walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Pro Shell vs. Active Shell

Pro Shell vs. Active Shell

Postby tam_187 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi all,

Im looking at getting a new Gore Tex jacket.

I do alot of 3 season walking (Munros mostly!) and the odd bit of scrambling. Getting more into my bothy/camping trips too and am looking to get into some winter bagging.

Just wondering if anyone had any advice for me re Pro shell vs. Active shell? I understand that the Active is the more breathable and lighter but the Pro is more durable but I want something that will be really breathable as im a fast+hot walker but also really durable as scrambling can be pretty tough on jackets.

How does the Pro compare to the Active when it comes to breathability and how does the Active compare to the Pro in durability?

Someone just tell me which to get!!!!!!!!!!! haha
tam_187
Mountain Walker

Munros:86   Corbetts:1

Re: Pro Shell vs. Active Shell

Postby basscadet » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:23 pm

eVent :lol:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Gythral » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:29 pm

basscadet wrote:eVent :lol:

:clap: :thumbup:
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Belgian_Hiker » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:57 pm

On take one step further and check out Rab Stretch Neo (Polarteh Neoshell). Been using it all year from winter conditions to rain in the highlands in July - best jacket I've ever had in terms of waterproof, breathable, fit and weight !
Belgian_Hiker
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:7   

Postby tam_187 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks guys!

So what are some good eVent jackets? Are they much better than Gore?

Belgian_hiker - so the Rab Stretch Neo is kind of a cross between a hard and soft shell. How heavy is it and does it pack down small? I have a few soft shells for winter but find them far too warm for sumer use - does this jacket have much insultation?

Thanks!
tam_187
Mountain Walker

Munros:86   Corbetts:1

Postby Eskimo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:13 pm

I have a Pro Shell Mountain Equipment jacket and can advise that it is super breathable (I get hot very easily like you). I've never had any moisture build up and it has never let water in. I would say it's over kill for the summer months however (unless it's pouring down) and as such I use this as my winter jacket. ME make awesome jackets I think, nice cut, well positioned pockets etc and the hoods are legendary.

For summer months I use a Rab Shadow fleece which uses Polartec Windpro fabric. Really good at keeping the wind out, warm but not overly and the hood is superb. Also has an element of water proofness. I use this in the winter too under my ME Pro Shell. I also carry a Berghaus Paclite Shell jacket in summer in case it gets a bit wetter. This shell is good as well but no where near as durable and not as breathable. I get moisture build up in this if working hard. This shell is not suitable for a bad winters day in my opinion - been soaked many a time when it's a down pour! Light and packable is where this jacket excels. You can pack it up into a very small mesh bag if you want.

Can't say anything about the Active Shell apart from I think it's quite new to the Gore Tex range and I'm sure it's even lighter than the Paclite Shell. If this is the case I don't think it would stand up to bad winters day or even a heavy down pour in the summer! Being light may ensure you don't sweat much and reduce moisture build up though.

As for eVent - some people love it, others hate it. I'm in the latter camp. Found the the material was more difficult to care for than Gore Tex, had moisture build up and I took a good few soakings in this shell. Does seem to be a lighter material however. This was a wee while ago now and it may have improved but I really like Gore Tex, has never let me down and you tend to stick with something you trust.

Go to a decent shop and try a few on for fit etc and shops like Craigdon in Perth give you really good honest advice. Even Cotswolds give good advice which is unusual for a big chain in my experience

:) .
Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby Eskimo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Eskimo

Munros:116   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:13   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:02 pm

eVent takes a lot of looking after, which can be a pain constantly reproofing it. I'd go with active shell seen as its stretchy fabric, which is handy for scrambling (and general mobility) and unless your scraping up thin chimneys and hugging rock then it'll most likely last as long as the pro shell model.

Then again, the Neo shell jacket Rab make has stretch properties as well, and Rab make quality kit so that's worth a look in !
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk