm

Thanks all! Really useful food for thought! :)
Cricket
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:10
Fionas:9   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:110   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk