walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Camera which one to buy????

Camera which one to buy????

Postby stevepk42 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:28 pm

Hi,
was wondering if anybody could give me some advice on which camera to buy.
Im going to Mount Everest Base camp in April 23rd 2013, trek and spend 2 days in base camp, Im not very up on cameras so if any body could give advice and where to buy id be greatfull. Dont want to spend more than about £350.00 if poss.
Thanks in advance.
Steve.
stevepk42
Munro compleatist

Munros:19   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:5   

Re: Camera which one to buy????

Postby Jonay » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Are you looking for a compact or a DSLR (like the ones that pro photographers use) ?

Then, are you looking for a sturdy one that can take a few knocks and drops and be water/dust/freeze proof or do you want one to take the best pictures possible at the cost of being a bit more fragile?
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:3   

Postby tenohfive » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am

I'd avoid DSLR's unless you've got an interest in the subject and are willing to be a bit more flexible on budget.

I'd look at either a decent compact or a bridge camera - the latter is somewhere between a compact and a DSLR. No interchangeable lenses but decent zoom etc.

On the compact front I've heard the Canon S100 raved about by a lot of photographers as something to keep in the pocket when they don't want to take out their SLR's. It comes in well under budget but that's not a bad thing, shoots in RAW and you can manually adjust the usual settings (shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc) if you get adventurous and take it out of auto mode.

I don't know much about the latest bridge offerings but this should help - there are a few on there, and DPReviews a good site:
http://www.dpreview.com/camerareviews/?category=compacts&order=date
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Border Reiver » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:26 pm

I always use compacts now, because I got sick of missing photo opportunities while fishing an SLR out of it's case or my rucksack, or changing lenses. My compact sits in a pocket (trouser or shirt) and can be taken out and used in under 10 secs, but I dropped one or two on rocks,which they didn't like, dropped another in a burn and drowned it and the latest one I had to dismantle to remove dirt from the sensor. It's an excellent camera that I still use (Panasonic Lumix TZ8), but I've recently bought an Olympus TG1 because it is "drop proof" from 2m, waterproof to over 10m and freeze-proof to -10c. It's a brilliant little camera for my needs, as I only need good quality holiday or walk snaps - they'll never be enlarged, framed or entered in serious competitions. It's had a good testing recently and I particularly like the GPS setting so I can find more-or less where I took various pics when abroad. Most manufacturers have "tough" models though and there are some excellent ones and some poor ones.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby stevepk42 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks guys for the replys, certainly given me food for thought. Whichever one i get i will be sure to share all those fabulous(hopefully) Everest shots.
steve
stevepk42
Munro compleatist

Munros:19   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:5   

Postby sloosh » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:08 pm

I would have to say go with a bridge camera considering where it is you are going so you have a full range of focal lengths to play with for framing those tremendous views and zooming in on wildlife, etc. Actually, I'd say go for a bridge camera and a cheap compact.

For a bridge camera with a ridiculously long focal length (24mm - 800mm equivalent) you might go for the Canon Powershot SX40 HS. I have one and cannot fault it. It has built-in image stabilisation so you can even get sharp images hand-holding at the maximum zoom. It's also a lot lighter and a fair bit smaller than a standard dslr. Currently retailing at the £250 mark.

Here's a wee review I did.

If you do go for the Canon SX40, this is a good case for it. Perfect fit.

Also, make sure you have some spare batteries although I wouldn't go for the Canon own brand because they are very expensive and the other ones work just as well. And whatever you go for make sure you have a polarising filter for the lens. :thumbup:
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby madprof » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:11 am

I would recommend the Canon S100 as it is now end-of-line and is going cheaply. A very nice point-and-shoot and it really can fit in a pocket. I took an S95 (very similar model) on a couple of winter walks and the results were fantastic. Except when snow got inside the lens extension mechanism. Then it had to dry out for ages over a radiator...
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Benjaminnevis » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:15 pm

I picked up a Samsung WB750 from jessops reduced to 100 quid and am happy enough we it.a lot better than yer average point and shoot yet still small enough to fit in yer pocket.
Benjaminnevis
Hill Bagger

Munros:38   Corbetts:15
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:27   

Postby Dwiea » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:27 am

I have a Pentax K5 which is a nice DSLR but a wee bit out of your budget but I also have a Panasonic DMC-FT3 which is a good option as well.

I would say though if you are looking for photos as good as you can get then look into a Pentax K30 which are quite cheap, weather sealed and the kit lens is actually decent :-) I have no experience with other makes.
Dwiea
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:5

Postby RTMcB » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 pm

I love my Sony HX20v, come down in price since I bought it and £40 cashback from sony too, means its your for under £200! Recent posts from SMRussell feature photos taken with it. GPS is included too. We used to carry a heavy DSLR up the munro's but getting the small Sony is so much better.

+1 for DPReview website
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Postby gaffr » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am

Thanks for the information all. :D Does anyone around here know anything about the Sony Nex 5N or 5RKB cameras.....they seem to be appearing in the adverts at the moment....must be the time of year. :) If any of the folks have used this range of cameras I would be pleased to hear of what you think about the performance. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Tinto63 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Sony 5N is compact system camera with a sensor the same size as a dslr but in a compact body and with interchangeable lenses. see this site
http://www.johnlewis.com/Electricals/Area.aspx

One thing that nobody seems to have mentioned is battery life and how you are going to recharge it on your Everest trip, but you can now buy solar panels for this and your phone etc. And take spare sd cards.

Hope you have a good trip.
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Postby Billymaca » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:12 pm

I would agree with Sloosh, I also have the SX40HS and can't fault it, it has the new Dig!c5 processor in it which has made a big difference to it compared to its predecessor the SX30IS,It is also 1080p video, very clear and sharp pictures, what I like the most about it is the fact that it can take a very good picture in extremely low light. The pic I submitted in the photo comp was taken on this camera, set to automatic, nothing fancy.
Jura 2012 123.JPG
Canon SX40HS automatic setting
Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby Billymaca » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:29 pm

Billymaca
Scrambler

Postby gadgiefaemacduff » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Nikon Coolpix P7100. Its not exactly compact compared to others but this is a pretty serious camera. It has all the settings (and more) you would need to start with. The next step up from this would be to a DSLR.

The Cannon equivelant to this is the Powershot G12 I beleive, But i'm a Nikon man so cant comment.

Hope this helps a bit.
gadgiefaemacduff
Mountain Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:6   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk