walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Women Walkers need your advice please !

Women Walkers need your advice please !

Postby coachmacca » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Im looking at getting my wife a new pack as part of her chrissie bundle and was about to get her an Arete 45 (i got one - last years model for a bargain 47 quid i might add of tintertweb).

Anyhoo I noticed some packs come in womens versions - the shape is different I read.

Question .. are they different? What do any of the ladyfolk here use (40-50l) ? We both have great light Montane 25l cobra's but the 4-50l is for winter and for Glenmore in Feb.

Our first pack were 40l jobs from Decthlon and the shape/cut seems fine for her but I wanted to go lighter, neater and bigger too so Arete was ideal.

Any ideas appreciated! :o :o
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Re: Women Walkers need your advice please !

Postby Rudolph » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:06 am

Try them on. They are certainly differently shaped. A female specific version may fit better than a standard one but until you try them you can't be sure.

They do tend to come in more 'girlie' colours and I've seen one which had a pretty flower attached. Only you can decide if that's a good thing! It stopped our boys borrowing it if nothing else.

MrsSanta uses a standard Osprey Exos 46 which fits her well and is really light.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Jonay » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:36 am

The women's Arete only comes in 35L IIRC?
Jonay
Stravaiging

Munros:14   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby basscadet » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:34 am

I would say it depends on the load you are carrying. My daysack is a man's daysack.. It doesnt fit that well, but thats fine if you are just carrying your lunch, waterproofs and even crampons and axe. If I were to carry more weight than that, I would want a comfy rucksack and that means going for a womens version.. We have shorter backs, slimmer shoulders, skinnier waists and bigger hips and these are all the places a rucksack has contact, so important :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:13 pm

Women go for what looks nice...well that is my criteria when I buy a new backpack :D . I never had any particular gender one, so i am not sure if they would be any different. I completely agree with trying the backpack on...I had some which just felt wrong, when I tried them on.
As for the male and female ones...I guess it depends how your wife is build...if she had broad shoulders and narrow hips, a female version might not work...just as a man with narror shoulders and a short back might be better with a female version.
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Islands:10

Postby Lenore » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 pm

The women's ones are sometimes built for shorter torsos than the same pack in a men's version. I'm about 1.80 m tall, and those women's versions tend to be too short, so I guess they must be made for really short women. The hip strap then ends up around my waist!

Sometimes the only difference is color, though.
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby mrssanta » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:37 pm

I have three rucksacks I use regularly, a small 24l for walks near home, it's a deuter ladies one, a great big 65litre one for camping trips which is a Berghaus ladies model, quite heavy so only use if I need to carry lots of gear, and an Osprey Exos 46litre (not ladies) for lightweight backpacking/camping. when I bought the Osprey I tried on various ladies ones and found none of them comfortable at all.
the moral of this is, try your rucksack on with some load in it.
hope it helps
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby HighlandSC » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:18 pm

For a camping pack my wife got a 60l osprey with then custom belt.... Shop heats it up in a special oven thing then you mould it to your shape. http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/web/custom_molding
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby coachmacca » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:52 pm

Wow! Thanks to all for the advice :) Food for thought :) she likes my Arete 45 and is pretty tall and not "slight/narrow" so it may just be that methinks

Hope you all have a great Christmas :clap: :D :D
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby chickadee » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:29 pm

I think it depends on her shape/how tall she is etc. I'm a shortie so I've got a "women's" rucksack for day walking which is smaller and sits better on my back. I have some back problems so I need support in the right places if I'm out in a glen and carrying my heavy camera, water and so on. I got a Regatta rucksack on Ebay for £15, it was a great purchase! Only problem is it's a hideous turquoise colour but walking gear manufacturers often seem to think all women want brightly coloured 'female' things. Not always! I love colour but sometimes it's too much even for me, haha.

I own a big 60L Trespass rucksack for long walks/overnight, but haven't used it yet. It's really big, almost as big as me! It's a regular bag, not targeted at women, so I'm not sure if it'll be best for me or not. I think the only way to know is to go and try them out, really! You have to get the right fit. Women are differently shaped (basically, I mean - not that we're all the same!) after all. Also I'd take some stuff to put in the bags she tries on so she can get a better idea of what it's actually like to carry the stuff. I know that's so obvious but I always forget to do that! Bags which feel ace in the shop then feel like ton weights at home with clothes and cameras packed in.
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk