walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rab Neutrino or Microlight for Scottish winter??

Rab Neutrino or Microlight for Scottish winter??

Postby coachmacca » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Hi both my wife and I are considering what we might need for winter walking in Scotland - from what we can tell that's the time you find out how extreme it can get :) and we canny wait!!

A mate whos a guide is sorting our training , equipment lists etc but jacket wise were looking at either the Rab Neutrino or Microlight Alpine and wondered if anyone has tried either and could tell us if the Alpine would cut it or is the Neutrino would be better? (Or indeed any other recommendations !)

Given cost id rather try and get it right - any feedback welcome! Doing Alpine stuff next year as well so looking for one that will last I guess.

Second question - sorry being a pain.. I got a pair of Mammut Brecon's which I love but will they cut it for winter /snow? Only realised after I had broken them in that maybe they wont :( they are 3 season leather/GoreTex and are Crampon (C1) compatible so that threw me... sorry - newbie learning as I go!

Cheers in advance folks!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Rab Neutrino or Microlight for Scottish winter??

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Stay away from them both. Down insulation is just about useless when it gets wet and no matter how hard you try not to, you will be getting wet in Scottish winter conditions ! Go with something like the Rab Generator Alpine which uses Primaloft insulation which is synthetic and keeps its warmth when it gets wet. It'll be fine for use in the alps next season as well. It might not quite be as cosy as down but it still feels warm when it gets an absolute soaking and makes drying you inner layer a lot easier. Don't go for a down jacket with a waterproof membrane either. Its self defeating as it traps sweat vapour and in turn the down begins to soak this up and wets it through anyway.

In regards to boots, B1 would be fine I suppose but if you plan on getting into more of the mountaineering side of things and going to the alps next year then a good solid B2 or B3 boot investment would serve you well for all aspects. Whatever is comfortable and fits you foot well is the one I would go for !
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby whiteburn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 pm

SouthernUplandKing wrote:Stay away from them both... Go with something like the Rab Generator Alpine which uses Primaloft ...

I'll second that!
The only time you'll use an insulated jacket (apart from getting stuff on the hill) will be when you stop for a break and it's handy to have something your can just pop over the top of your walking jacket so you may want to look at something a little larger than normal.

You could manage with just a spare heavy weight fleece.

I find a Bothy bag a far more useful piece of kit http://www.rockrun.com/products/Terra-Nova-Bothy-2.html. than my primaloft jacket, once inside I find I don't need extra lagging :)

The other thing you may want to consider (is your mate hasn't already mentioned it) is going on a 'Winter Skills' course http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/course-wintermountain-skills-display.asp?course_id=38
this covers all the basics including kit selection.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:04 pm

Cheers both for the info.. decided in a moment of insanity to actually stop trying to get divine inspiration for purchasing and ask someone for advice in Cotswold .

Would you beleive it he actually knew some stuff :wink:
Basically said the exact same as both you guys. Think this year Winter WALKING will be th aim so my Brecons should be ok with C1's but maybe next year if my skills and guts improve ill upgrade.

Rab Generator seems a firm favourite! Looking at Montain Equipment Bastion or Fitzroy too but Generator I think will end up in the rucksack :D

Thanks again both - advice VERY welcome!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Postby coachmacca » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:07 pm

whiteburn wrote:

You could manage with just a spare heavy weight fleece.

I find a Bothy bag a far more useful piece of kit http://www.rockrun.com/products/Terra-Nova-Bothy-2.html. than my primaloft jacket, once inside I find I don't need extra lagging :)

The other thing you may want to consider (is your mate hasn't already mentioned it) is going on a 'Winter Skills' course http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/course-wintermountain-skills-display.asp?course_id=38
this covers all the basics including kit selection.

And thank for the extra info and taking the time to dig out links!
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk