walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

berghaus kibo gtx

berghaus kibo gtx

Postby tony.cee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:46 pm

http://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/men/walking-boots-leather/product/084471/brg-m-kibo-gtx-black-7.html?attribute=4808685

thought these were an absolute bargain, i was going to buy them the other week for 199 too.
a further 13 quid off can be had with a readily avaliable discount code from google.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Re: berghaus kibo gtx

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:11 pm

That is good. I didn't pay a lot more but it was over a year ago.

Excellent boots too, although have had trouble with the thin laces, so just bought another pair, the flat type which will hopefully stay done up !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby tony.cee » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:14 pm

i checked various reviews, and they are held in high regards. couldnt turn my back on an offer like that, although i was swaying towards the scarpa manta's. im supposed to earn money while working offshore, not spend it.lol.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:30 pm

I don't think you'll be dissappointed, I bought them and followed shortly after with a pair of crampons, Grivel 10 point airtech I think (lose track of all the fancy names), ones with a clip fastening at the rear which fits straight onto the lip of the Kibos, leaves only one strap to do up, fits a treat.

Already had a 1980's pair of Yeti gaiters which went on too, and not coming off !!! whole set up is great, well cosy !

Reloaded the boots today with the new flat laces so we'll see how they go. Did notice (having read it somewhere) today one of the lacing loops can be pushed against the boot to secure the bottom part of the lace to hold the foot area and then tigheten the top half independently. Gonna need instructions for boots soon !! :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby tony.cee » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 pm

crampons is my next purchase, was looking to see if there were any good ones online discounted, but to no avail.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:42 pm

May find some in the post Xmas sales.

Mine were from this place, I think these are the ones although points on mine are black so maybe its the second one although sure they only had 10 points which was all I needed. About same price I paid last year, but the fit with the clip is a great idea.

Either of these:

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN31455

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN31453
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Postby tony.cee » Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:54 pm

im going to go for the second ones, which ones do you suggest, the new matic, the cramp o matic or the new classic. i have no idea what the difference is and it doesnt tell me either.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby Gythral » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:21 pm

New Classic - plastic front and rear for B1 boots, but will fit on B2/B3
New Matic - has a plastic front and wire bail rear for B2 boots (with a rear lug) will fit on B3 boots
Cramp-o-matic - wire bail front & rear, for B3 boots

Kibos & the Scarpa Manta are B2 boots...

The 2nd link shows the Steel New-Matic version, which for the boots is the version to get imo.
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tony.cee » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:00 pm

thanks. i did a bit of research and the new matic seem to be the ones im after for the boots i purchased. another decent deal. i got boots and crampons for the price i was going to pay for boots alone. cant wait to get home and get out there to try them out.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby snodland » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 am

The Blacks offer on the Kibos does look good.
I did notice it yesterday when I was googling around for something to buy at Blacks as I have about £100 in vouchers (why my old workmates couldn't have got me something decent like Tisos or Cotswolds I dunno).

I just wonder though... Barring some unexpected white knight coming in and buying out Blacks the compny is about to go into administration. Would that leave you in shtuck if you have paid over your money and the boots had not been sent out.

Last report I saw said that only possiblilty is one of those business deals where they are bought out immediately after going into administration and I wonder if any new owners would then be bound by the transactions of the previous owners as presumably that sort of deal is done to avoid taking on the liabilities of the past company?

I surmise my gift vouchers would also be redundant, hence the urgency to offload them
snodland
Munro compleatist

Munros:89   Corbetts:17
Fionas:14   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5

Postby sloosh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:05 am

snodland wrote:I just wonder though... Barring some unexpected white knight coming in and buying out Blacks the compny is about to go into administration. Would that leave you in shtuck if you have paid over your money and the boots had not been sent out.

You would become a creditor, waaaaay low down on the list, and if any money made it as far down as ordinary customers and was paid out by the administrators, it would probably be about 5p - 10p in the pound (£6.50 - £13 for your £130) if you were lucky.

I surmise my gift vouchers would also be redundant, hence the urgency to offload them

Yep, same as above probably.

Of course, you could hit the physical Black's shop in the post-christmas sales to spend your vouchers in person.

If they are to shut down Black's won't close until after the Christmas sales are over. They may even limp on until the end of January so the administrators can squeeze as much money out of existing stock as possible to meet the company's debts.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby tony.cee » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:49 pm

i received an email today saying they had been despatched. and nobody ever lies on emails.ever. oh look, iv just been informed i am a heir to a long lost nigerian relatives 3.5million doller estate.. christmas has came early.....
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Postby sloosh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:50 pm

They'll probably come then. :)
sloosh

Postby rockhopper » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:26 pm

sloosh wrote:You would become a creditor, waaaaay low down on the list, and if any money made it as far down as ordinary customers and was paid out by the administrators, it would probably be about 5p - 10p in the pound (£6.50 - £13 for your £130) if you were lucky.

I think (but would need to check to be sure) that if what you purchased cost £100 or more, it's a single item (eg not 10 of something) and you paid all of it or even just the deposit by credit card then the credit card company is equally liable, ie effectively you have the same rights with the credit card company as you had with the retailer and should be able to get your money back from the card company.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby sloosh » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:53 pm

Good point, Rockhopper. You would be covered in full if you paid via CC.
sloosh

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk