walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear Review: Backpacking Tents for Two

Re: Gear Review: Backpacking Tents for Two

Postby Andy Howell » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:08 pm

I seriously wonder about the Hilleberg Anjan. Although this is a lighter version than the Nallo if you use titanium pegs you will get close the the Anjan weight and you will have a stronger tent.

I used a Nallo for years but have had some very uncomfortable nights in it when the wind was swirling and it was impossible to pitch end into the wind — this will be a problem with the Anjan as well. Also, with this tent you need to pay real attention to the door zip. It gets quite tense as it bends around the curve — you need to keep the zip as clean as you can and keep it well lubricated. One of these with a failed door zip is not a pleasant experience.

What you do get with this tent is a lot of internal space which can be very useful when camping in poor weather.

For two people in the UK weather the two vestibule system is a clear winner.

I agree with Phil the Nallo is a better buy for marginal extra weight. But Hilleberg are no longer the automatic option than they wre ten years ago!
Andy Howell
Mountain Walker

Postby tenohfive » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:53 pm

Am thinking about a 2 man (for 1 person) tent for winter camping, but at around the £100 mark. I've heard good things about both the Banshee 200 and the Zephyros 2 and both are around that price point.

I'm curious as to which is the better in foul weather?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby forcanridge » Wed May 01, 2013 8:18 am

tenohfive wrote:Am thinking about a 2 man (for 1 person) tent for winter camping, but at around the £100 mark. I've heard good things about both the Banshee 200 and the Zephyros 2 and both are around that price point.

I have a Zephyros 2, as it's basically a Laser made with heavier fabric, it's a good design, and really quick to pitch as the inner and fly pitch together. I've used it out and about in the 'Gorms in all sorts of weather with no bother. Proper double skin, decent groundsheet, adjustable ventilation on the inner, couldn't ask for a better tent.

And on the subject of tents for two, I prefer a 3-man tent when away as a pair, in my case a Black's Octane 3 - 2kg, loads of space with a porch as big as the sleeping area...
forcanridge
Munro compleatist

Postby whiteburn » Wed May 01, 2013 8:43 am

tenohfive wrote:Am thinking about a 2 man (for 1 person) tent for winter camping, but at around the £100 mark. I've heard good things about both the Banshee 200 and the Zephyros 2 and both are around that price point.

Having experience of both IMO the Zephyros has better foul weather performance, is easier the pitch, design is better and the manufacturing quality higher. In particular I find the Zephyros easier to get a good taut pitch so the tent doesn't rattle all night, it can require a few additional pegs (Alpkit Ti pins) to get this right on un-even ground.

They both are NOT 4 season mountain tents so don't expect stellar performance on the summit of Cairngorm in a February blizzard.

If you have the funds the Zephyros Lite is worth a look but it's around £200
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby tenohfive » Wed May 01, 2013 12:43 pm

The Z2Lite is around £165, and I've heard rumours of it coming down even more in price to compete with the Banshee. Is it any less of a performer than the Zephyros 2? The way it reads is that it trims down the weight through better materials, so I'm guessing not?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby basscadet » Wed May 01, 2013 2:57 pm

Sorry to be dim, but I just dont get what a 4 season tent has over a 3 season?.. I have never owned a 4 season, but have camped out in all kinds of weather at all times of year for a long time without any difficulties or discomfort.. Could someone explain the difference to me? Confused! :crazy:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby whiteburn » Wed May 01, 2013 7:24 pm

basscadet wrote:Sorry to be dim, but I just dont get what a 4 season tent has over a 3 season?.. ... :crazy:

High wind & heavy snow fall needs a full geodesic designed tent, more and usually heftier poles plus lots of guy ropes to nail it down.
I wouldn't camp up the Ben in winter with the Zephyros but I would (& have) with the Terra Nova Quasar in some wild conditions. http://www.fieldandtrek.com/terra-nova-quasar-tent-783169
The downside is the high weight, 4.3 kg :( not something I'd consider lugging up to Cape Wrath in the middle of summer.

Horses for courses!!
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby mr_ash_37 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:54 pm

I have a vango force 10 helium 200. Cracking spec.
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby scotsmist » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:46 am

is there an update to this thread taking into consideration newer models, newer materials, better poles etc ?

I'm still using my Banshee 200 (2017) in all seasons.
scotsmist

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:55 am

scotsmist wrote:is there an update to this thread

Value wise the Chinese are smashing things out of the park, quality tents cloning Western designs for about £90 on Aliexpress, variants of popular tents by SMD, Zpacks, Tarptent, Big Agnes, MSR.

Performance wise Dyneema (Cuben Fibre) is starting to filter out of boutique and into the lineups of the bigger boys, e.g. Big Agnes Fly Creek HV1 is about 450g and the Tiger Wall 2 is about 650g. But they'll eat the thick end of a grand out of your hand.

It'll be lovely when the Chinese eventually get round to using Cuben.

basscadet wrote:I just dont get what a 4 season tent has over a 3 season?

As said, geodesic tents are used for gale-force on mountains. For less extreme but still very cold conditions it can be things like having a snow skirt, or having an inner that isn't mainly mesh; some tents you can swap a mesh inner for a mainly nylon inner.

You say you've been out in all sorts of weather in your 3 season tent; what's the lowest temperature you've hit? Minus ten? Minus twenty?
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby kaiserstein » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:03 pm

I had the anjan. Did a few summit camps with it. I sold it as it was amazingly loud in higher winds. Was like sleeping in a drum. I now have a lightwave g20 trek. I'm happy to carry the extra k for the flexibility and durability of the geodesic design. It's also 4 season but haven't used it in winter yet
kaiserstein
Mountain Walker

Munros:65   Corbetts:222
Fionas:30   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:5   Islands:9

Postby bydand_loon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:06 pm

scotsmist wrote:is there an update to this thread taking into consideration newer models, newer materials, better poles etc ?

Some of the DCF (cuben fibre) tents are getting very decent reviews, tarptent Strat Li and notch li particularly took my eye. A lot of love for quite a lot of the US cottage stuff as well. Unfortunately for me a lot of them are single skin, or inner pitch 1st, not something I'm interested in. Also theres not really any change from £500, in some cases the 500 would just be a deposit :shock:

I picked up a dan durston Xmid recently which is really nice, although I haven't had it out for any extended period, but a 800/900g twin skin for £170 ish.

I'm actually looking for a cheap but decent two person for some friends doing the WHW, have looked at the Chinese clones that are getting good reviews but think I might go for the banshee 300.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 pm

Banshee Pro 300 looks a cracking, solid, genuinely "good for two" tent.

A Chinese clone you might want to at least muse on for comparison is the Naturehike Mongar, £90 on Aliexpress, a bit more if bought in the UK. It's a MSR Hubba Hubba clone, so two side doors and massive vestibules.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby scotsmist » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:04 am

Some interesting replies and information, especially towards the Chinese copies....

Im a huge fan of Vango still and thinking like previous poster about a Banshee 300 pro as my next trekking tent and an upgrade to my 200.

I'm not a fan of inner pitch first and a big fan of all in one pitching. Specially in Scotland (UK).

A bit of talk about lightweight tents is under 1000g but high price 300-400 pounds but.... Are these light weight tents strong enough to handle the Cairngorms on a windy cold February.

I've camped out in my Banshee in December half way up Nevis, neAr the loch and although only a 3 season tent, with a decent mat (exped Dow), quality sleeping bag and thermal long Jones I've managed to get my head down in 40 mph plus winds without worrying my tent is going off without me. The low height and TBS system helps as does longer pegs and pitching in the right direction.
I'm willing to spend £200-£300 on a 2 man and maybe a wee bit more on a 3 man if it's something special but am wary about going higher in price and lighter in weight if it means sleeping a night in a Wendy house ie some of the Force Ten tents.
scotsmist

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:02 am

scotsmist wrote:is there an update to this thread taking into consideration newer models, newer materials, better poles etc ?

FWIW I'm still using a banshee 200 bought in 2010. Stands up well to strong winds and doesn't let in rain. OK I do use it between April and October so don't know about winter. Total weight about 2kg (only one door entry) but good space to cook if careful with fly zipped shut. Don't really see a need to change it as trade off for saving a few hundred grammes would likely be a lot of cost and I may not be any happier with a new tent (but do keep an eye on the market just in case).
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk