walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleeping bag & mat

Sleeping bag & mat

Postby arbey48 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:50 pm

Hi folks, I'm a newbie and LDWA walker planning to walk down from Aberdeen to Edinburgh this September, camping on the route. Haven't walked and camped since I was a Boy Scout, many tens of years ago. I've been looking at bags and was recommended to this site by highlander-outdoor whose Serenity 250 & 350 bags I've been looking at.
Can any long-distance walker/hiker with experience of this side of Scotland at this time of year offer me the benefit of their knowledge / experience to guide my choices for a bag and inflatable mat?
Many thanks in advance
arbey48
Walker

Re: Sleeping bag & mat

Postby davekeiller » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:10 pm

An idea of budget would help, as would weight and size considerations.
There's no point us recommending an ultralight down bag that costs £500 and weighs about 20g if your budget is £50 and you're planning to use a baggage transfer service so that weight isn't an issue.
I'm guessing you're a man, but how tall, and broad are you?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby brpro26 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:01 pm

Alpkit Cloud Peak sleeping bag 2 or 3 Season with Dirtbag inflatable mat looks a good match to me.
Highlander rucksack, like the Nevis one would be perfect to use. My opinion... they'll be more to follow nae doubt.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:9   

Postby arbey48 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:06 pm

davekeiller wrote:An idea of budget would help, as would weight and size considerations.
There's no point us recommending an ultralight down bag that costs £500 and weighs about 20g if your budget is £50 and you're planning to use a baggage transfer service so that weight isn't an issue.
I'm guessing you're a man, but how tall, and broad are you?

I figured the info you want is mostly in my post. Serenity bags are synthetic fill cost circa £70. I'm male, 80kg bodyweight, 180cm height. Trust this helps you to share the benefit of your experience.
arbey48
Walker

Postby arbey48 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:45 pm

brpro26 wrote:Alpkit Cloud Peak sleeping bag 2 or 3 Season with Dirtbag inflatable mat looks a good match to me.
Highlander rucksack, like the Nevis one would be perfect to use. My opinion... they'll be more to follow nae doubt.

Thanks for the heads-up on these two recommendations. I'll add the bag to my list though I think the Airo 180 is possibly a better choice for me. The R value is higher, it's self-inflatable and lighter mass. But thank you so much for sharing with me your experience & recommendation.
I really appreciate this, because I have no experience of the geography/ environmental conditions for this part of the country
arbey48
Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:07 pm

Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby davekeiller » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:19 pm

It's worth looking at the other threads. At that price point you're going to get a synthetic bag, personally I've always been happy with Vango, but the Alpkit has a good reputation. If you can afford to spend a bit more, Rab or Snugpak have good reputations.
Look for a 3 season bag that has a comfort temperature rating of around freezing as frost is (just) possible at that time of year.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk