walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear review - Multitools

Gear review - Multitools

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Phil Turner wrote:Inspired by the wholesome antics of such scallywags as the Famous Five, generations of children have badgered their parents for their very own pocketknife with which to whittle twigs and eat an apple really impressively. With knives carrying a stigma in modern society there are only really a few good reasons for carrying a blade of any kind, and there must be very few backpackers that don't carry something sharp in their rucksack. Ignoring nostalgia the UK backpacker has little reason to carry some of the huge single-bladed implements available in certain outdoor shops, but the multitool certainly does have a place.

Read our gear editor Phil Turner's comparison of five multitools in his latest review - and let us know what the backpackers amongst you use.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Gear review - Multitools

Postby Andy Howell » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:43 pm

Some interesting stuff here althogh I'm personally happy to stay withthe Swiss Army Knife _ I regularly consume Pyrenean wine on the trail!

I would be a little suspicious about taking the Leartherman through airport security in hand luggae. In a busy airport it is quite a punt expecting the Security Guard to do anything but confiscate something like that! Mind you my Swiss Army Knife has been through security screens on numerous occasions without being discovered!

The Swedish knife and fire tool looks a great piece of kit. Perfect for cutting hard mountain sausage. I shall buy one.
Andy Howell
Mountain Walker

Postby Essan » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:04 pm

I have a swiss army 'rucksack', but that usually stays at home these days. It's just that bit bigger and heavier than necessary.

A few years ago my brother in Australia bought me smaller knife - I have no idea what make though it's very well made and has proved as robust as any swiss army knife I've had - which doesn't have a saw but does have some little scissors, as well as tin opener, corkscrew etc and a 2" blade. It's lighter and these days spends most of my life in my back pocket, wherever and whatever I'm doing. The scissors come in quite handy at work. Honest officer ..... :wink:
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby brodiedillon303 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:35 pm

well..................I' ve never been a great fan of multitools. I have used a few in my early years but found most of them pants. To me they all seem to be a compromise on what i really want. I like the credit card type now where you have the tweezers;scissors and such. as far as a saw on a multitool is concerned i would not bother. If i need a saw id use a husquavarnah or one of those japanese hand saw jobs that rip the guts out of anything in their way.If i had to chose one of those listed i would take the gerber for the blade and scissors. the light and screwdrivers would not be of interest to me. So if your giving them away for free send me the gerber please :wink:
brodiedillon303

Postby gaffr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:24 pm

I'm an Opinel carrying person, blade folds inside the wooden handle, and also a firestick for stove lighting. The wee knife with the firestick stored in the handle would take the place of both of these items......looks o.k. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Gable Gable End » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Andy Howell wrote:Some interesting stuff here althogh I'm personally happy to stay withthe Swiss Army Knife _ I regularly consume Pyrenean wine on the trail!

I would be a little suspicious about taking the Leartherman through airport security in hand luggae. In a busy airport it is quite a punt expecting the Security Guard to do anything but confiscate something like that! Mind you my Swiss Army Knife has been through security screens on numerous occasions without being discovered!

The Swedish knife and fire tool looks a great piece of kit. Perfect for cutting hard mountain sausage. I shall buy one.

Nice to see you on here Andy, been an avid reader of MBTW for a fair few years now.
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Richard Watters » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:41 pm

The hook on a Swiss Army pen knife? They couldn't have designed a more perfect tool for pulling out titanium tent pegs and the aluminium "V" pegs with the little hole at the top!
Richard Watters
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:26 pm

the scissors are the most useful tool on my swiss army knife, followed by the blade and the can opener. if they made one with just those three I would be a happy girl
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby PhilTurner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

gaffr wrote:I'm an Opinel carrying person, blade folds inside the wooden handle, and also a firestick for stove lighting.

Sadly it arrived too late for this review, but I've just received an Opinel No 8 Outdoor which features a built in whistle - looks good if you're interested in that style.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby PhilTurner » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:52 am

Richard Watters wrote:The hook on a Swiss Army pen knife? They couldn't have designed a more perfect tool for pulling out titanium tent pegs and the aluminium "V" pegs with the little hole at the top!

Ha! Excellent! :clap:
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby gaffr » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:33 pm

The new style Opinel looks good.....does the blade still fit into the handle? My old wooden handled model will probably see me out .....but if I need a replacement. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Gythral » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:59 pm

gaffr wrote:The new style Opinel looks good.....does the blade still fit into the handle? My old wooden handled model will probably see me out .....but if I need a replacement. :)

Yes it does, the only down side of it is the "twist lock" for the blade which doesnt lock the blade very well and can end up with the blade closing onto your hand in some situations!

Personally I've not found a use for a multi tool while, Hill walking, I use a good old 'swiss army knife' or a rope knife (when climbing).

And I love the 'mora' with a fire steel & holder for 2 to 3x the cost of a 'mora' and fire steel that doesn't live in the handle...
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk