walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Manta's (DEFINATELY NOT FOR ME)

Scarpa Manta's (DEFINATELY NOT FOR ME)

Postby stomper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:47 am

As I have a pair of Scarpa Manta's they rearly are starting to **** me off BIG TIME. Now i have used these boots roughly ten times and each time i use them they give me frigging blisters on both my small toes. If i walk either uphill or on the level then they are fine but its walking on the downside that gets me to have blisters. I have trie evrything from tying a knot before you criss cross the laces but makes no difference and the boots are definately not on the small or too big size wise. I am definately thinking of changing from scarpa to something else although i do have a pair of scarpa vega's so will be trying them next time. So any guys out there who are after a pair of Manta's Inclusive of crampons (which only fit this boot as they have the hook at the front) let me know. Boots are in very good condition along with the crampons.
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Re: Scarpa Manta's (DEFINATELY NOT FOR ME)

Postby electricfly » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:43 pm

...and the award for worst sales pitch of the year goes to... Stomper!

hehe :lol:

I usually wear a really thin pair of cotton socks under my walking socks. This acts like an extra layer of skin and reduces any abrasion I'd normally experience from the rougher walking sock fibres. The cotton helps keep them cooler too.
From what your describing, and the fact that it's occurring on your descents, sounds like the little toes are suffering from increased heat/friction build up from your socks rubbing against the front area of your Manta's. May even be an idea to add another insole and tie your laces a little tighter round the ankles and towards the top area to reduce your feet from moving towards the toe-box of the boots.

You might have already tried these and have had no joy, sometimes our feet and certain boots just don't get along. As I've mentioned already in another thread. Mantas were a non-starter for me when I first tried them on in the shop.

By the way... what size are your boots that you might be selling with compatible GSB crampons? :D
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Postby ianaird » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:45 pm

Had to give up on 2 different pairs of scarpa's now, they are too narrow at the toe, first couple of trips went ok but then the blisters started appearing, if you have a broad foot i think you can forget about them.
ianaird
Rambler

Munros:125   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby stomper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:04 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats why i am not a salesman :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: my so called scarpa manta's are size 10 soanyone wishing to buy a pair from a none salesman with the worst pitch ( DO i get an acalaide for that or a trophy) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stomper
Munro compleatist

Postby goth_angel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:34 pm

I think it maybe depends on what sort of foot shape you have. I have Mantas as my winter boots which are mostly okay but unless I lace them properly my toes seem to hit the ends on descent. My summer ones are Rangers and I'm having no end of bother with blisters which is driving me a bit mad.
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:85
Wainwrights:181   

Postby foggieclimber » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:25 am

I once bought a pair of Scarpa Mantas but they were not suitable for my feet.
I believe they are great boots, but they are far too narrow for me.

You need to get boots that best fit the shape of your feet - size, width, arch, etc.
foggieclimber

Postby 147cjl » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Scarpa make great boots, but everyones feet are different.
147cjl
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gythral » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:29 pm

147cjl wrote:Scarpa make great boots, but everyones feet are different.

Scarpa make great boots, every model is a different shape, none of which fit my feet... :lol: (Yet)
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Xenophon » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Mantas are a heavy B2 boot. They are good for walking over heavy terrain like rocky ridges, etc. Have used them in Scottish winter walking, summer in Knoydart, Morocco (Toubkal) and several snow-shoeing expeditions. After a week they will cause blisters which need managing. Don't use them for light terrain. But as well as being stiff they are also well insulated - good for winter work. But they are not "general 3 season" walking boots.
Xenophon
Munro compleatist

Postby Cameron94 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:55 pm

I get on very well with Manta's they fit my feet perfectly. By the sounds of it they are too narrow at the toe, if it is just a small amount you could consider taking them too a shop and stretching them (may be quite tricky because of the rand).
Cameron94

Postby Benjaminnevis » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 pm

i had the same problem we ma brashers but it was down to rubbish socks. found braw socks in john lewis 65% merino and 35% nylon nae bother noo. :D
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby WinterPapillas » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 am

Same here. Had the Mantas for years and I've never really been happy with them. I think the problem for me is, my softer flexible non-winter boots are so comfortable that anything winter-stiff is always going to be horrible in comparison.
WinterPapillas
Hill Bagger

Postby CharlesT » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:06 pm

I've worn Mantas for over 10 years now and find them excellent winter and rough ground boots. Currently using the version before the latest model which have lasted 7 years of rough use. Find I fit a 44 in these and 43 for summer boots. Think it's critical you buy from a good shop with a knowledgeable fitter who will tell you whether the boots are right or not for you. In my opinion it's not a good option to buy boots on line even with large discounts, I would rather pay full price and get them fitted properly. Also agree with comment about good light inner socks (100% wool or cotton) teamed with good quality wool main socks - and throw them away when they get worn and lose their softness.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Phil the Hill » Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:25 pm

I've worn Mantas for over 10 years now and find them excellent winter and rough ground boots. Currently using the version before the latest model which have lasted 7 years of rough use. Find I fit a 44 in these and 43 for summer boots. Think it's critical you buy from a good shop with a knowledgeable fitter who will tell you whether the boots are right or not for you. In my opinion it's not a good option to buy boots on line even with large discounts, I would rather pay full price and get them fitted properly.

I agree with CharlesT and could say exactly the same myself - except I've worn Mantas for some 25 years. Currently on my 2nd pair, having had the first pair resoled at one point to keep them going. I used to wear them year round, but switched to fabric boots for the summer when those came out, and now just wear hill running shoes in the summer when the ground is dry enough. But in winter or over really rocky, muddy or boggy ground, I wouldn't be without my Mantas.

It just depends what fits your foot shape. I chose the Mantas and have stuck with them precisely because they don't give me blisters.
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby stomper » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:30 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Blisters well for me these boots give me nout but blisters :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :? :? :? :? :( :( :( :(
stomper
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk