walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lightweight smock recommendation ?

Lightweight smock recommendation ?

Postby bartape » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 pm

Hello,

I have a Montane Extreme Smock and this garment fits the bill for my autumnal & winter mountain walks. I can zip up and seal myself away from the elements within this garment and I like the snug warm feeling. The kangaroo pouch pocket is very handy for storing all the stuff ( camera, food, GPS, maps etc) I like to have easily to hand.

But… work hard up a hill from June to say October and the Extreme smock is just way too hot...

I am looking for recommendations of a smock style garment for ‘summer' (HA !) use. It must have a kangaroo pouch type pocket and not leave me sweltering in my own perspiration or if it rains, but I recognise that perfection is not out there...

I think a Paramo Fuera Classic fits the bill but unfortunately I have struggled to find this item in a small.

Thanks all…
bartape
Hill Bagger

Munros:71   

Re: Lightweight smock recommendation ?

Postby nathan79 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:57 pm

The Paramo Fuera option would likely fit the bill. Though be warned if you run hot you'll still be sweltering in your own perspiration. Not the most breathable, I very rarely wear mine in summer. I have an old Rab hooded perfect smock that's much better suited to summer.

The Buffalo windshirt or teclite shirt(if you want an attached hood) might be worth checking out. Not kangaroo pocket but the large chest/front pocket holds plenty.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby cruachan06 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:24 pm

Peter Storm Jacket

Might be worth a look especially at the price, I bought the full zip version of this a few weeks ago and it performed pretty well in a downpour. It claims to be breathable (doubt it truly is at the price) but I was certainly fine in the 45 minutes or so that I had it on in the rain with just a t-shirt under it.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby MRG1 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:13 am

I use a Paramo Velez light smock all year round.

It's a bit too warm in summer itemperatures but my understanding is that many people have worn the smock next to skin to help out.
As you alluded too nothing is perfect but I find it a good bit of kit

I've found that it keeps snug and warm at the lower end until you stop moving for any length of time. Therefore I carrya gillet "just in case."
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Peltast » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:27 pm

Buffalo Windshirt has a kangaroo pocket as does their Cubar - which also adds a hood..
Peltast
Scrambler

Postby bartape » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:56 pm

Hello,

Thanks all for your input - it's given me food for thought !
bartape
Hill Bagger

Munros:71   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk