walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Does anyone use the Garmin eTrex (basic yellow)?

Does anyone use the Garmin eTrex (basic yellow)?

Postby Jonay » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Does anyone have the Garmin eTrex, the first edition basic yellow one?

If so, what software are you using to put on routes/waypoints and also for downloading your Geocaches?

I've tried the Garmin BaseCamp but it doesn't recognise my device (doesn't show up under Devices) with the USB cable. I'm running Windows 7 and I have installed the driver for the cable.

I've tried GSAK (which does recognise the device) but I come across the problem when I use the WH Route planner (www.walkhighlands.co.uk/maps/) and plan a route, download as a .gpx file - none of the points are recognised by the program.

Anyone any ideas?
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Does anyone use the Garmin eTrex (basic yellow)?

Postby HighlandSC » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:45 pm

Looks like the old garmin I have. Don't have it to hand though so I'm not sure exactly.

I use it with Quo software (think it's free without maps), and Windows Vista. I had to get a cheap USB cable to avoid the need for serial. Quo recognises it no problem and supports whatever native format Garmin uses. I import/export, and usually convert exports to a GPX file via Quo.

Check out this thread. Win 7 is mentioned as being a problem
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13181

Some other old Garmin threads that may be if interest:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3512
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4376
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby rockhopper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:03 pm

I think there's a difference between tracks and routes both of which can be in a gpx - have you tried easygps ?
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby islayhawk » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:43 pm

I use this device - however have tried many different software packages and I cannot my laptop to recognise it using the usb to serial converter. It will run ok on my desktop using the converter. I find the unit really accurate and suits me - however I still carry map/compass

islayhawk
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:54 am

I had a garmin Geko 301 about same era as yours (now got a Etrex 10) both worked ok with EastGPS, although sometmes took couple of attempts with the Geko. I think this was because I had only plugged it in via a serial to USB lead just before, worked better if plugged in well before !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby neil_mcgeoch » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:44 pm

Probably of no use to you, but I can't get mine to work either. Not on my desktop nor laptop using the USB to Serial converter. The software I have been using is easygps.
I initially thought it was maybe becaus of Windows 7, but its XP on my desktop, so I know its not the operating system.
I emailed Garmin and hunted through forums and I have found nothing which fixes the issue. If you do find a fix, please post it on here.

Luckily, I have a serial port on my desktop, so I use that. It's just not ideal.
Good luck.
neil_mcgeoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1

Postby ExpatEddie » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:58 pm

I use the Garmin eTrex SUmmit which is the same as the yellow but has the altitude facility. I use it with Memory Map and only to record my walks from Garmin to MM. Earlier this year I upgraded my computer (desktop) and could not use the serial port so bought a USB converter cable which the computer recognised but not the Garmin. Explained this to Garmin and they e-mailed back a solution which worked for me. It is quite lengthy but I give it below and hope that it will help somebody.

If you have attempted to use the USB to Serial Converter cable, and it is not transferring data properly, the drivers for the device may not be installed correctly. Please follow these steps to check for proper installation:

1. Click the Start button
2. Right-click My Computer
3. Click Properties
4. At the top of the System Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab
5. Click the Device Manager button (on Windows Vista and 7 simply click Device Manager)
6. From the Device Manager list, click the Plus Sign (+) next to Ports (COM & LPT)
7. Under the Ports (COM & LPT) heading, “USB to Serial Converter” should be listed followed by a (COM number).
a) If there is a Question Mark (?) or Exclamation Mark (!) next to “USB to Serial Converter” or it does not appear under the Ports (COM & LPT) heading, the drivers are not properly installed.
b) If there is not a Question Mark (?) or Exclamation Mark (!) next to "USB to Serial Converter" followed by a (COM number), it is properly installed

If the USB to Serial Converter cable is not installed properly follow the instructions that came with the cable to install the drivers.
If it is properly installed however MapSource does not recognize the unit you may need to configure MapSource to correctly see the GPS unit.

1. Open MapSource
2. Click Edit
3. Click Preferences
4. Select the Transfer tab
5. Select Search for Garmin Devices on the following serial port
6. Select Auto from the drop down menu

If Auto does not work try the specific COM port the unit is on.
If it is properly installed, but will not transfer data, there may be a software program preventing the serial/COM port from being used.
Make sure that your GPS is set to communicate in Garmin Mode. See your user's manual for specific instructions for your GPS unit. Then try the communication again. If it still will not transfer data, you will need to exit out of any programs running in the background that can use a serial port. One way to shut down unnecessary programs on your computer is with the Task Manager. Please follow these steps:

1. Open the Task Manager dialog box by pressing the keyboard shortcut: Ctrl+Alt+Delete keys.
2. Click the Processes tab.
3. Click the first column heading labeled Image Name to alphabetize the Processes list,
4. End Process on items named Hotsync, WCESMgr, wcescomm, UPS, X10net, Lvcomm, BBDVMonitor, BESMonitor, Parachute, Weatherpak, Zune, Sidekick Mojo, Intercept and Tablet.
5. Click Yes to the WARNING message.
NOTE: These programs will automatically start again every time you start your computer.
6. Retry transferring data with your GPS unit.

If these procedures do not resolves the communication issue, try a different USB to Serial Converter cable produced by another manufacturer to see if it will transfer data properly.
If you have no serial port on your computer and the USB to Serial Converter cable attempt has failed, there may be another solution. You can purchase a Serial PC Card Adapter for laptops or Serial PCI Card for desktops, to give your computer a true serial/COM port. These can be purchased through some Internet online retailers, or most computer/electronics retailers. When purchasing any hardware for your computer please make sure that it had the proper drivers for your Operating System especially when it is a 64 bit version.

If there is anything else I can help you with then please let me know. Alternatively you can search for a solution here: http://www.garmin.com/support
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby stevesey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:25 pm

I have the original basic yellow eTrex - use easyGPS with one of these USB -> Serial convertors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-2-0-TO-RS ... 748wt_1397

and Windows 7 (on laptop and desktop) - Windows 7 recognises the converter and installs drivers automatically.

All works well (once it lost communictions and wouldn't talk - but disconnecting, a reboot and re-selecting the port sorted that).
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Jonay » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:15 am

ExpatEddie wrote:If the USB to Serial Converter cable is not installed properly follow the instructions that came with the cable to install the drivers.
If it is properly installed however MapSource does not recognize the unit you may need to configure MapSource to correctly see the GPS unit.

1. Open MapSource
2. Click Edit
3. Click Preferences
4. Select the Transfer tab
5. Select Search for Garmin Devices on the following serial port
6. Select Auto from the drop down menu

Using MapSource and setting the device manually as above worked :clap:

Thanks.
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby ExpatEddie » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:29 pm

Jonay wrote:Using MapSource and setting the device manually as above worked :clap:

Thanks.

Glad I was able to help someone on this website. Enjoy your success :)
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Postby neil_mcgeoch » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 pm

My problem has always been trying to get the driver to get this thing to work. In case others are in that position, I found the driver here: http://www.usglobalsat.com/s-24-support-drivers.aspx

Under 'Top Downloads', is the driver you need. I've just done it and managed to get my Garmin etrex h to work on my laptop for the first time (I'm quite chuffed).

Just make sure you change the port from within the GPS software you are using.
neil_mcgeoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1

Postby hharper » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:23 pm

I used my Garmin eTrex (basic yellow) for many years. I upgraded it to the eTrex H (high sensitivity version). Both are excellent products.

I used Anquet Version 1 software with Windows 7 and both eTrex versions worked fine. Anquet Version 1 software is no longer available and is no longer supported but it continues to work well on my Windows 7 desktop and Windows 7 laptop.

The eTrek is also recognised by Easy GPS (free without maps). One option is to use any convenient mapping software to generate a route, save it as a GPX file in a folder, then use Easy GPS to transfer it to the eTrex. This process can be used in reverse to save tracklogs and call them up on your mapping software.

Don't try to draw complicated route shapes. The eTrex cannot cope with huge numbers of waypoints. Draw simple routes with a few waypoints joined with straight lines.

Anquet have been through several generations of mapping software since Version 1. I currently use their OMN (Outdoor Map Navigator) with a Garmin GPSMAP 64s GPS. I have OMN on my desktop, iPad and iPhone with a single subscription. The three devices work in synchronism. OMN is very impressive and it can be used offline with the iPhone. It performs as well as the Garmin GPS and I can switch from 1:50k maps to 1:25k maps in an instant, whereas my Garmin is restricted to 1:50k. The OS maps are updated, but the OS maps on the Garmin cannot be updated. My only reservation about OMN on the iPhone is the need to conserve battery life, whereas I can carry spare batteries for the Garmin. In my opinion, if the battery consideration can be solved, OMN will render the Garmin GPS obsolete.

I gave away my eTrek H when I upgraded to the GPSMAP 64s so I have not checked whether it would work with OMN. However, OMN itself is free. You only pay a subscription for the maps. You could download OMN to a Windows 7 computer and try it out with the eTrex. If OMN recognises the eTrex and you pay the Anquet subscription (£24 per annum) you have a complete system at your fingertips.

Good luck!
hharper
Mountain Walker

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 am

rockhopper wrote:I think there's a difference between tracks and routes both of which can be in a gpx - have you tried easygps ?

Bingo. I used Easy GPS too with my old Etrex H.

However a lot of the WH routes have too many waypoints for the Etrex H to handle. So it became a bit of a hassle in the end and I bought an Etrex 10.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk