walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Katadyn BeFree water filter

Katadyn BeFree water filter

Postby KC Pendragon » Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:54 pm

Does anyone use this? Looking for something reliable, lightweight and simple to use. Thanks
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:135
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Re: Katadyn BeFree water filter

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:07 pm

Yeah, had mine well over a year now and the bottle has gone a bit discoloured but still going well flow wise. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby KC Pendragon » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:41 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Yeah, had mine well over a year now and the bottle has gone a bit discoloured but still going well flow wise. 8)

Thanks Robin! Does it give the water a taste?
Also have to replace my sleeping mat, any recommendations for lightweight mats (for short trips mainly but also thinking ahead to Cape Wrath trail). Thanks so much :thumbup:
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:135
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Postby AllyRdr » Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:51 pm

I've never noticed any additional taste using mine, beyond that of any "local flavour" from the water itself.
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:47 am

KC Pendragon wrote:Thanks Robin! Does it give the water a taste?
Also have to replace my sleeping mat, any recommendations for lightweight mats

No not really to be honest, tastes fine.

I like my Exped Synmat HL M mat for 3 season stuff. I prefer when the baffles run from head to toe rather than across the mat, more support for my dodgy back. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby DavidShepherd » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:18 pm

KC Pendragon wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:Yeah, had mine well over a year now and the bottle has gone a bit discoloured but still going well flow wise. 8)

Thanks Robin! Does it give the water a taste?
Also have to replace my sleeping mat, any recommendations for lightweight mats (for short trips mainly but also thinking ahead to Cape Wrath trail). Thanks so much :thumbup:

I use a sea to summit etherlight xt insulated matt pretty much year round: https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/sleep/sleeping-mats/ether-light-xt-insulated-mat/
Yeah, wee bit pricey but it is an investment and I am a side sleeper so its great for that also. And that 425g weight for the regular is fantastic.
DavidShepherd
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:17 pm

I've got a Berghaus Peak Pro mat, only used it in summer so far so can't talk about insulation but it's certainly light and comfortable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DLW8Z5L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Can't comment on the water filter, I've got a Sawyer Mini and also just bought a Forest Fundamentals millbank bag, going to try using it for water collection as it's a lot cheaper than a bladder and use a cut off drinks bottle to funnel it in to the Sawyer.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby LobeyD » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:33 pm

An excellent bit of kit. Difficult to tell how well it filters as I've never been sick before or after using it.

There is definitely a taste to it, slightly chemically but it is barely noticeable and much less than most UK tap water (although in Glasgow we're a bit spoiled with good Trossachs water :D). The only time it was very noticeable was when I accidently made coffee with water I'd decanted via the BeFree and it had a very noticeable impact on the taste.

Seems pretty robust, although I have heard you need to be careful with the cap hinge.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Chris from Bingley » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:51 pm

Love the filter - easy to use, good flow - but I’ve had x2 and both have pretty strong plastic taste - not sure if it really varies between the filters or it’s just that some of us notice it more! Taste hasn’t decreased despite lots of litres filtered.
Chris
Chris from Bingley

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:09 pm

Try a Milton tablet to refresh the bottle a bit. Will help clean the filter too, as I've heard some people soak them in diluted bleach to prolong the life of the filter.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby steveo73 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:35 am

I steep my filter now and again in distilled white vinegar in a wine glass for 30mins. You can notice the difference after it does the job nicely.
steveo73
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:71+44
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk