walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots Advice - Scarpa let me down!

Boots Advice - Scarpa let me down!

Postby Gavin Canavan » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:33 pm

Yesterday I climbed Beinn Chabhair and in my opinion, my Scarpa boots did not perform the way I'd expect for the £120 I paid for them!

My feet and socks were soaked through and it definatley was not just sweat. It was a dry day but the hike over the open moorland to the ridge was quite wet and boggy underfoot. I did my best to avoid the deep bits but sometimes I could not avoid it and the muddy water would be upto the laces.

I've worn the boots on about 10 trips now and this is the first time I've noticed that my feet have been exceptionally wet, they kept my feet bone dry hiking through deep snow on Ben Lomond a few months ago.

I have however been cleaning them after every use (in my efforts to keep them in good confition), I'd use a damp cloth and warm water to clean the dirt and mud off of them.

So I need some advice;

Have I washed away thier waterproof properties by cleaning them all the time, or is this just something to expect from hiking over boggy moorland?

Has anyone else had an experience like this with Scarpa boots?

Is there anything I can buy to water proof them again?

Recomendations for better boots?

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Re: Boots Advice - Scarpa let me down!

Postby scoob999 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:54 pm

I had the same problem with my Salomon Quests on my second walk, soaked feet!!! £150 :shock:
I'm just wondering if the need to make a huge profit pushes Quality control to the bottom of the pile?
Mammut boots i bought in april, 3rd walk the lining came loose resulting in me losing all the skin above my toes! not a happy bunny that day
Disillusioned with paying big money for, well dissapointing boots i bought a pair of INNOV8 boots in Tiso on sale for £50 i think?
3 walks later 2 of them wet= dry feet :D =very happy bunny :D just how goretex boots should be!
VERY VERY LIGHT and VERY GRIPPY although i might put a thicker insole in them for these 20mile walks :lol:
Good luck with finding a good pair of boots
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby david451 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:48 pm

If these are those canvas type boots then I had two pair of boots and one pair of shoes die on me aswell, not the same make but same design.

I don't think the canvas material has enough waterproof protection and when it fails all that is left is the goretex sock.

I do believe that the goretex can need re-activated after getting wet and you need to stick them in a tumble dryer "so I was told". I washed mine in the proper stuff then the stuff that waterproofed them, tumble dried them and they **** water in just the same, especially so when I had my water proof leggings on and the water ran down onto them.

I have leather brashers and my feet are bone dry, treking through streams, wet grass, mud and everything that I can throw at them and all that happens is that the polish gets washed off. Gonna buy a new pair when they wear out or try and new sole on them, love the boots.

Did another good walk, 27k, at the weekend and feet were fine, heals were a bit sore though but it was fairly steep and rocky hard paths. Fokin sore today but 8 hours worth of bliss yesterday though.
david451

Postby Meatball » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:30 pm

What boots are they?
I have a few pairs and they didn't leak...my last outing DoD leave me soaked with sweat, gaiters and waterproofs meant it was inevitable.
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:50
Fionas:8   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Gavin Canavan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:39 am

Meatball wrote:What boots are they?
I have a few pairs and they didn't leak...my last outing DoD leave me soaked with sweat, gaiters and waterproofs meant it was inevitable.

They are Scarpa ZG65 XCR, I had read allot of good reviews and had high hopes for them, they're very comfortable.
Gavin Canavan
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:14 am

Gavin, this might be of interest:
http://www.scarpa.co.uk/technical/boot-care/

From what I can see your boots are cordura /suede and need to be treated with Nikwax or Graingers . Why not email Scarpa about this , they should be able to give you some answers .
Cheers ,
Gavin :)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby monarchming » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Gavin C and I have the same boots as you.I have had them for years and used them in all conditions.They have been used on many Munros and The Great Glen Way as well.As Gavin 99 advised it might be worth contacting Scarpa.Good luck! :D
monarchming
Munro compleatist

Munros:162   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:52 pm

I can't comment on the Scarpas as i've never had a pair. My previous three boots were Bergaus x2 and a pair of Brashers which both left my with damp-wet feet after they'd been worn a few times. My current boots are Meindles and i allways arrive back with dry feet, superb. :wink:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Technodullard » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:58 pm

I have the same problem. I proof my 4 month old Scarpas every time I go out in them and still they leak. With size 35 feet I find that all the boots I can get to fit are probably made with kids in mind, so not made to last :(

I once put plastic bags inside my boots but they just leaked too and made them slippery inside. Hmph.

The packaging of the Nikwax and Grainger wax recommend doing a few thin layers, but should I be buffing them to sheen between layers or leaving them dull between, just buffing once when I have put on the last layer? Anyone know?
Technodullard

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:39 pm

Technodullard wrote:The packaging of the Nikwax and Grainger wax recommend doing a few thin layers, but should I be buffing them to sheen between layers or leaving them dull between, just buffing once when I have put on the last layer? Anyone know?

It makes no difference. The important thing is that you allow the boot to absorb the wax. Shiny or matt it's the wax that repels the water.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby teaandpies » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:19 pm

Beinn Chabhair could soak your bones to be fair.
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:57 pm

david451 wrote:
I have leather brashers and my feet are bone dry, treking through streams, wet grass, mud and everything that I can throw at them and all that happens is that the polish gets washed off. Gonna buy a new pair when they wear out or try and new sole on them, love the boots.

So do I, simply love them and have worn nothing else for around 25 years now, but I don't believe my particular version (Hillmaster) will continue. They have been taken over by Berghaus (I think) and now they advertise Berghaus Hillmaster. I had been stockpiling against this eventuality and have 1 pair with cracks that will last a few more dry day walks, and one almost brand new that I bought 2 years ago, just in case. Plus 2 light weight versions that have the soles almost worn off. I am hoping they will see me out.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Sgurr wrote:
david451 wrote:

So do I, simply love them and have worn nothing else for around 25 years now, but I don't believe my particular version (Hillmaster) will continue. They have been taken over by Berghaus (I think) and now they advertise Berghaus Hillmaster. I had been stockpiling against this eventuality and have 1 pair with cracks that will last a few more dry day walks, and one almost brand new that I bought 2 years ago, just in case. Plus 2 light weight versions that have the soles almost worn off. I am hoping they will see me out.

I used to love my Hillmasters but the design changed a while ago and a couple of shops I respect stopped stocking them because they were getting too many returns. I've found Zamberlan Ultralites to be the closest thing I can find to the Brashers - same sort of size and weight and pretty well made.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby IanEzzi » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:29 pm

I don't think the canvas material has enough waterproof protection and when it fails all that is left is the goretex sock.

I do believe that the goretex can need re-activated after getting wet and you need to stick them in a tumble dryer "so I was told". I washed mine in the proper stuff then the stuff that waterproofed them, tumble dried them and they **** water in just the same, especially so when I had my water proof leggings on and the water ran down onto them.

When you tumble dry gore-tex you are doing so to rejuvenate the water-repellant coating, helping water bead off the surface rather than soak in. This does not make it more waterproof though, just helps the breathability.

I wouldn't think this would make any difference to your boots, it's the wax you are applying to the outer surface which is the water-repellant coating, and in my experience this makes precious little difference if the inner goretex membrane is leaking.

If your boots have a goretex lining and are leaking within the warranty period you could probably return them, a shop agreed to take back my 18 month old Scarpa Kailash boots on that basis. If they don't have a lining then nothing short of a 1 piece leather upper a la Scarpa SL Active, Altberg Tethera etc will keep your feet dry.

Maybe try the thin, calf length Seal Skinz waterproof socks with your existing boots?
IanEzzi

Munros:173   Corbetts:20
Fionas:8   Donalds:2

Postby Mountainrunner1981 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:22 pm

Gavin Canavan wrote:Recomendations for better boots?
If insistent on boots...

Hoka Tor Ultra Hi WP.

Hoka are little-known in the UK outside the Ultrarunning community.

Hoka Tors thoroughly recommended for walkers.

Buy a full size bigger - or 1 1/2 sizes bigger if wearing thick socks/2 pairs of socks.

Stack height is huge: super-thick midsole. No sting on foot soles after lots of miles.

Try a pair and you'll never look back.

I've ran 144 miles in a pair of Hokas with no pain on foot soles. Not Tors, but the midsole design is essentially the same.

You won't have painful feet in the slightest.

RE waterproofing: less waterproofing = better drainage.

It's always a compromise.
Mountainrunner1981

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk