walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best Insect repellent?

Re: Best Insect repellent?

Postby Rossco » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 pm

:shock:

That picture just made me buy a bottle of Smidge. The midges are always around me annoying me but don't seem to get any bites but that has scared me into parting the cash.
Rossco
Mountain Walker

Munros:129   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:4

Postby dob99 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:53 am

In general, the secret, I fond, is simply to cover up, and hat which you can't cover, slap on anything which tastes "nasty" to them (I swear by Avon Skin So Soft)

Secondly is to be sensible - most biting insects like a combination of warmth, high humidity, and still air

The West Coast is legendary for midges, especially in late summer - this august I witnessed a swarm the likes of which I've only seen with bees, you could measure their thickness on the window sill with a ruler!

So much for midges, I can just about cope with them, and I don't seem to react excessively to them (I'm a mild smoker, some say they don't like the taste, but others argue you attract them with the elevated levels of CO2.

I am, however, a tick-magnet - They can find me in the most unlikely locations - avoid long grass,and check yourself regulary - they don't seem to hurt but you don't want to catch Lyme disease (buy an O'Tom tick remover before setting out, ones for animals are just as good for humans!)

Finally, my ultimate hate - clegs! (Horseflies)

They sneak up from behind (seem to be attracted to bright colours, or pale skin) and very softly land - the next thing is you feel the all too familiar stinging of their mandibles chewing at your flesh!

Swat them off as quickly as possible, and clean with an antiseptic or sterile swab, and hope for the best - if you're lucky it'll heal in a week and you won't have picked up an infection!

It's rumored the main reason for the Romans stopping at the Antonine wall is that they couldn't stand the beasties further north - I'm blue-eyed and presumably of indigenous stock - my better half is of sallow complexion and has brown eyes, she only has to think of midges and comes out in lumps, I can be eaten alive and twelve hours later everything is back to normal.

Perhaps genetics has something to do with it?
dob99
Hill Bagger

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:26 pm

dob99 wrote:Perhaps genetics has something to do with it?

I read an article recently that states exactly that. Not only does the way you react to bites have a genetic component, but even how attractive you are to the midge depends on your genes.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby rikmillard » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:54 pm

I've bought a can of Smidge for my WHW (8 days) next week - Now i'm worried - is one can enough?
Can anyone advise, i know it's a bit "how long is a piece of string" but how many cans is normal?
rikmillard
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:21 am

rikmillard wrote:I've bought a can of Smidge for my WHW (8 days) next week - Now i'm worried - is one can enough?
Can anyone advise, i know it's a bit "how long is a piece of string" but how many cans is normal?

I'd probably take 2 cans, but you should be able to pick some more up at Tyndrum (Green Welly Shop) if necessary.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby KatTai » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:26 am

I use the neem spray I get for the dogs, haven't picked up any ticks since using it and the dogs just get the odd one every now and then. Was very effective when two very silly dogs jumped in a patch of bracken sending up a huge cloud of midges, got away with just a few bites and sprayed inside the car and that kept them out of the car. Only stopped to give the dogs a toilet break! I like having one thing that does us all :lol:
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:15 pm

Nothing works for me, midge magnet along with ticks,clegs anything small and nasty.

Best join the dot wins a bottle of Smidge.

562897.PNG
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 pm

dob99 wrote: Finally, my ultimate hate - clegs! (Horseflies)

They sneak up from behind (seem to be attracted to bright colours, or pale skin) and very softly land - the next thing is you feel the all too familiar stinging of their mandibles chewing at your flesh!

Got my first cleg bite of the year on Sunday whilst in the Lake District which I guess means they'll probably be out and biting in Scotland already or very soon.

72 hours on it's finally stopped getting bigger but I still have two very different sized arms with the swelling extending into my lymph system as my body attempts to deal with the fluid that's built up and a fairly major histamine reaction :(

If anyone has any tips how to avoid them* or prevent them biting** I'd love to know. Do any of the repellents actually kill/deter them? Smidge does zip all for clegs.

My past solutions have involved wearing more clothes so they can't bite through them but having nearly keeled over wearing a goretex in 20 odd C I'm not sure that's the best solution. A stiff breeze keeps them away too... but again that's not always available.

* staying indoors till September isn't an option
** wearing chain mail or similar is not an option
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Coop » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm

rikmillard wrote:I've bought a can of Smidge for my WHW (8 days) next week - Now i'm worried - is one can enough?

If you get about 10 or 12 cans and make one of them Aussie style hats out of them it'll do for a fair few of them but some may still get through :D
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Clegs bit through my lovely icebreaker base layer leaving a hole :( I understand they prefer dark colours so a light coloured top may be the answer- but a lot of outdoor gear seems to be quite dark.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Spade » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 pm

Take my pals old socks with you the smells unreal and nothing will ever bite you again! :shock:
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:09 pm

I realise this is a bumped old post, but vitamin B1 thiamine is the best repellant.

Having marmite and toast in the morning isn't going to work, you need to take a supplement and start taking a good 2-3 months before the midge season kicks in. Make sure the supplements have at least 100mg per tablet of B1 too.

Works for me, clegs, ticks and midges tend to avoid me. :D
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby mynthdd2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:18 pm

Eureka spray for me....
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby EileanB » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Where do you get Eureka spray Mynthdd2? I used to use it all the time, but haven't been able to find any for ages.
I think it's meant to be the bog myrtle in it that works so well.
EileanB
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:56 pm

EileanB wrote:Where do you get Eureka spray Mynthdd2? I used to use it all the time, but haven't been able to find any for ages.
I think it's meant to be the bog myrtle in it that works so well.

http://www.bitefree.co.uk/shop-online-insect-repellent/
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk