walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which Car?

Which Car?

Postby cheekykarma » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:19 pm

Well thought this was more gear than General.

We all use vehicles mostly - to get to the car parks and travel around to the start points campsites etc.

I am in the range now of looking to get mobile again - eh from the second hand used world thanks - all you new car people leave now :twisted:

I am in a local rambler group - we car pool - so yes consider a vehicle that can take at least 4 passengers - and rucksacks - even at a squeeze
Economy would be sensible - and also I want something for me too, to enjoy on solo runs and jaunts into the wilds. I love finding those little roads on OS maps and driving down them.

I am burdened in my choice by being a man! So sensible and economical options are marred by manly wants.

My first want showing this......

Land Rover Freelander TD4 model - WHY! may you ask - well firstly cos it says LAND ROVER! and thats a man thing! :) But it just looks the part and I would indulge in a little gaylander offroading tracks as well as enjoy something that can tackle snow quite well .......... but expensive to run - repair - etc etc - but did I mention it says LAND ROVER! on it :)

And yes the defender and the toyota are gods of 4x4 but really I am not going to be driving up the munros! Just parking near em :)

Now the others

Ford Mondeo - good size - great second hand prices with mileage as low as 10k miles - 1.6 1.8 versions - lots of space

VW Golf - bit smaller - second hand - the 1.9 2litre TDI diesels come with around 20 to 30K miles at great prices - very good MPG too - the smaller slower 1.4 wow on economy

Honda Civic - the nippy option - quite a fast slick car - some diesel version though again offer impressive MPG

Volvo S40 - again maybe not as roomy as the mondeos monster boot - but stil ample 4 or 5 seater - not too bad MPG - bit more oomph to the 1.8 2lt versions - but the 1.6 again nice prices with mileages around 20k

Renault Clio and Peugeot 307 i think - again diesels offering good mpg - good low mileage examples too

I am after a vehicle that I will put lots of miles on. I so love the Land Rover - and yes - I have been on many land rover forums etc and know all the freelander issues - but the TD4 after 2004 models are pretty good at what they do - compared with other 4x4s - they laugh at the trendy brigades - but are put to shame by the proper 4x4 shoguns etc as its an AWD after all - but in snow - and light off roading - its quite good - but expensive yes i know i know - i just like em .. and did i mention it says Land Rover on it!!!! - even has a CD! :)

And this is a man thing - once you like a model of vehicle you just cannot see past them! No matter what! All sense goes out the window.

First ever car was a Volvo 360 which was faaantastic! Ive had a Volvo 440 and a BMW 320 - and way back inbetween a wee fiesta and a micra too - oh the shame :)

So what is your trusty horse or steed?

Anyone with a Freelander 2 by the way ................ I hate you! :D

What has got you around the country, what is your steed of choice for regular long runs and camping, trekking trips? Have you gone for diesel economy? Great Mpg? Small but reliant? Do you want boot space? I find a luxury when using campsites a bigger car as you can just store kit - take extras like chairs etc Cooler boxes etc Then have your daypack option.

Be interesting to hear all your trusty steeds you use to horse you around the roads to the mountains. All you people with HSE Range Rovers.......... :evil: Just dont even reply :) And stop sucking oil wells dry!!!
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Which Car?

Postby Left Behind » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:50 pm

Land Rover has reliability issues unfortunately, but keep their value well.

How about a Hyundai Santa Fe, not as good off road as a land rover but will get you through most rough roads the highlands have to offer, comes in 7 seater too for around £24k-sih.

Personally I have a Civic. Does the job most times, but it's generally only me that I'm taking.
Left Behind
Hill Bagger

Postby cheekykarma » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks left behind

I do like the civic shape - nice looking little car

Actually one of the best of the recent redesigns really very nice look to it
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Postby Rogue » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:17 am

I have the Honda Accord with the 2.2 weasel engine, same as the civic, Dundee to cairngorm and home at the weekend returned 52 mpg. Happy with that!
Rogue
Munro compleatist

Munros:80   

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 am

I used to drive a pertol engined Land Rover for work - the best it could do was 19mpg.

My current car is the best I've had and it took a lot of persuading by a taxi driver pal to get me to buy one. It's a Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 tdi, over 3 yrs old now, massive boot, nothing ever gone wrong, bulletproof paintwork, £110 tax, low insurance, cheap servicing at local VW place.
3 of us travelled up from Tyneside to Speyside the other week with loads of gear + tents and the return trip gave 61mpg. I can live with the jokes.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby KGBMC » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 am

I have had a Nissan X trail for 5 years now and for economy, space and reliability I would not change it

Ihave carried 4 passengers with all the camping gear and have also slept in the back with seats folded down

I have went through the Land Rover phase, but will stick at ppresent to the Nissan
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:47 am

Skoda Octavia estate may very well be my next motor in a couple of years. The Scout model with higher right height and possibly even the 4x4 version. If not that a Skoda Yeti. (secretly hoping Land Rover bring out a cheap to maintain, 70mpg Defender. Then i can drive my flying pig wherever i go)

I drive a Leon diesel that gets me 50+miles per gallon, 85k miles on it and should be good for almost another 80k more. I cringe at the battering some of those horrid B roads give it though.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby yellowbelly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Peugeot 406 diesel estate (110 bhp). Acres of space and great motorway cruiser plus room to sleep in the back. 55 mpg on long runs - pick up a 2003 model for £3k. Will keep going for ever (I hope!).
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby IainG » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 am

Another Skoda recommendation. A Fabia 1.9SDi Estate, bought with 30k miles and it now has 120k, 90k done over the last three years. Has never broken down, has only had routine maintenance, and returns on average 65mpg. £90 a year tax.

Plus, nobody would steal a Skoda!
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Bonzo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:29 pm

My wife has had two Civics and she definitely won't be having another.

The first began to suffer from various engine issues surrounding a noticeable loss in performance and poor MPG. Various visits to the Honda garage resulted in nothing being found so we lived with the problem for many months before Honda offered us the chance to part exchange for a new Civic at a good price.

The second Civic hasn't suffered from the issues of the first but both have suffered from poor interior quality, terrible plastics and various squeaks and rattles from various fittings. Interior build issues on the second Civic has resulted in it going back to the dealers on 5 occasions - the problem still exists.

The Civic isn't cheap to own. We've had to have all discs and pads replaced on the second Civic after only 18000 miles. Honda told us that they use thin discs in order to keep the weight down and therefore save on fuel. This is absolute tosh as the cost of the discs\pads massively outweighs any fuel benefits. We know of two other Civic owners who've had to replace discs\pads before 20000 miles and they too aren't happy.

Add the bone jarring suspension, appalling rear visibility and the lack of a heating element in the plastic part of the rear hatch (which scratches if you use an ice scraper) to the list and I truly wonder what possessed us to buy one in the first place, never mind risk having a second one!
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby foggieclimber » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:12 pm

cheekykarma wrote: Anyone with a Freelander 2 by the way ................ I hate you! :D

Have a Freelander 2 which is really good.
Would prefer a Disco but Fuel Consumption is pants.

Best non-Landie car I had for the hills was an Audi A6 Estate.
foggieclimber

Postby Gorf01 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:01 pm

An old Land Rover run on chip fat?
Gorf01
Stravaiging

Munros:2   Corbetts:5
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:27

Postby cheekykarma » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:07 pm

Foggieclimber :twisted: :D

Some not bad makes and suggestions from folks so far and nice to know what folks use. Really a car is a car in the end of the day. If it gets you to the hills and to what you enjoy as after all its getting there and getting out the thing we all want.

Just hillwalkers campers etc will tend to want for a bit of space or utility versus long mileage. I am central Scotland so its amazing where you can get to within 2 to 5 hrs drive. And it is a bit ironic really that to appreciate many areas and get out and about in the environment - the car is thee greatest tool at our disposal in this new age of Green awareness.
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:41 pm

cheekykarma wrote:Foggieclimber :twisted: :D

Really a car is a car in the end of the day. If it gets you to the hills and to what you enjoy as after all its getting there and getting out the thing we all want.

I agree with some of that, but I want to get back from the hills as well and I've had some right dogs of cars that I could never be sure whether or not they would get me either there or back. For me, top priority is reliablility, then low running costs - I always have an estate car these days, so space isn't a problem, especially if I need to sleep in the car.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby mountain tortoise » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:12 am

I had a 56 plate Freelander one of the last old model. TD4 and all. I loved it and I mean loved it, it was great to drive and stuck to the road like glue. I live in the mountain of North Wales and we have had some bad weather lately of Scottish proportions and it performed brill. However, every time I needed to take it to the garage to be fixed( and that happened alot) it cost £500 or more every time and a service is £475. Ok it was under warranty until 2009 but after that I was spending £500 every other month. This could not go on. I borrowed lots of Frelander 2 when it went in the be repaired and I did not like them.
So what do I have now you may ask?
Last Christams I drove all sorts as I was not sure what to do. Hated the Toyota and all Honda type things. In the end I swapped it for a VW Tiguan, it is just as good as the Freelander and does not brake down. Everything is cheaper insurance etc. and it does 50 mpg. I have driven it around the Highlands several times and it is a great drive.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk