walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Microspikes.

Re: Microspikes.

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:02 am

Well, everyone's allowed to buy a present-to-self for Christmas aint they? :lol:

They are a fantastic bit of kit :)
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Just been out up onto the Quiraing via Loch Langaig and Hasco. The path - especially lower down - was frozen solid and I want a pair of these now too :mrgreen:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Milesy » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:35 pm

I have also purchased a pair for myself and waiting on them coming :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby sloosh » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:55 pm

HighlandSC wrote:Well, everyone's allowed to buy a present-to-self for Christmas aint they? :lol:

S'funny, I thought the same thing myself on Boxing Day. :lol:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:42 pm

Definitely a great bit of kit. I kept them on all day yesterday for 10k of icey tracks/paths and didn't slip or lose footing once. Extremely easy to fix and very secure. They are fairly light, pack compact, and will always be with me on days like this.

A few vids I took the day before on tracks where they weren't completely required, but helped nonetheless:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4TykWzC6bY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnwE1D7gIzw[/youtube]

Another random youtube vid of someone else using them:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGXd0pmpDbM[/youtube]
HighlandSC

Postby john.malley » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:39 pm

Try these - studded metal spiked orienteering shoes - brilliant on icy sufaces/wet grass/greasy rock - (at least more so than rubber) and v comfortable to boot - as good as fell shoes. Not one to wear on rocky / routes surfaces during summer as they make a noise! Better than having to carry something that you've got to fiddle onto your feet

http://www.ultrasport.co.uk/index.php?m ... cts_id=332
john.malley
Stravaiging

Munros:182   Corbetts:10
Fionas:6   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:188
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mountain tortoise » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Just back from three days walking in the Lake District( which hated to many people). But used my mircospikes at lower level they are great on frozen tracks and paths, a lot of people walking had caused these to freeze solid two or three inches of ice or compacted snow. They take the effort out of walking and sliding on this stuff so you get to the high stuff less tired. They are not good on anything other than a gentle slop where you really need crampons. But very useful indeed.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:10 pm

Mine just arrived in the post :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby sloosh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:14 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Mine just arrived in the post :D

So did mine. :D
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby mountain tortoise » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:56 pm

Sloosh and Paul have fun :)
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Cuil Lodair » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:56 pm

sloosh wrote:
Paul Webster wrote:Mine just arrived in the post :D

So did mine. :D

Well, there's bound to be a thaw now......... :lol:

Sorry, guys - enjoy them! :)
Cuil Lodair
Munro compleatist

Munros:91   Corbetts:76
Fionas:27   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm taking mine out again tomorrow, and there better be icey paths everywhere!
HighlandSC

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:52 pm

I got my microspikes two days after ordering them online from http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk , so well done to the folks there. I took them out for a wander yesterday at the Quiraing, a wierd and wonderful geological feature on the Isle of Skye. Judging from the tracks in the snowy and ungritted road, my vehicle was only the second to try the route since the snow fell. I donned the Microspikes and set off along the hillside, trying to find the path under the snow. I was pleasantly surprised by the comfort of the Microspikes, not a bit like crampons. I walked easily in the snowy path, the Microspikes did not ball-up even in deep snow, and were good on the wet and icy rocks of a small ravine which needs to be traversed en route. Farther on I came to a part of the path which was well tramped down by others who had joined the path from farther down the hill (no doubt not wishing to pit their vehicles against the snowy hairpin bends of the Quiraing road), and the Microspikes coped easily with the compacted snow. From the footprints in the snow I could see some had worn crampons, which I find uncomfortable to walk far in, and others had just boots, a bit dodgey on such steep ground where a slip could land you between a rock and a hard place. I wore my helmet in case of slips and slides headlong onto rocks, and noticed that there were rocks lying on top of the snow; I also heard ice and rocks falling from the cliffs above, though luckily none came near me. I went around the hillside past the feature known as 'The Castle' from it's square form. Above me soared the huge towers, like vast chess-pieces left by Norse Gods. Ravens honked and flapped around above and below me, I suspect they were hoping I would slip and provide them with lunch, but the Microspikes proved their worth. After trudging back to the car my feet were fine, no feeling of discomfort from walking on the Microspikes for a few hours.
January 10 Microspikes Quiraing.JPG
January 10 Quiraing Castle and Towers.JPG
January 10 Quiraing Castle 03.JPG
January 10 Quiraing Towers.JPG
January 10 Quiraing Towers 02.JPG
January 10 Trotternish Ridge.JPG
January 10 Sound of Raasay.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:36 pm

That looks a great walk Caberfeidh, I bet the ravens were gutted to see you spiked and helmeted up! :lol: I've never wore crampons but can defintely vouch for the comfort of microspikes, I've had 'em on for the entire length of 3 decent walks and they're as comfortable as just your boots.

Did 8 miles in Glen Nevis yesterday, with most paths just like this. Can't imagine how many times I'd have fallen without them. I zoomed past a large group of walkers on the same route who were all looking at my feet in envy :lol:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAvyio-Kp8s[/youtube]

The non-spiked walkers couldn't bear any more slips. It was now only a question who would go first to throw themselves into the falls
P1010099.JPG
HighlandSC

Postby helenw » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Must have just missed you on the Quriaing yesterday Caberfeidh as Paul and I were messing about up there in the afternoon after our Microspikes arrived in the post (got them from the same place - seemed to arrive in double quick time with our kindly postie providing the signature in our absence). Didn't dare drive all the way up the Quriaing road so stopped near the cemetery and walked up to the main path near the Needle from there. Will definately be big fans of Microspikes - i usually walk like a nervous, brittle-boned granny on ice (and Paul is worse - he claims a dodgy knee requires him to cling to me on any icy slope) but these spikes allow you to walk normally with no balling on soft snow - really easy to put on and off (no frozen fingers like with crampons) the only worry would be deciding when to take them off and resort to crampons - will be off to Aberdeenshire later in the week and will definately be taking the spikes. :D
helenw
Site Admin

Fionas:19   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:93

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk