walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin etrex 10

Re: Garmin etrex 10

Postby Lez259 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi, I think I might have confused the issue slightly. I understand how to enter the GR
but on the eTrex the NY field has 5 digits and the BNG field has 5 digits neither can be altered to 4 digits.
Where as the coordinates on the map I have looks like 4 digits & 4 digits
assuming the second group of digits is the BNG field. Ive tried entering zero before numbers but that doesn't work?
Lez259
Mountaineer

Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby spiderwebb » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:54 pm

Enter zeros at the end. The GR on the Etrex is 5 as you say but unless youve plotted one from the GPS Planner on this website, you will probably only use 3, eg if ploting from a map. I certainly cant divide a mm into tenths.

hence if you have aGR of NY623 789, just do as mentioned before and when you go to edit the first number change to NY then 62300.

Then for the second one usually prefixed by BNG (ignore that bit) enter 78900

:D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Lez259 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:54 pm

Thanks Spiderwebb, I thought it might be something as simple as that.
Lez259
Mountaineer

Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:18 pm

I've finally got myself one of these guys, but as people have said already, the user manual is pretty basic and I'm struggling to make sense of it.

The function I'm really wanting to use is the grid ref function. I've set it to British grid but which map does it refer to? The one I have is the orange OS 1:25000 but is there a way of setting it to a specific map?
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Not sure I follow you regarding setting it to a specific map ? If I'm misunderstanding just reply back :D

The Grid reference is made up of two letters followed by usually 6 numbers which will give a reference to within 100metres on the ground, usually plenty for map reading. On the Etrex 10 the numbers are in two groups of 5 giving a 10 figure grid reference accurate to within 1metre on the ground which I would suggest you wont be able to visual on a map at a scale of even 1:25000.

But regarding setting it to a map, the Grid reference letters determine a specific 100km square unique to that square. The following numbers can be replicated every 100km hence why the first two letters are critical at least for the GPS as if you only used the numbers for example calling MRT out with your position, without the letters you could be in any one of the 50 or so 100km squares across the whole of the UK :D

On the legend of your map you will find a small key indicating the letters relevant to your map, and depending on the area it may well have more than one set of two character letters if for example it covers the boundary of two 100kn sections. The letters are also shown on the edges of the map.

Link to one of many maps showing the National grid letters.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ordna ... lwfxdIM%3A
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Jaxter » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:00 pm

Ahhh I see! I couldn't work out how it could tell which map I was relating to. I thought there must be a code but couldn't for the life of me work it out.

Thanks!
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby cameronpack » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:57 am

Hi all, I'm trying to help out a friend that doesn't have a smart phone (and doesn't want one) that needs a 12 digit OS grid reference (I guess 10 digit will be fine). For example 339847E 861250N (Lat 57.637244 Long-3.0091438). I myself am not very savvy at thos sort of thing either (the differences between the different location systems). Can anyone help with a devise that records this please?
Many thanks
Cameron
Attachments
Os grid example.jpg
cameronpack
Ambler

Postby clacdian » Fri May 28, 2021 9:04 am

How do I find the OS grid ref today for a Waypoint that I entered on the hill yesterday? I can find the Waypoint by its name/number but it doesn't show the grid ref, and no button seems to lead me there. And commiserations to all those, like me, who find the instructions (if any) for, and the working of, this device totally baffling!
clacdian

Postby Marty_JG » Sun May 30, 2021 10:45 am

clacdian wrote:How do I find the OS grid ref today for a Waypoint that I entered on the hill yesterday? I can find the Waypoint by its name/number but it doesn't show the grid ref, and no button seems to lead me there. And commiserations to all those, like me, who find the instructions (if any) for, and the working of, this device totally baffling!

Setup -> Position Format

-> Grid, British National Grid
-> Datum, Ord Surv

Now when you examine a Waypoint instead of getting the default Long/Lat it should display in OS format.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby clacdian » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks, but that's what I have anyway.
When I enter Waypoint Manager, I just get a blank Name field, the first Waypoint ("001") plus the keyboard masking everything below.
AAAAAH, but if I press Done on that screen (don't know what that does), I get a list of all Waypoints, and clicking of any of those gives a screen with the OS grid ref.
Not exactly obvious, and it's not clear how I find a particular Waypoint without scrolling through all of them, but a solution of a sort, I suppose.
Who designs these things?!
clacdian

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Their interface could be more useful I agree.

As for searching waypoints

Where To? > Waypoints > menu > Spell Search
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk