walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Glove advice please!

Glove advice please!

Postby jakeyboy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:16 am

Okay people, I don't really wear gloves, I never have. But I'm attempting to kit myself out with a basic set of essentials and although I have purchased a couple of pairs of "Polartec Power dry" Liner gloves already, I feel I should have a good pair of decent outer gloves too. What I need is some advice on which ones to go for. I don't need thermal/winter gloves, but I'm thinking lightweight possibly with gripping qualities for any scrambling I may have to do. I don't want thick, cumbersome ones that will annoy me. Maybe asking for the perfect glove here huh? Well anyway, that's a fairly rounded idea of what I'm looking for. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. What do you guys use yourselves? I prefer to trust in my own bare hands to be honest, but I'm thinking there must be some gloves out there that will feel as natural as possible? :? :?
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Munros:11   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   

Re: Glove advice please!

Postby sloosh » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:45 am

I went for a pair of Berghaus Aquafoil gloves initially - they proved to be reasonably wind proof but they are not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. After reading the reviews of gloves here on WH I plumped for the Rab Latok ones - wind and waterproof. They also have a grip like a gecko.
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby jakeyboy » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:48 am

sloosh wrote:I went for a pair of Berghaus Aquafoil gloves initially - they proved to be reasonably wind proof but they are not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. After reading the reviews of gloves here on WH I plumped for the Rab Latok ones - wind and waterproof. They also have a grip like a gecko.

Cheers sloosh! Missed that review, God knows how!! Will have a close look now though, but the Rab's are a wee bit out of my price range I'm afraid. Boy they look good though :shock:
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby rockhopper » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:53 pm

I've tried various gloves and liners.

Currently have a pair of these- can use the outer and liner separately or both together - I don't tend to like "normal" gloves as the lining tends stick to my hands and comes out esp in the cold - these solve that problem as the fleece glove is the liner.

Also, I use a normal fleece glove with a goretex outer mitt - the latter can be bought from army surplus type online shops for £10 - £15 and provide a waterproof outer (albeit in mitt format).
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jakeyboy » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks rockhopper. Will have a look. :D
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby Klaasloopt » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't wear outer gloves very often, so I bought a pair of these:
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/outdoor_designs_summit_lite_gloves.html

They weigh 94 grammes (XL). Claimed 'lightest waterproof'. There seem to be a lot of gloves in this category, but these where reasonably priced at £ 19. Durability??

I wear fingerless liner gloves underneath.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby jakeyboy » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:29 am

Yeah, these look like the kind of thing I'm looking for Klaasloopt! Now I'm torn between these and the 3-in-1's that rockhopper suggested above! :lol:
jakeyboy
Hill Bagger

Postby cheekykarma » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:29 am

Winter Gloves - Sealskins have excellent warm waterproof gloves, not just for winter but downpours too

So warm you may fancy taking em off!

general windproof nice day gloves, any 2 buck pair of woolies will do

Scrambling over rocks - Garden gloves, leather work gloves, may not be the best of fits, but why spend 40 odd quid on technical gloves that get torn to shreds on rocks, i recommend cheap a chips gardening gloves, for scrambles - you will get them for 2 or 3 bucks in lots of places - easy to replace - easy to carry spares

:)
cheekykarma
Mountaineer

Munros:44   Corbetts:17
Fionas:6   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:9   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk