walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

water purification

water purification

Postby theduksguts » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:36 pm

can anyone give me any advice on this subject please , since my kids (7+12) have been coming on longer walks with me im now finding it very hard to walk long distances with the amount of water requred for 3 or 4 people to carry over a weekend , i have been boiling water from lochs when needed but this is not always practible and im not sure also if this is entirley safe either , ive had a look at different systems on the internet but dont know where to start , any help would be much appreciated
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Munros:63   

Re: water purification

Postby niblue » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 pm

I've got one of the Katadyn Hiker water filters that I sometimes take with me when camping. It wasn't too expensive and it works well enough.

If I'm up high though I'll sometimes just fill up straight from a stream, but lower down I'd be more inclined to filter the water.

Having said that I drank water from Scottish lochs, rivers and streams many, many times when I was younger with no ill effects. I'd expect that if you're boiling the water anyway the risks will be pretty low however that will depend on where you are.
niblue
Mountaineer

Munros:56   Corbetts:3
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby theduksguts » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:58 pm

ye niblue like yourself when i was a kid i would just drink staight from lochs or burns , you never gave it a second thought if it looked clear , i think these days though we all no what kind organisims can actualy be present and especialy for the kids i wouldnt want them getting ill miles from help , thanks for the reply niblue , i'll check that 1 out :D
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Postby sloosh » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:07 am

You might get some ideas from this thread:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9189
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby tango » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:59 pm

Purification tablets, cheap & cheerful! "nearly".. :lol: , they can taste a tad funny so some sort of powder to spice up the waterbottle isn't a bad idea!!..take the water from fast flowing rivers, always good to check 20 metres up stream just to make some animal hasnt pegged it in the water!! "most of putting" :sick: ... thats what i do & its worked for me.. :D , Anything just else just shout... cheers
tango

Postby theduksguts » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:12 pm

brilliant cheers guys
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Postby Hendos van » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Hendos van
Munro compleatist

Munros:261   Corbetts:1

Postby Frogwell » Mon May 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Milton fluid for sterilising babies bottles etc. A few drops of that in a litre of water, leave it for 15 minutes and you're sorted. A 500ml bottle will cost under a £1 and last years. Or normal household bleach will do the same, you've just got to be careful not to overdo it though.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:263   Corbetts:50
Grahams:8   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby rogers » Sat May 07, 2011 2:26 pm

I use oasis water purification tablets packs of 50 for just over £2, 1 tablet purifies 1ltr of water, you can get them from a website called evaq8, of course i always try to fill my bottle at the source or as high up the hill as possible, i have noticed on my recent walks down in the scottish borders the occasional dead sheep or lamb lying in a burn :sick:
rogers
Mountaineer

Munros:48   Corbetts:15
Grahams:11   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:1

Postby KGBMC » Sat May 07, 2011 9:48 pm

Ive walked these hills for 50 odd years and drank freely from burns and lochs and luckily never had a problem

Are we getting to NAMBY PAMBY ?
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby kinley » Sat May 07, 2011 10:26 pm

KGBMC wrote:Ive walked these hills for 50 odd years and drank freely from burns and lochs and luckily never had a problem

Are we getting to NAMBY PAMBY ?

dunno - if you think you've been lucky to not have a problem why are you asking? ;)
kinley

Postby flipside » Mon May 09, 2011 7:47 pm

i am the same lochs and burns seem to work ok for me :D, never had a drama so far
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:218   Corbetts:1
Grahams:5   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:22

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk