walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What bike do I need?

What bike do I need?

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:18 am

Hi folks,

After several years of doing monster walk-ins/walk-outs to approach hills my feet are finally telling me I need to get a bike. I've pretty much not even rode a bike since I was 13 so I have no idea where to begin with brand or type of bike, suspension etc. I'd mainly be using it for estate tracks and the like, e.g. Gleann Mor, Ben Alder estate, Linn o' Dee, so not exactly rough terrain. I wouldn't rule out doing road cycling but my main aim is to cut down on doing three hours of walking on tracks before and after doing a hill.

I don't really have a budget in mind so am open to suggestions from entry-level to fairly high-end. I know serious bike folk end up with about six different bikes for various things - I'd ideally like to keep it down to one bike, if possible :lol:.

Cheers,

Iain
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Re: What bike do I need?

Postby Kenny Raeside » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:51 am

If it’s just for estate tracks then you don’t need suspension. Puncture resistant tyres and a low bottom gear would be top of my list.
I cycled the Ben Alder estate road this week on my folding city bike, it’s a decent track. The linn o Dee tracks are a bit rougher, I’d want decent off road type tyres on that kind of track.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby 6Tops » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:58 am

A bike certainly helps with lots of approaches. The three general types that do the job are:
(1) straight-handlebar bike with no suspension, typically described as a 'hybrid' or 'leisure' bike
(2) drop-handlebar bike with no suspension and wide tyres: 'gravel bike' or 'adventure bike'
(3) hardtail mountain bike (mtb), with straight bars and front suspension.

I've used all three types but with (1) and (2) you get pretty battered on rougher tracks or may need to get off and walk. So (3) is the most versatile solution. Within the 'mtb' category the most suitable bikes are those described as 'xc' (cross country) rather than 'trail' (most mtbs are designed for downhill fun at trail centres). Xc mtbs typically have aluminium frames, 100mm of front suspension, 29" wheels with tyres a bit wider than 2 inches, and disk brakes. You can get decent ones for ~£600 but moving up to £800-900 gets you better components (e.g. air suspension rather than coil spring, hydraulic rather than mechanical brakes) and a slightly lighter bike. Examples include Trek Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, Voodoo Bizango (Halfords), Sonder Dial (Alpkit) -- there must be plenty more.

Hope this helps, and it'll be interesting to see what others suggest.
Rob F
6Tops
Mountaineer

Munros:258   Corbetts:36
Donalds:1

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:06 pm

6Tops wrote:A bike certainly helps with lots of approaches. The three general types that do the job are:
(1) straight-handlebar bike with no suspension, typically described as a 'hybrid' or 'leisure' bike
(2) drop-handlebar bike with no suspension and wide tyres: 'gravel bike' or 'adventure bike'
(3) hardtail mountain bike (mtb), with straight bars and front suspension.

I've used all three types but with (1) and (2) you get pretty battered on rougher tracks or may need to get off and walk. So (3) is the most versatile solution. Within the 'mtb' category the most suitable bikes are those described as 'xc' (cross country) rather than 'trail' (most mtbs are designed for downhill fun at trail centres). Xc mtbs typically have aluminium frames, 100mm of front suspension, 29" wheels with tyres a bit wider than 2 inches, and disk brakes. You can get decent ones for ~£600 but moving up to £800-900 gets you better components (e.g. air suspension rather than coil spring, hydraulic rather than mechanical brakes) and a slightly lighter bike. Examples include Trek Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, Voodoo Bizango (Halfords), Sonder Dial (Alpkit) -- there must be plenty more.

Hope this helps, and it'll be interesting to see what others suggest.
Rob F

Just the kind of info I was after - cheers!
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby Andy Milne » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:33 pm

I got a custom built (converted) ebike based on a carrera Vulcan frame from a bloke in Peterculter (Aberdeenshire)
Cost less than a ‘standard’ ebike from Halfords, but had disc brakes etc and a 21Ahr battery ( which I believe is @50% bigger than standard batteries) and having used it for long cycles in recently I can only recommend it
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:49 pm

6Tops wrote:.

^ that's great advice.

I'm hardtail owner, it does everything I need of it. Mines a higher budget - £1500 or so, but then I mountain bike as one of my other hobbies. It gets me into hills to walk, slithers around local single-track and allows me to watch my son's disappear into the distance at trail centres. It's even carried me around the Alps.

There's starting to be some bargains - Sonder have a demo sale on, and even local LBS's have a couple of modest discounts on in my area.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:39 pm

I've got a 2019 Giant Tough Road SLR 2, it's essentially a flat bar gravel bike. Big tyres that soak up Edinburgh's potted roads.

It's my daily commuter to work but I'll happily take it on the estate tracks you mention. Cost me £825 pre pandemic, no need to spend silly money tbh.

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:44 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:I've got a 2019 Giant Tough Road SLR 2, it's essentially a flat bar gravel bike. Big tyres that soak up Edinburgh's potted roads.

It's my daily commuter to work but I'll happily take it on the estate tracks you mention. Cost me £825 pre pandemic, no need to spend silly money tbh.

I actually re-watxhed that video earlier because I remembered you did a bike review.

:lol:

That bike seems to have gone up with inflation or demand sadly but will keep an eye!
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:46 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:
6Tops wrote:.

^ that's great advice.

I'm hardtail owner, it does everything I need of it. Mines a higher budget - £1500 or so, but then I mountain bike as one of my other hobbies. It gets me into hills to walk, slithers around local single-track and allows me to watch my son's disappear into the distance at trail centres. It's even carried me around the Alps.

There's starting to be some bargains - Sonder have a demo sale on, and even local LBS's have a couple of modest discounts on in my area.

Are the Sonders any good? I've a few bits of Alpkit stuff which I've found good quality etc. Didn't realise they did bikes until I saw that sale earlier.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Postby Plug » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 pm

The advice to buy a hardtail mountain bike (mtb), with straight bars and front suspension for £600 to £1000 is spot on.

I would add a cautionery note on terrain though: basically, that cycling into Ben Alder is a breeze compared say with the rougher track into Glen Affric Youth Hostel.

One of the consequences of rougher cycling terrain is that while it will always save you time, the transfer from cycling to walking can be demanding aerobically and basically result in feeling more tired than if just walking.
Plug
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:01 pm

Perhaps unsurprisingly I'd also come down on the side of a hardtail...in my case a Specialized Rockhopper (from 2009/10 I think). I'm still using a 26" wheel but, if upgrading, would go for a bigger diameter. Can handle almost any type of terrain. Bought it with standard brakes then converted to mechanical disc brakes as I didn't want hydraulic.

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:46 am

Cheapest bog-standard hardtail MTB you can get. Personally I love my full suspension EMTB but who'd want to leave an expensive toy for hours? A Halfords Carrera is about £400 new and that means about half that on the masses of Gumtree adverts (depending where you live).

If you're less likely to worry than me and you're okay leaving a slightly more expensive bike at the bottom of a hill, you can start to get a hardtail EMTB for about £1000. You still have to pedal, but my goodness it takes out some of the pain especially on the climbs. Those three miles will wizz by whilst leaving a huge grin on your face and no creak in your knees... providing you're okay with hedging the thing in the wild for a few hours you'll actually look forward to the cycle home.

Electric bikes are huge fun. Even the most ardent "clockwork" advocate can't help but flash a grin of enthusiasm when they first try an E-Bike.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby peter1 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:18 pm

I would agree with the suggestions of an eMTB also. (How do you know someone has an eMTB? They tell you!). And if the money stretches to a set of Jones H bar handlebars, all the better - I find them much easier on the wrists than straight handlebars.
Having said all that, whichever bike you choose, I would HIGHLY recommend a strong rear carrier and a pannier. Putting most of your walking gear into a pannier leaves you with a very light rucsac - this significantly reduces the effort needed for cycling! (personal experience over many kms!)
Good luck!
peter1
Mountain Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:2   

Postby Backpacker » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:24 pm

Is anyone able to recommend a folding ebike for doing the standard and slightly rougher estate tracks?

Looking at my corbett and graham lists I've a few where a bike would be more than beneficial.
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:07 pm

peter1 wrote:I would agree with the suggestions of an eMTB also. (How do you know someone has an eMTB? They tell you!). And if the money stretches to a set of Jones H bar handlebars, all the better - I find them much easier on the wrists than straight handlebars.
Having said all that, whichever bike you choose, I would HIGHLY recommend a strong rear carrier and a pannier. Putting most of your walking gear into a pannier leaves you with a very light rucsac - this significantly reduces the effort needed for cycling! (personal experience over many kms!)
Good luck!

Think the weight of an e-bike would put me off to be honest. That and I would take the calories burnt riding a bike than the convenience of an e-bike.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk