walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What tent would you recommend for long distance walking?

What tent would you recommend for long distance walking?

Postby Doodleplex » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi folks,

I hope I'm not repeating an old topic, but I figure even if I am someone will have something new to say! I'm looking for a lightweight tent for long distance walks (I'm planning on doing the West Highland Way later this year), and I was told walk highlands would be a great place to get suggestions :)

My upper budget would run to about £600, though I could push it if there was something truly phenomenal, I'd also be looking at a 2-person tent as the 1-person ones I've experienced are a little bit cramped... The final thing I'm thinking is I'd like something that's around 1kg to 1.5kg max, which may be a bit of a tall order!

I've currently got my eyes on the Vaude Power Lizard SUL 1-2P (I can't post a link as I'm new unfortunately, but it should be the top result in google) but might just be getting lured in by the name.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd really appreciate your wit and/or wisdom!
Doodleplex
Wanderer

Munros:13   

Re: What tent would you recommend for long distance walking?

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:57 am

Looks a decent tent, the only thing that would put me off is the small looking porch.

Doing the WHW, you'll always have the opportunity for a sheltered spot, so it doesn't need to be 4 season, but obviously if you plan on some more exposed camping in the future, that may be a consideration. I'd definitely go 2 person for a multi day, unless it's a period of perfect dry weather!. Gives you space to get in and out of wet kit, spread stuff out etc, the extra weight of 2 over 1 person tent is usually only 2 or 3 hundred gram.

Some recommendations - mine and friends tents - it's all an exercise in compromising though, need to get what suits you best, not anyone else.

Tarptent Scarp 1 (is called a 1, but in reality you could get 2 in there)
MSR Hubba Hubba NX
Vango F10 Xenon UL2
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Ewen1966 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:13 pm

If you are quick you could try to get a Dan Durston xmid 1 or 2 with solid inner today. They go on sale at 16:00 but they sell out in seconds. 1kg, 2 person, inner suited to Scotland, not all mesh. I've been trying to get one for 2 years now.
Costs under 400 quid including import and postage. Downsides - getting one and the wait for delivery.
The power lizard is similar to my F10 helium. Light but cramped. You won't want to be stuck in it during rain
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby Ewen1966 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:40 pm

Ewen1966 wrote:If you are quick you could try to get a Dan Durston xmid 1 or 2 with solid inner today. They go on sale at 16:00 but they sell out in seconds. 1kg, 2 person, inner suited to Scotland, not all mesh. I've been trying to get one for 2 years now.
Costs under 400 quid including import and postage. Downsides - getting one and the wait for delivery.
The power lizard is similar to my F10 helium. Light but cramped. You won't want to be stuck in it during rain

And I actually managed to get one....
Should have it in August. Now to save up for the customs duty :D
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:09 pm

Good stuff! :clap:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Doodleplex » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:37 pm

Ah, the problem of only checking forums once a day, doh! The Dan Durston tent looks great, hope you enjoy it Ewen!

And thanks as well for the recommendations AyrshireAlps, I'll take a poke around that list and see what I think :)
Doodleplex
Wanderer

Munros:13   

Postby Ewen1966 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:45 am

The scarp seems to be the one that has consistently good feedback out of Ayrshire alps list.
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:10 am

Folk get put off the HH as it's listed as inner first pitch, in reality it's just as simple to pitch the outer first.

Brilliant tent.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:40 am

The Tarptent Scarp 1: ticks a lot of boxes: 1.3kg, lots of space, decent porch for cooking, doors on either side, solid tent in bad weather, becomes 4 season with the cross over poles.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby boriselbrus » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:43 am

I've been very happy with my Nordisk Telemark 2 and it ticks all your boxes.
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 pm

I've got a Naturehike Cloudup-1 which I like and there is a 2 person version of it. However having used it a few times now I would definitely choose a tent with side entry rather than end entry. Easier to take your dirty shoes off and swing your legs in that way etc.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk