walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Bargain winter gear

Bargain winter gear

Postby will0001 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:44 pm

Just incase anyone is looking for bargain winter gear - I got this lot on a price match at gooutdoors yesterday!

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN60078
Scarpa Manta - £225.00 - Gooutdoors price
£189.00 – The outdoorshop.com price
£170.10 - (with 10% off and price match @ gooutdoors)

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN31449
Grivel G12 Cramp-ons - £126.00 - Gooutdoors price
£105.00 – The outdoorshop.com price
£94.50 - (with 10% off and price match @ gooutdoors)

http://www.theoutdoorshop.com/showPart.asp?part=PN65079
Black Diamond Raven Axe (with grip and leash) £72.00 – Gooutdoors price
£60.00 – The outdoorshop.com price
£54.00 - (with 10% off and price match @ gooutdoors)

£470 – Cotswolds total price

£423 – Gooutdoors total price
£387 – The outdoorshop.com total price
£318 – total price (with 10% off and price match @ gooutdoors)
will0001
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Bargain winter gear

Postby balgonie » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:23 pm

I love a bargain :) do you think 'theoutdoorshop' is a sister company of 'go outdoors'
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby murwilson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:58 pm

I can't fault your approach at a bargain but it makes me feel for the little guy when a cracking independent loses out on a good sale to a big, lazy, national in this way. If we stop supporting the little independents we'll be stuck with the crap (product and advice) at whatever price because the little guy can't compete in terms of scale.

"About the Outdoor Shop

Established in 1981, The Outdoor Shop is based in the historic market town of Stony Stratford on the North West tip of Milton Keynes. Retailing through our high street shop and via the Internet, we are now one of the countries leading independent retailers of technical outdoor clothing and equipment."

The Outdoor Shop are good to deal with, bought some gear there in the past. I visited go outdoors once, it was so bad I've never returned.

Mur
murwilson

Postby will0001 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I hear what you're saying re: the independents - but I'm simply not well enough off to pay £200 more than I have too, as I'm sure many others on here aren't either. Hence my post/advice.
will0001
Munro compleatist

Munros:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:27   

Postby madprof » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 am

The idea is that independent shops offer more support and advice to counteract any increase in price. The whole "added value" thing in the purchase. But no one should expect purchasers to just stump up more money if it doesn't benefit them. Shops are not charities and people are supposed to be clever about what they buy.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby balgonie » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 am

I myself wouldn't buy the same item at a more expensive price for the sake of support and advice, when all the support and advice is readily available free online, it is ashame the smaller independent shops are get muscled out but unfortunately that's the way the world works these days (hate the game not the player)
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby gman » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:09 am

murwilson wrote:"About the The Outdoor Shop are good to deal with, bought some gear there in the past. I visited go outdoors once, it was so bad I've never returned.
Mur

There's an aura of evil surrounding Go Outdoors shops, but they're OK if you know what you're looking for. I actually had good advice (!) there when I bought my last pair of boots; I've also had blank stares when I asked about crampons in Tiso - it's just your luck on the day. The Outdoor shop looks like the sort of place with expert staff (or, at least, highly opinionated :lol: ) and I'd probably go there if I lived anywhere near it. Internet shopping takes the sales advice out of the equation, though, so it really comes down to price.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Munro Madness » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi I find Go outdoors price match + extra 10% discount excellent.
I've bought a number of goods recently using price match + 10% discount on
G10 Grivel crampons
Scarpa boots
Paramo cascada trousers
and saved myself a fortune.

It's well worth putting in the time to see which competitors to Go Outdoors have the same item at a lower cost online and its in stock cause you really can get some great discounts/bargains.

Happy Shopping :)
Munro Madness

Munros:96   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk