walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Walkhighlands gear review: winter trousers

Walkhighlands gear review: winter trousers

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Phil Turner wrote:Softshell is the perfect winter trouser material – tough, windproof, water resistant and stretchy – for this reason retailers often comment that more softshell trousers are sold than jackets. The softshell fabric that we know today is a reasonably recent invention....

Phil has been testing winter trousers and reviews eight pairs in his Winter trousers review.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Walkhighlands gear review: winter trousers

Postby mband » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:45 pm

I was looking forward to getting a run down on winter trousers as they are on my to buy list but really disappointed that these seem to be all mens trousers with no equivalent ladies styles. :(
I've noticed that with previous gear reviews that it's very male orrientated but gloves/hats/rucksacs could be argued as being unisex but trousers certainly are not. :shock:
Perhaps your reviewer could contact the companies and get their female equivalent styles as it's not easy to see from retailers sites as they often give ladies styles different names
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby PhilTurner » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:45 pm

The problem with reviewing ladies gear is that I'm male and I test every item before writing the piece. We do have plans to review some female-specific gear in the future using a female tester, and I hope you'll find that useful (in fact - if you've got suggestions as to what you'd like us to review please don't hesitate to post in the "Announcements, feedback and feature requests" forum).

Some of the trousers shown here are in fact unisex (I know a few girls that wear the Keela Scuffers for example), or have female-specific models where the only real difference I can see is the cut at the hips and the leg length - the fabric and features are identical. Female-specific outdoor gear is STILL not quite as prominent as the male equivalent though there has been significant enlightenment recently and detailed studies of the distinctive way the female form moves.

Interesting female sportswear trivia of the day - the sports bra was invented in 1977 from two jockstraps cut up and sewn together.

For female winter trousers take a look at:

PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:41 pm

I have a pair of Keela trousers - very comfy, not the soft shell ones sadly but summer ones, but they are mens ones, find ladies often too short in the leg. the funny thing is the trousers are almost identical (apart from leg length) but the ladies ones have a belt and the mens' don't. Soft shell trousers seem very expensive to me.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby gaffr » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:29 am

Hello,
Nothing in the Haglofs range of winter trousers seems to take your fancy.....price? :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:46 am

I have a pair of Montane softshell trousers which I am very pleased with. They are light, stretchy and nearly a good fit (they are rather big on the waist but do come with a belt)!
I find it virtually impossible to get trousers that fit well. It is essential to try trousers on to ensure that they fit but most shops have a very poor selection of trousers or indeed any womens outdoor gear (apart from fleeces in a range of pretty pastel colours!). I know that if I buy online I will end up having to send them back because they don't fit. Buying men's gear is not an option for slim women.
Things are improving, though, albeit slowly.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby iainwatson » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:17 am

as much as love my walking i just wouldnt pay these prices,i bought tresspasses own brand softshell trousers and they are excellent and only cost £25 :D
iainwatson
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby PhilTurner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:59 am

gaffr wrote:Hello,
Nothing in the Haglofs range of winter trousers seems to take your fancy.....price? :lol:

Ha! Sadly Haglofs didn't want to participate in the review - we're limited by the manufacturers that will send us test samples. Luckily most do. The benefit of this site and forum over print magazines and the like is that we can draw on members' experiences and offer a great deal of depth to the reviews - if members disagree (or even agree) with my views at any point I'm expecting them to say!

iainwatson wrote: as much as love my walking i just wouldnt pay these prices

mrssanta wrote: Soft shell trousers seem very expensive to me

Yeah - you're right - softshell is expensive. But remember that the prices quoted are Recommended Retail Prices in order to offer a fair comparison between manufacturers- you'll almost always find them cheaper.
PhilTurner

Postby gaffr » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:45 pm

No disagreement at all! I just don't know much about the ones that are reviewed. Got the Haglofs as a gift and certainly have enjoyed the wearing of these. I agree with you regarding overtrousers I too could never ever get used to them scrunching away and the ever creeping mud upwards from the boots. Don't think that I'll go back to breeches though. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby PhilTurner » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:18 pm

gaffr wrote:Got the Haglofs as a gift and certainly have enjoyed the wearing of these.

Yeah, Haglofs make some great stuff - what model do you have? What makes them so enjoyable? I'm sure other members would love any feedback you could offer....
PhilTurner

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:35 pm

I've been pondering Keela scuffers for a while. Concerned they'd be too thick and heavy but at least they at least do have the vents. I did pick up a pair of Marmot Scree pants for 20quid and they do me fine for winter walking.

On the subject of women's gear- is it just me or is it always cheaper than men's stuff? Always seems to me there's more bargains to be had. I've been tempted in the past to see if any would fit me!
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm

On the subject of women's gear- is it just me or is it always cheaper than men's stuff? Always seems to me there's more bargains to be had. I've been tempted in the past to see if any would fit me!

They probably more have women's gear left to put in the sales because that's the only way they can get rid of it! It might well fit you better than it fits me!
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:02 pm

Women are used to having a much better choice of clothes than men - i mean ordinary clothes - but I agree that the choice for women for walking gear is pretty rubbish. But it's even worse for children's gear, particularly in in-between age between about ten and adult sizes.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby gaffr » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:38 pm

I think that they are the Ultimate series of pants.....not really much of a retainer of names of equipment....just kindof get it on and wear it and to find out if it works. :) Very quick to dry if there is some of the wet stuff around maybe best with some under long john things when cold. I think that I prefer the gentleman's products from Skye...the Coich stuff a salopette, also good for skiing, not within this category being discussed...if out in the dark or in heavier weather. :)
Pants, for me, not so warm as the salopette. :D
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby mband » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:15 pm

Thanks for the giving ladies alternatives. Even if not actually reviewed it's good to have a guide and hopefully they preform like the mens styles. Also good to know that some women have found the mens trousers comfortable to wear.
:D
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk