walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rab Latok Alpine with poss wrong labels!!!

Postby will0001 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm

All

My Mrs. bought me a Rab Latok Alpine from Go Outdoors at Xmas - I have only used the jacket twice and when drying it today I noticed that on the inside pocket (LH) there's a RAB Neutrino label stitched on to it where (you would imagine) it should have Latok Alpine label ...No?

Anyone come across this before or heard of it.....
will0001
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Rab Latok Alpine with poss wrong labels!!!

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:56 pm

I'm afraid Rab stuff may be over-rated these days. A mate of mine got an expensive Rab down jacket for a Himalyan trip. Within a few weeks the seams' stitching had unravelled and the filling fell out. Luckily he was still in Scotland and took it back for a replacement, which held together.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby will0001 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:10 pm

The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy an expensive item like a shell jacket you would expect it to be RIGHT...

So are Go Outdoors selling garments that aren't passing quality control at the factory.

More importantly if you go out into the hills you're relying on the gear you buy to protect you from the elements and to keep you warm and dry and if they're not fit for purpose then they shouldn't be selling it. I know this is only a label but who's to say the shell isn't of sufficient quality as well and the only way you'll find out is if it fails on the hill...!
will0001
Munro compleatist

Postby PhilTurner » Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Send an email to Rab (rabinfo@equipuk.com) before getting too worried.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:55 pm

will0001 wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy an expensive item like a shell jacket you would expect it to be RIGHT...
So are Go Outdoors selling garments that aren't passing quality control at the factory.
More importantly if you go out into the hills you're relying on the gear you buy to protect you from the elements and to keep you warm and dry and if they're not fit for purpose then they shouldn't be selling it. I know this is only a label but who's to say the shell isn't of sufficient quality as well and the only way you'll find out is if it fails on the hill...!

Indeed. You could use it and see if it works... :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby will0001 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Oh did you think that up, all by yourself, or did you get help?
will0001
Munro compleatist

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:53 pm

Think you need to chill out ! Nothing is 100% waterproof anyway so its destined to fail in the end, no matter what label it has on it.

The chance is that its a one of mistake and had your wife picked up the next jacket in the rack then you would have got a jacket with the regular label. I highly doubt that a minor label error is going to sabotage the jackets waterproof performance.

I have found that the Rab products I own are great and do they job they are meant to very well and have always recieved great customer service from Rab. They even sent me stickers for nought when I sent them an email saying how much I liked their stuff :D
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby weebookil » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:54 pm

I just checked my jacket. i bought one too from Go but the labels are the correct ones.

what do you do with stickers Southernuplandking?? do you collect them?
weebookil
Mountaineer

Munros:245   Corbetts:1

Postby andyfitz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 pm

weebookil wrote:what do you do with stickers Southernuplandking?? do you collect them?

:lol: :lol:

Could sell them to a guy called Rab to get more money for Rab gear.

(Do agree with SUK tho that Rab gear always been good in my experience - especially base layers, which are the total business).
andyfitz
Munro compleatist

Munros:184   Corbetts:11
Grahams:6   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:16

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 pm

weebookil wrote:I just checked my jacket. i bought one too from Go but the labels are the correct ones.

No, you stick them, hence the name "stickers" ? Just nice to know that a company who must recieve 100's= emails each day can take the time out to read seperate emails from customers and also to reply to said email :)
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Come on now everyone, all this small talk doesn't help us solve the immense problem of the Wrongly Labelled Label. And all those exclamation marks!!! !!!! !!!!! !!!!

will0001 wrote:All
My Mrs. bought me a Rab Latok Alpine from Go Outdoors at Xmas - I have only used the jacket twice and when drying it today I noticed that on the inside pocket (LH) there's a RAB Neutrino label stitched on to it where (you would imagine) it should have Latok Alpine label ...No?
Anyone come across this before or heard of it.....

will0001 wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that if you buy an expensive item like a shell jacket you would expect it to be RIGHT...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby morag1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:39 pm

Just to say I am not a big fan of Go Outdoors and would be very wary of the stuff they sell

I was in Tiso in Edinburgh trying on jackets - Berghaus, north face, Hagloffs - and i was very impressed with them, especially Berghaus which was a great fit. On my way home i stopped at Go Outdoors in Granton and looked at their Berghaus jackets which were about £40 cheaper than Tiso. However i could swear they were made by a completely different manufacturer. The arms were too long, they were baggy and shapeless and the only similarity was the Berghaus label on the front.

I am not saying all Go Outdoors stuff is dodgy, just that when you are buying something so expensive I would go to an established shop and pay a little bit extra to be sure of getting quality stuff.
morag1

Postby Milesy » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Established? Go outdoors have more shops, employ more staff, and have more of a turnover than Tiso.

I buy almost everything from Go outdoors and no complaints.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby rockhopper » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Milesy wrote:Established? Go outdoors have more shops, employ more staff, and have more of a turnover than Tiso.
I buy almost everything from Go outdoors and no complaints.
I suspect that Morag means that Tiso have been around longer than Go Outdoors - Tiso started in the very early 1960s whereas Go Outdoors started in the early 2000s. I can remember buying my first proper Scarpa hill walking boots in Tiso Glasgow in the early 1980s when the staff seemed very knowledgeable. Milesy - I'd guess that you'd be able to shop almost anywhere as you know what you're doing but those of us with less experience may wish to look for experienced shop assistants to provide guidance. Personally I've found Tiso a bit mixed of late and have used Cotswold Outdoors and Nevisport a bit more frequently.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:65   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby weebookil » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 am

SouthernUplandKing wrote:
weebookil wrote:I just checked my jacket. i bought one too from Go but the labels are the correct ones.

No, you stick them, hence the name "stickers" ? Just nice to know that a company who must recieve 100's= emails each day can take the time out to read seperate emails from customers and also to reply to said email :)

to your gear?? and then they blow away when you step outside the car on the way to the hills :(
weebookil
Mountaineer

Munros:245   Corbetts:1

Next

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk