walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

back pack

back pack

Postby seadog » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:50 am

going to get a new winter back pack so before I do Ive been reading up on it a wee bit and been on you yube they seem to go on about Torso Length and how to measure it but dont say how you relate that to the pack do you measure the pack and if so where I hope no one comes back and says that the guy in the shop will sort that for you can anyone help please
seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Re: back pack

Postby PhilTurner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:24 pm

I've never measured my back length, just tried on lots of packs.

If you want to measure it you'll need a friend to help you. Start at the iliac crest which is the top of your hip crest. From this level on your spine measure to the C7 vertebrae, the knobby bone at the base of your neck when you put your head down. Make sure to keep your back straight to take the measurement.

Once you have this, most manufacturers will have a size chart - see this one from Arc'teryx - where you can compare your measurement to their suggested size
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Don't know how to measure torso length but remember that if you buy something on t'internet you have a right to send it back in 7 days if it isnt suitable, as long as it's as it arrived to you obviously.
Also, I think that as a guide, the place where the straps leave the top of the rucksack should be about level with the top of your shoulder blades, and the waist/hip belt sit nicely on your hips where it takes most of the weight. this will differ between boys and girls obviously as they have different shaped hips.
Everyone is different and the important thing is that your bag is comfy on you when loaded. This is difficult to tell without trying on. I tried on several women's rucksacks this spring looking for a lightweight one, and in the end didn't get any of them and ended up with a man's one, but my women's specific day sack is supremely comfy.
If that's any help its my two penn'orth worth anyway.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:28 pm

Many of the modern rucksacks are fully adjustable for length of back - for example Berghaus BioFit + others from other manufacturers.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby seadog » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Thanks for the information guys I can now go to the Go Outdoor shop and see how I get on, been looking at Deuter 35 Ltr. packs. Thanks again
Seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk