walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

ice axe on rucksack

ice axe on rucksack

Postby mynthdd » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:55 am

Hi guys and happy new year!

I seem to get conflicting advice on attaching my ice axe to my rucksack....I have always had the sharp end pointing up and the head down (and on the side of my rucksack ie where the loops are. It seems a bit dodgy if I should fall as I may well get the sharp end through the back of my head....

one suggestion wa sto put it between my pack and my back but that looks really uncomfortable

Cheers
mynthdd
Munro compleatist

Re: ice axe on rucksack

Postby gaffr » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 pm

Ah! the old chestnut raises the head again. :) Well at least a couple of times around here. For me always head up whether on the side straps of the sack, pick outwards, or down the back, through haul loop, between back and sack....one thing about having it here is that it is instantly accessible, without removing your sack, and you will certainly be aware that it is still in position. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:37 am

On various courses we were taught to push the spike down through the axe loop and then twist it back up to secure it with the securing strap(s), so that the spike is pointing upwards and protected by a rubber protector.- (this is for transportation and approach walking). Once on terrain where it might be needed at any time, it's pushed (spike downwards) into the gap between the rucksack and your back, so it can be reached quickly without stopping walking. This can be very uncomfortable though and I find it easier just to keep my axe in my hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ice_axe_attachment_points.jpg
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby laconic surf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:56 am

Border Reiver wrote:On various courses we were taught to push the spike down through the axe loop and then twist it back up to secure it with the securing strap(s), so that the spike is pointing upwards and protected by a rubber protector.- (this is for transportation and approach walking).

This is the same way I was taught. Wouldn't want it between my back and rucksack tho :shock:
Either its stowed away or as soon as there is a chance I may need it, its in my hand
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Fudgie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 pm

laconic surf wrote:
Border Reiver wrote:On various courses we were taught to push the spike down through the axe loop and then twist it back up to secure it with the securing strap(s), so that the spike is pointing upwards and protected by a rubber protector.- (this is for transportation and approach walking).

This is the same way I was taught. Wouldn't want it between my back and rucksack tho :shock:
Either its stowed away or as soon as there is a chance I may need it, its in my hand

Thats also the way that I have it on my bag as it stops it dangling. I also just have it in my hand when I feel it might be necessary.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Cameron94 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:46 pm

You quickly get quite comfy having it between your rucksack and back, doesn't bother me in the slightest even with a heavy pack for climbing.
Although if you fall and twist you can end up being spiked in the back near your hip.
Totally not talking from experience :lol:
Cameron94

Postby davy_boy2004 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm

when walking into the snowline always have the point up the way. as others have said when carrying it between the rucksack and your back you get used to it and dont notice it after a while. although my latest rucksack a podsacs alpine has plastic gearloops on the waistbelt and these double up great as an ice axe holder also set far enough back that it doesnt get in the way while walking. one of those little features that work for something other than what they were designed for.
davy_boy2004
Stravaiging

Postby nathan79 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:33 am

davy_boy2004 wrote:when walking into the snowline always have the point up the way. as others have said when carrying it between the rucksack and your back you get used to it and dont notice it after a while. although my latest rucksack a podsacs alpine has plastic gearloops on the waistbelt and these double up great as an ice axe holder also set far enough back that it doesnt get in the way while walking. one of those little features that work for something other than what they were designed for.

Off topic but how do you find the podsac? Tempted by a great deal on one at the moment, figure I can use it in it's stripped down form in the warmer months.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Raven » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

Off topic but how do you find the podsac? Tempted by a great deal on one at the moment, figure I can use it in it's stripped down form in the warmer months.

Fantastic no fuss at all
:D

I put my axe in the side compression straps with the pick facing behind, when its not between my back and pack
Raven
Munro compleatist

Munros:8   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:3   
Location: Inverness & Libya North Africa only when things settle down again

Postby davy_boy2004 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:50 pm

i find it a great pack more biased towards mountaineering than general walking but very comfortable if you get the right back length. lots of nice little features and can be stripped down all iv done to mine is take the plastic and metal stiffners from the back and its still very supportive. top part can also be removed but i always leave mine on as i find it handy for little bits and pieces as well as keeping the rain out of the main part in typical scottish summer weather. it is quite a narrow pack as its designed for climbing which also works well for scrambling and skiing iv got the 40l which is bigger than it seems but spot on for winter climbing also can be strapped down if you dont have much inside which works well for me.
davy_boy2004
Stravaiging

Postby murwilson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

"I put my axe in the side compression straps with the pick facing behind, when its not between my back and pack"

Yep, I agree. This is how I was taught.

Mur
murwilson

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk