walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa SL Active (new)

Scarpa SL Active (new)

Postby tomshem93 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:51 pm

I ordered these online to replace my 8 year old pair of Alt Berg's and they feel pretty rigid.. not exactly the best across paths or trails. I got them with walking Munro's and they seem like they'd be suited to Torridon, Skye etc but a bit belt-and-braces for the more tame ones. Does anyone use these for Munro's and do they get a bit more forgiving in time for general hiking?
tomshem93
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:10

Re: Scarpa SL Active (new)

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:31 am

Haven't used them myself but there are a few on here who seem to swear by them. I think they're B1 crampon rated so are probably a good option for somebody who wants one year-round boot.

Personally I prefer to have a B1/2 boot for winter and a more flexible three-season boot for the reasons you listed.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby brpro26 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:14 pm

I've had a pair of these or similar variant for approx. 3-4 years. Yes they were a bit sturdy when new but after a few bogs and wet conditions they've eased off somewhat and now feel like slippers. I changed the insoles to refine the fit. Use them with flexible crampons in winter and all terrains in summer. I use wax on them to keep them water proofed and it also helps keep the leather conditioned. I prefer a heavy solid boot when walking so I'm biased.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Bonzo » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:03 pm

I used various reincarnations of Scarpa SLs from the mid-80s to the mid-00s but the later versions are too big, heavy and stiff so I reluctantly changed to Meindl.

There's no doubting their performance on heavier terrain but they're nowhere near the multifunction boot that they used to be.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby tomshem93 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:21 am

brpro26 wrote:I've had a pair of these or similar variant for approx. 3-4 years. Yes they were a bit sturdy when new but after a few bogs and wet conditions they've eased off somewhat and now feel like slippers. I changed the insoles to refine the fit. Use them with flexible crampons in winter and all terrains in summer. I use wax on them to keep them water proofed and it also helps keep the leather conditioned. I prefer a heavy solid boot when walking so I'm biased.

Cheers. I decided to keep them and give them a go as the build quality seems to be unmatched. Not enjoying the break-in at the moment but hopefully the investment of time will be worth it. I ordered them online with Nevis Sport to get a deal, so might pop into the shop to see if they'll do a complementary fitting with some other insoles for me.
tomshem93
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:10

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk