walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

2 quick reviews. Helikon-Tex satchel, Peter Storm Jacket

2 quick reviews. Helikon-Tex satchel, Peter Storm Jacket

Postby cruachan06 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Some new gear I got, which got a good workout in horrible rain and wind yesterday as I was out for my usual walk if I'm not doing anything else round Chatelherault Country Park's trails.

I appreciate not everyone will want a haversack/satchel as a day bag but I've had a lot of issues using a rucksack. I was using a standard Under Armour sports bag and getting a really sweaty back, to the point I was getting rashes and when I climbed Tinto and stopped at the top to enjoy the views and have a coffee I cooled down so rapidly that I felt really cold. Rucksacks with a mesh breathable back are either far too big or far too expensive for day hiking, so I bought a cheap military surplus Polish Bread Bag (a massive £4 from Military Mart!) as a way to test how I felt using a haversack rather than a rucksack. Felt good but it's just a wee bit too small for everything I would want to carry for a full day trip.

Enter the Helikon-Tex Bushcraft Satchel. It's broadly the same size as the Breadbag but wider, so takes everything I want. Cruasder mug and water bottle and fire dragon stove if I want a brew, both parts of my 3 in 1 Regatta jacket (depending on weather, fleece might be on and at this time of year the outer is too heavy, more on that in a bit), High5 water bottle with High5 Zero tablet drink in it, hat, gloves, sunglasses, ground sheet/sit pad and first aid kit are the main things, with the odd other thing depending on weather, location etc.

It's meant mainly for bushcraft as you can guess from the name, has PALS webbing on either side and along the bottom so can be expanded easily if required and has pockets and sleeves on either end for knives, saws and axes as required.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/tb-bst-np-bushcraft-satchel-bag-nylon-polyester-blend.html

Really happy with it, sits perfectly where you place it, wide 2" strap is comfy and can get to anything easily without taking the whole bag off as required. Probably only downside (if this is what you require) is that it's probably only suited for routes with light scrambling, but as I don't see myself tackling anything like that for the forseeable it's perfect for my needs.

Also wanted to get a lightweight waterproof, not just for this bag but for general use at this time of the year. I tend to run hot (hence the sweating issues above!) so the outer of a 3 in 1 jacket is far too heavy for me at this time of year. Bought a Peter Storm Packable jacket from Blacks on Argyle Street for £15 and it coped perfectly with the downpour yesterday afternoon, as did the bag. Wasn't too warm, and kept my upper half dry. Was wet enough that my trousers got soaked and didn't have waterproof trousers with me though. Only small issue I had was that the hood kept getting in my eyes, but solved that by putting on my baseball cap, which I needed anyway as the wind was in my face so that kept the rain out of my eyes. On special at £15 and weights ~150g in it's stuff sack and packs down small, so again perfect for my needs. Claims to be breathable, I doubt it at the price, but I was comfortable in it over a t-shirt yesterday, wasn't overly hot and had to keep it on for around 45 minutes.

https://www.peterstorm.com/073862/073862-ps-m-pack-jkt
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk