walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which Tent..?

Which Tent..?

Postby StevieM » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:27 pm

Im planning on walking The Cape Wrath trail in May and have been scouring the market for a suitable backpacking tent.
I am of the belief that you only get what you pay for, and as I plan on using it before and after the walk,I thought I'd go for quality, within reason of course.
I think a 2 man would be the tent of choice as my wife will be joining me on a few trips prior to and after the CWT.

I would appreciate any recommendations and advice that would point me in the right direction.
Cheers guys and gals and happy walking!
Stevie
StevieM
Munro compleatist

Munros:103   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Which Tent..?

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi,

I have the vango banshee 200 which is great. Would only suit one grown man though.

The vango banshee 300 which is billed as a 3 man might be better for 2 people and they are fairly cheap but good quality.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-banshee-300-tent-p140013
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:32 pm

SteveM if you want to save your beer vouchers you can borrow mine, I've got a Banshee 300, never used it, although intend too when I sell my malibu 2 kayak for a canadian type, and take the wifey up some loch for a padle and a wild camp (summer methinks).

Kids used it once camping in the local playing field but they didn't take a torch and only found out some weeks later they'd left half the bloody poles behind !!!

New poles charged to the kids !!! :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby JEG105 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:02 am

Hi Stevie,
I've got a Hilleberg Akto, which for me is the ultimate 1 man tent (so it depends on the real likelihood of the missus joining you?). In its favour are the bomb proof construction, the weight and the porch. Against it...only the price that I can think of, you can get some bargains online though.
My buddy has a banshee 200 and I'd agree, it's only really suitable for one.
John
JEG105
Scrambler

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Stevie
A bit of a mine field out there on choice of tents....
I use a tent minimum 2 nights per month all year round and have had up to now 5 different tents before settling on a Hilleberg Akto (I use it alone).
First I would recommend a tent that pitches as one (inner and flysheet together). Nothing worse than putting up an inner tent in the pouring rain and a howling gale before struggling to get the flysheet over and ending up with a wet soggy inner tent.
I would also recommend to consider porch size to permit cooking while it's raining/sitting out a storm.
Most 2 man tents are a tight squeeze for 2 people and not much room left for storing rucksacks, boots,etc.
Best thing to do is see the tents physically pitched, ideally with 2 sleeping mats inside and you'll get a good idea how much place if left for rucksacks, etc.
I would also recommend to read many reviews on the models you shortlist to get to know the pros and cons of each. Ultimately, it's a compromise.
Good luck with your search !
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby mrssanta » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:17 pm

we have a banshee 200 whichwe use for 2 of us but it is very friendly and I wouldnt want to spend long in it in bad weather as the porch is tiny and the rain comes in if you open the door. it was however dirt cheap I got it for £40 on offer. and it is very sturdy. fine for one I would say.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby rockhopper » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:33 pm

Another vote for the Banshee 200 - I use it for solo walks though and would agree that it would be "friendly" for two - tend to keep the inner and outer attached so that I can pitch it quickly as one
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Liathach » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:33 am

I'm using a Mtn Equipment Tundra 2 Tent. Not very light at about 2.3kg but very easy to erect (inner and outer together) and spacious - it's a 2-man tent being used for one so there is plenty space inside for rucksack etc. And enough space in porch for cooking. My other tent is a Quasar which weighs about 4.5kg so, really, the Tundra is featherweight :D
Liathach

Postby Highlander » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:39 pm

I've got a Terra Nova Laser Competition, ultralight at ~1kg (incl bags, pegs etc), porch is just about adequate. The pegs weighing 2g each are incredibly small so I have supplemented these with some larger pegs

We hoped to do the Oldshoremore to Cape Wrath section last year but had turn back and camp in the dunes at Sandwood Loch due to the weather, all the best for your trip!

h
Attachments
Beinn Stacath 300411 113a.jpg
Laser Competition near summit of Beinn Stacath April 2011
Highlander
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:11   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:2   Islands:17

Postby stomper » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am

Highlander wrote:I've got a Terra Nova Laser Competition, ultralight at ~1kg (incl bags, pegs etc), porch is just about adequate. The pegs weighing 2g each are incredibly small so I have supplemented these with some larger pegs

We hoped to do the Oldshoremore to Cape Wrath section last year but had turn back and camp in the dunes at Sandwood Loch due to the weather, all the best for your trip!

h

I have the same one and wouldn't replace it with any other when it comes to wild camping. As you say it weighs 1kg all in so you would hardly know its in your rucksack. Will be using it next month in Glen Affric
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Postby basscadet » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:25 pm

The Laser competition is unbeatable for size & comfort for 1 man (although sometimes with the door shut I feel like I am in a coffin lol) I have tried the Akto, which was alright, but definately not worth the extra weight or money..
For a 2 man I have a robens mythos duo, which is also great. I wouldnt camp on a ridge a KM up in it like I would in the laser competition, as the stability system isn't quite as good. I fear I would spend the night holding my tent down in the wind instead of sleeping :) Great for glens or corries though...
A 2 man tent really does weigh twice as much, so I would invest in two tents if I were you.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:29 pm

Another vote here for the Banshee 200, very light, quick and easy to put up and not a bad price.

I have upgraded to the 300 but not had a chance to test it out yet. Personally i thought the 200 fine for 2 people but the other half was moaning it was a bit tight (its somewhere to sleep in the wild, not a hotel room!!! )
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby fraochydug » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:59 pm

as an aside, really, i was given an Ultimate Peapod MK1 third hand almost 20 years ago and it is still going strong.
ive replaced the original solid glass poles with hollow carbon, and it has loads of the mysterious little holes in the groundsheet that appear during music festivals, so needs a footprint, but it has stood up to 80+mph winds without a drip.
i have other tents, but the peapod i always default to for reliability
fraochydug
Munro compleatist

Munros:17   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   

Postby Peter277 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:27 pm

been backpacking 25 yrs for my money ..a tarptent scarp1 or the two but if its mainly for 1 id stick with that.ive had an atko very solid tent but the scarp is bigger and more stable or my other shelter a Trailstar also from the states more room than youll ever need and also very solid in a blow
Peter277
Scrambler

Munros:280   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby fazerneil » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Banshee 3 tent was perfect for backpacking with round outer hebrides in the wet summer couple of years ago and kept us dry and was just right size for getting backpacks in too. Pitched in literally minutes in rain and wind.
Only problem we noted was at some pitches the tent edge was raised off ground so we were left with cold and wind getting in, but avoidable if you take bit longer setting on the two poles.
fazerneil
Rambler

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:30   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk