walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Platypus bite valve cover

Platypus bite valve cover

Postby simon-b » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:59 pm

The bite valve cover I use in Winter with my Platypus hydration pack keeps coming open while I'm walking, or whenever I take my rucksack on and off. Does anyone else have this problem, and/or have a solution?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Platypus bite valve cover

Postby Gythral » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:58 pm

simon-b wrote:The bite valve cover I use in Winter with my Platypus hydration pack keeps coming open while I'm walking, or whenever I take my rucksack on and off. Does anyone else have this problem, and/or have a solution?

No solution (yet!), but both my 1.5l & 2l ones have a (bad) habit of losing the bite bit, to the extent that I've replaced 1 with a "Source" valve, bit & cover, but the 1 walk it's been used on so far suggests the it is going to suffer the same problem :shock:
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Postby simon-b » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm

Thanks, Gythral. It's interesting to know that the Source parts fit the Platypus hose. Does anyone know if a CamelBak bite valve and cover would fit? I could get hold of them more easily than Source or Platypus spares.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:36 pm

I've fitted a Nalgene bite valve http://www.facewest.co.uk/Nalgene-Bite-Valve.html to my Platypus. It's a very secure fit, though it takes some getting on in the first place (as suggested in the link, soften the end of the tube in boiling water). Doesn't have a cover, though.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Liathach » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:25 pm

The Source valve with cover is very good. It avoids puddles in the boot of the car when the valve is depressed accidentally!
Liathach

Postby Rudolph » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:58 pm

simon-b wrote:Thanks, Gythral. It's interesting to know that the Source parts fit the Platypus hose. Does anyone know if a CamelBak bite valve and cover would fit? I could get hold of them more easily than Source or Platypus spares.

I've used camelback hozes and quick fit stuff with platypus gear so I think the tubing is the same diameter.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby simon-b » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:52 am

Thanks for the replies.

I've now replaced the valve with a CamelBak one, but kept the Platypus cover. So far, it seems to have done the trick, having worked without freezing in sub-zero temperatures on Sunday.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Postby electricfly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:31 am

The Platypus bite-valve cover will stay closed over your valve if you close firmly then squeeze at the sides. This creates a mini vacum and keeps the cover from popping open.

It's also a good idea to blow any excess liquid back into the reservoir after each drink. This prevents dribbles and helps keep the valve frost-free on winter summits. :wink:
electricfly

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:45   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk