walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Budget Brands

Budget Brands

Postby speedybiker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:05 pm

For years I have been using quality brands such as Berghaus for jackets and clothing and Lowepro for bags but in the last few years I have been buying Regatta and Trespass clothing. I have found that the quality of the so-called expensive makes has decreased in recent years and I wanted to try the cheaper makes to see how they compared.

Although quite a bit cheaper than Berghaus, I have found Regatta and Trespass very good for the money and good value for money. I have been so impressed by the quality of the fleeces, waterproof jackets and softshells that I rarely buy Berghaus now and stick to the budget brands.

Recently I bought a Gelert Beyond Oxygen rucksack which is excellent and well designed. My previous Lowepro one was showing serious signs of wear and I thought I would try a cheaper one to see how it compared with one over twice the price.

How does everyone else feel about the so-called bargain brands?
speedybiker
Mountaineer

Re: Budget Brands

Postby AlisonFox66 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm

I wear Mountain Warehouse kit and its fine

the best of kit can get left on a hillside or get torn so why not buy cheaper
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby morag1 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:41 pm

speedybiker wrote:I have found Regatta and Trespass very good for the money

AlisonFox66 wrote:the best of kit can get left on a hillside or get torn so why not buy cheaper

I agree with both these statements. Trespass in particular are very very good value for money, especially if you wait for the sales. Their gear also looks good - I like to look my best at all times even when out walking 8)
morag1

Postby Frogwell » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm

Earlier this year I bought a Trespass breathable jacket for £40 and a Gelert pack-away breathable jacket for £15 and I've found both to be excellent. Both a well made, have a decent level of features, have kept me dry in some of the harshest rain and wind Scotland has to offer and seem just a breathable as the goretex jackets I've had/got.

Before buying them I spent ages researching more expensive brands and to be honest, these seem every bit as good as many of the jackets I was looking at that came in at 4, 5 or 6 times the price. I'd never really paid much attention to what other people were wearing on the hills, but since buying these I've noticed a vast number of people wearing the "budget" brands. In fact, the people wearing the most expensive brands often tend to be found on the shorter walks, closer to the car parks, whereas it's the Trespass and Regatta wearers that seem to be do the more serious walking.
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby ZEbbEDY » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:25 am

Im far too snobby for that ;)

Buy cheap, buy twice
ZEbbEDY
Rambler

Postby sloosh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:51 am

The only thing I don't buy budget clothing-wise is waterproofs, not because I'm a fashionista but purely because I've found they don't perform to the same standard (a few soakings in dreadful weather conditions convinced me). Other than that I'm happy buying budget. My favourite budget brand so to speak is Peter Storm gear although Trespass is pretty good as well.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby monarchming » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 am

I agree with all the comments being made by everyone but I always buy the best I can afford as I have found it lasts longer.Just looking after and maintaining your gear has worked really well for me.I have had gear from Rab,Mountain Equipment,Montane and Scarpa for years and so far so good.I suppose it's what ever works for each individual. :)
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby AlisonFox66 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:29 am

Yes it depends on the kit

warm layers are fine bought cheaply , as are hats and gloves

however with boots I do get good ones - boots are hard to lose I guess , unlike hats andgloves
If you see a blue hat near Ben Challum , keep it .it blew off my head last December
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Frogwell » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:08 pm

AlisonFox66 wrote:Yes it depends on the kit

warm layers are fine bought cheaply , as are hats and gloves

however with boots I do get good ones - boots are hard to lose I guess , unlike hats andgloves
If you see a blue hat near Ben Challum , keep it .it blew off my head last December

Got to agree with that actually, some things just need the investment so I've got Mendl Burma Pros. That said I do wear various Regatta shoes and boots for doodling about on the farm and for local evening walks. Even without being damaged they last at best 18 months though.

Things like baselayers though - are the £100 shirts really going to be that much better than the £15 Trekmates ones?
Frogwell
Hill Bagger

Munros:265   Corbetts:100
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Eskimo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:00 pm

ZEbbEDY wrote:Im far too snobby for that ;)

Buy cheap, buy twice

I have to agree with this. In my experience whenever I have went for a budget brand it has came back to haunt me and ended up paying the cash that I should done in the first place for the performance brand.
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby sloosh » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:56 pm

Eskimo wrote:
ZEbbEDY wrote:Im far too snobby for that ;)

Buy cheap, buy twice

I have to agree with this. In my experience whenever I have went for a budget brand it has came back to haunt me and ended up paying the cash that I should done in the first place for the performance brand.

Me too if truth be told ... done it with waterproofs, jacket & boots.

Edit: and on the other hand I have a 20-odd year-old LoweAlpine rucksack that still gets used.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby fazerneil » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 pm

Coming form the opposite end, we have spent years using the "cheaper" brands and whatever was in bargain bins and been happy enough, but in last couple of years we have started to go for the more mid-expensive clothing and we notice the difference, certainly in waterproof and windproof clothing, we find we can take less out with us when out for full day at higher altitudes and being someone who is very hard wearing on clothing, find I am saving money in long run as they are lasting longer....but still seek the bargains :D
fazerneil
Rambler

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:30   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:57 pm

with boots I buy what fits never mind the price, my feet are a funny shape.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby nathan79 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 pm

fazerneil wrote:Coming form the opposite end, we have spent years using the "cheaper" brands and whatever was in bargain bins and been happy enough, but in last couple of years we have started to go for the more mid-expensive clothing and we notice the difference, certainly in waterproof and windproof clothing, we find we can take less out with us when out for full day at higher altitudes and being someone who is very hard wearing on clothing, find I am saving money in long run as they are lasting longer....but still seek the bargains :D

Bargains are the way forward! I took delivery today of a pair of Marmot Scree pants £80rrp but i got them for £20 with free delivery.

Hard shells and boots i'll splash out on for the right product (still hunting for the cheapest price) but my base-layer tops and bottoms are a mix of Lidl and Regatta, and my fleeces are cheap Karrimor ones.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby trailer » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:38 am

There is some decent cheap gear to be found in Decathlon. European brands at decent prices.
trailer
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk