walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

stoves, especially for Tomsie

Re: stoves, especially for Tomsie

Postby murwilson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:24 pm

Rudolph wrote:Sorry Mur but I can't see where I differ from the info in these links.
In what way were the (pretty general) comments from Whiteburn and myself not wholly accurate? More important how would someone be likely to get hurt from what we said?

Some years ago I saw a young man invert a canister to a remote stove at the side of his tent which he then lit. The resultant flare set both he and the tent on fire and he was saved serious injury by his companion throwing him in the river.

You didn't clarify that if you are going to invert the canister you should use a remote stove with a pre-heat tube. You further did not clarify that the stove should be lit with the cannister initially upright and wait until the pre-heat tube heats up to allow it to vapourise the fuel before, slowly, inverting the cannister.

I saw potential for a novice user reading your comments and making an error which may have resulted in injury, hence my post.

I don't think Whiteburn posted anything that I would disagree with.

Mur
murwilson

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:54 pm

This is a nice one too, but lugging the heap of peats around as well is a pain...
Clachaig stove.JPG
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Rudolph » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:21 pm

murwilson wrote:Some years ago I saw a young man invert a canister to a remote stove at the side of his tent which he then lit. The resultant flare set both he and the tent on fire and he was saved serious injury by his companion throwing him in the river.

You didn't clarify that if you are going to invert the canister you should use a remote stove with a pre-heat tube. You further did not clarify that the stove should be lit with the cannister initially upright and wait until the pre-heat tube heats up to allow it to vapourise the fuel before, slowly, inverting the cannister.

Mur

A fair point well made. Thank you!
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Tomsie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:46 am

Got the 3inch stove delivered yesterday and it works, had it on for about 2 mins and water was starting to heat. Didnt want to waste to much fuel so switched it off, but happy with it, will do in hills to heat water and still have 2 ring stove in car. :) :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby bikerbill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:26 pm

I too have a fetish about collecting stoves :lol: I use a double burner with grill for the yacht and when 'car camping' Other times I use the Coleman duel fuel which is great if a little bulky for long walks. My favourite stoves are the little solid fuel stove, the one that takes the tablets. It takes up very little room in the rucksack. The other favourite is the meths burner that sits perfectly inside the solid fuel base.
bikerbill
Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk