walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Do you own a pair of these?

Re: Do you own a pair of these?

Postby kfrweaving » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:16 pm

I've taken a pic of the Salomon boots that i bought not that long ago. Haven't had any probs so far even walking - or wading - through boggy conditions. Will just have to see how good they are for the West Highland Way!
But due to an insole from the podiatrist i had to go up a size and i have to say they are the comfiest boot i have had, even surpassing the Meindl boots that i used to have.
Attachments
IMG_1403.JPG
kfrweaving
Bird-watcher

Postby bikerbill » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:09 pm

I would take them back to where I bought them for a refund. I would also argue that they are not exactly fit for purpose.
bikerbill
Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby sparkrc » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:25 pm

wow how coincidental is that I have got the same boots and have just completed the cape wrath trail only to find that after day 6 they started to split on both boots exactly where your arrow is pointing,mine also leaked causing me to buy waterproof socks . I have just sent my boots back as they were only 9 months old and I have been informed that Salomon will replace them with the latest version. I must admit I do find them very comfy but will be going back to my trusted zamberlans!
sparkrc
Mountaineer

Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:63   

Postby Billymaca » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:54 am

Hello sparkrc, I purchased the new version of these boots to replace the ones in the pic from last year, They also have started to split after only 10 days of the TGO Challenge this May, Shaun who was on the CWT with me last year also bought these boots, he has just finished the new Gore-Tex Trail, his are in a worse state than mine. Sorry to say this, but be prepared to be disappointed. I am now looking for yet another boot and this time Salomon are not on the list. :(
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby nscnick » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:13 am

Yes (or rather I did temporarily). I had used the previous version for years. None of them (in fact ANY Salomon) boots retain waterproofing for more than a few months. And the soles ALWAYS starting falling off after about a year of use - unpredictably. However as a professional user out for at least 3 days every week I was prepared to put up with these failings because the boots fitted well, were comfortable and provided I didn't use them in wet vegatation or continuous rain were fine.

I had emailed and telephoned Salomon many times over the years, including sending 'old' boots back for them to view but they always denied there was a problem. Eventually I tried a set of the version 2. The fit had changed, they were tighter and while initially comfortable after an hour or two of sitting on the sofa started to cause pins and needles in my feet. They went back to the supplier.

The problems that are particularly bad were the soles coming away, latterly on the In Pin in Skye!!!

I have recently tried a pair of Ultra Trek, which so far have stayed in one piece and still waterproof though the upper construction is different to the Quest. I found the Quests leaked around the seams in the toe area and on the outside edge near the sole.

Worse of all this is that Salomon are extremely unhelpful, dismissive and ignorant.
nscnick
Stravaiging

Postby gerrydelaney » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:44 pm

I've had a pair of these boots for 5 years and never had a problem, used them in all sorts of weather, including winter , still as comfy and as reliable as when I bought them. I have heard about problems with them leaking across the toe but I've never had an issue with mine.
gerrydelaney
Munro compleatist

Munros:22   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:78
Wainwrights:140   

Postby Bolger » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:17 pm

Not able to add much more to the existing comments on these boots.
They are without doubt the most comfortable pair of boots you will wear. They will leak from the start but I am now on pair number 3 thanks to Field and trek who have replaced the previous pairs due to water ingress. They are clearly well aware of the issue and were brave enough to say that in its latest re-incarnation which features tough curdura in the toe flex zone these would be OK. Needless to say these now leak after a stroll through wet grass.
I would still buy another pair though because of the comfort.
Bolger
Munro compleatist

Postby billgobey » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:58 pm

i had a pair of soloman boots (Quest Origins GTX) i had then exchanged because of water ingress the exchanged pair let in water so i had them exchanged for a pair of ( Quest 4D 2 GTX) These also let in water they are going back a once they have dried out same problem. Ihave had the present boots for 2months . It appears solman have a porblem
billgobey
Mountaineer

Postby IanEzzi » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:50 am

I can't help but wonder if the comfort and the leaking go hand in hand.

i.e. comfort is due to very flexible sole/upper. Lots of flex = repeated creasing/folding/flexing of membrane = premature failure. Any soft/comfy boot I've owned with a waterproof membrane has failed early too. Also the only Salomons I ever owned started coming away at the sole as well.

I think the problem is people buying super light 'performance' footwear then trudging up and down Munros every weekend expecting them to perform like heavy, stiff leather boots. There has to be some compromise. Perhaps the compromise is not trying to waterproof the boots, which allows people to buy their own membrane in the form of £30 Sealskinz socks which last OK if you wear a liner sock underneath (thin icebreaker or something).

I decided against repeatedly exchanging and returning leaky boots (the retailer at the time had provisionally agreed to take my Scarpas back) because it just seems so wasteful, your returned boot is likely going to end up on the trashpile and you become complicit in our 'throw away' society. Better just buy something that you know will last (or can be repaired! mend and make do etc.).

Thankfully that wonderful sense of moral superiority lightens your step ever so slightly as you lug your 1kg per foot leather Altbergs up and down the hills... :wink:
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby hamerr » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:26 pm

Mine lasted a couple of years and then started to fall apart really quickly - couldn't decide if my feet were cold or wet! The soles started coming away at the edges and they split across the knuckle area. Having said that they were incredibly comfortable, and I'm a fan of Salomon fell shoes, and many years ago I owned a pair of top end Salomon boots and they lasted years.

My previous boots were Asolo, a brand which I'll never touch again; the ankle pain was unbearable but I persevered my turning over the top of my socks and attempting to soften the heels with a hammer. Eventually I sold them on eBay.

I've replaced the Salomons with Scarpa and I love them, apart from I had to ditch the insoles (which were way too hard) for my Salomon ones.
hamerr
Munro compleatist

Munros:23   
Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:65   

Postby Mel and Mark » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Hi, I have had several pairs of these and other makes of goretex lined boots all of which leaked, i did take them back and was refunded with no problems, I no longer purchase lined boots.
Mel and Mark
Scrambler

Postby Chucky » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:11 am

I don't own a pair of those, but my wife and I are both own a pair of these Berghaus boots and we think they are really fantastic , absolutely waterproof after years of use and still really comfortable. :D ;attachment=0]PastedGraphic-1.png[/attachment]
Attachments
PastedGraphic-1.png
Chucky

Postby roscoe » Sat May 13, 2017 11:08 am

yes, over 5y+ my various lite weight goretex Saloman and Salewa all leaked, even the shoes used for dog walking only all leaked between 6m .. 2y, all with lots of wear left on soles, all exceptionally comfortable and light, but after a while the gluey construction somewhere fails to keep the water out, prob where the ball of the foot kinks/bends the last

as for returns refund must admit SALEWA the worst cheatin not interested to help or honour 2y warranty
(never bothered to complain to the goretex crew)

meanwhile my 10+ yo Raichle(now mammut) leather ones remain dry as bone in whatever the scottish weather
roscoe
Munro compleatist

Munros:106   

Postby Angusglen » Sat May 13, 2017 8:40 pm

I had 3 pairs, mainly because they are light and the most comfortable boots I have ever had. BUT none of them lasted more than a year. Salomon replaced 2 pairs but then I just gave up. I can only guess that in making them light they have sacrificed the essential strength in materials that boots need for durability.
Angusglen
Munro compleatist

Postby Portboy » Mon May 15, 2017 2:48 pm

I walked the IATS in a pair of Solomon GTX boots and they fell apart, soles came apart from the boot. I still have them just to show people what happens to expensive boots. Another newer pair I have are in much the same condition. I took them to a cobbler and was told he couldn't attach the sole to the boot. The uppers look pretty new! That's two pairs where the boots came apart and I wouldn't wear another pair of Solomon's on a long distance hike again.
Portboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:218   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk