walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

How to make the inside of a tent darker?

How to make the inside of a tent darker?

Postby callumbrankin96 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:48 pm

With the nights getting shorter, how do i make the inside of my tent darker so i can sleep for longer?

I'm a light sleeper so having a pitch black environment is the only way i can sleep properly. I'm not a fan of sleep masks as i find them uncomfortable.

Unfortunately, my tent is a bright green Naturehike Cloud Up 1, which is quite luminous even in pitch black. Would buying a darker tent make it seem darker inside, such as a dark navy blue version of the same tent.

Instead of buying a new tent, would setting up a tarp to cover my tent stop enough of the morning sun from waking me up?

Does anyone have any other ideas to make the inside of a tent darker to promote longer sleep in the summer time?
callumbrankin96
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:34
Donalds:7
Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:23   

Re: How to make the inside of a tent darker?

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:45 am

Decathlon has the answer:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-camping/c3-blackout-tents/_/N-1404orw

Light they are not - 3kg for the 2 person.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby callumbrankin96 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:50 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:Decathlon has the answer:

Light they are not - 3kg for the 2 person.

I've looked at these as well as the Coleman Dark Room Tents and unfortunately, they're too heavy, especially for backpacking.

They could probably get it down to 2kg for a 1 person tent if they used lighter materials in the rain sheet and poles. Then it might be appropriate.

I'd pay decent money if they're able to do such a thing.
callumbrankin96
Mountain Walker

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:26 pm

A tarp might help but unless it's heavy canvas it won't block the light fully. Vid below shows a few popular tarps setup so you can see how much light gets through them, the heavy canvas one at the start blocks the light but is also VERY heavy.

You could try something like a military surplus tarp as a cheap-ish option, or I've got a DD Hammocks magic carpet. It's actually meant mainly as a groundsheet and I keep it in my day hiking bag for sitting on cold rocks/logs or wet ground but even the XL size is only 225g. I've also got the Cloudup-1 (in grey/red) and it might work between the inner and outer to block more light.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby prog99 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:28 pm

You can get a blackout mask which may be a bit simpler.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby calicoshmalico » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:15 pm

prog99 wrote:You can get a blackout mask which may be a bit simpler.

Yes and a lot lighter (pardon the pun) than Black out tents or dark sheets draped around the inside or over your tent. :lol:
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:58 pm

which is quite luminous even in pitch black.

No it's not! :D

Buff over your eyes, keeps the earplugs in too, for the sunrise birdsong.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:18 pm

Am a very light sleeper but can cope easily with light nights in a tent, i seem to drift on and off constantly in a tent, but listening to birdsong early morning is so relaxing and easily to drift off to sleep again.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby callumbrankin96 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:36 pm

cruachan06 wrote:A tarp might help but unless it's heavy canvas it won't block the light fully. Vid below shows a few popular tarps setup so you can see how much light gets through them, the heavy canvas one at the start blocks the light but is also VERY heavy.

You could try something like a military surplus tarp as a cheap-ish option, or I've got a DD Hammocks magic carpet. It's actually meant mainly as a groundsheet and I keep it in my day hiking bag for sitting on cold rocks/logs or wet ground but even the XL size is only 225g. I've also got the Cloudup-1 (in grey/red) and it might work between the inner and outer to block more light.

Very informative, I'll have a look at the recommended tarps.
callumbrankin96
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk