walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Boots - go outdoors

Boots - go outdoors

Postby islayhawk » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:05 pm

Looking to buy a new pair of boots from Go outdoors. Can anyone give me any recommendations. Budget about £60. Boots must suitable for off defined paths.
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Re: Boots - go outdoors

Postby tenohfive » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 pm

It'll largely depend on fit but I think you'll really struggle to get a quality pair at that budget. Last time I was in there the only ones that cheap were Hitec and Regatta which personally I don't rate for quality - and for me boots are the most important bit of kit and worth spending the extra on.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby jamietal1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I'm pretty sure that they've got an offer on for brasher gore tex boots for about £70 starting tomorrow. But as tenohfive said everybody's different and best bet is to head in and try lots on
jamietal1

Munros:6   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby balgonie » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 am

jamietal1 wrote:I'm pretty sure that they've got an offer on for brasher gore tex boots for about £70 starting tomorrow. But as tenohfive said everybody's different and best bet is to head in and try lots on

Also take extra cash because you'll probably need it!!!
balgonie
Mountaineer

Munros:139   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Rudolph » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am

I like Hi-tec boots.

I'm still wearing a pair about 5 years after they were 'handed down' by one of my sons. I've done a lot of walking in them in all sorts of terrain (including the south part of the Cuillin and in Inn-Pinn although they are bit too soft to be ideal for that). Also done everything from Kilnaughton beach to Beinn Bheigher to Red Peak pass in Yosemite in them. They are not waterproof anymore (one of the seams has split) but they are still very comfortable so I still use them for shorter walks where I won't be in puddles all the time.

As far as quality is concerned, they've lasted longer than the much more expensive Salomon GTX I bought to replace them.

Given your budget I'd grab a pair of Scafell or Ottawa straight away as they appear to be on offer. But check the fit first!
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby islayhawk » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 pm

. quote :- Also done everything from Kilnaughton beach to Beinn Bheigher

Ah - a person after my own heart. Islay -Queen of the Hebrides - beautiful
islayhawk
Hill Bagger

Postby tenohfive » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Just to throw in a contrary opinion I've had 5 different pairs of Hitec boots through work. 4 were mediocre to poor, one pair were excellent - to the extent I'm thinking about getting them resoled and giving them a bash as replacement for my Mammuts which are just starting to fall apart.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm

islayhawk wrote:.
Ah - a person after my own heart. Islay -Queen of the Hebrides - beautiful

indeed. no munros, but otherwise pretty near to perfect!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Yochy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 am

Yep, Scafels are ok for a cheapy, had mine for just over a year, still waterproof and well worn in so lovely and comfy now. With gaiters on feet stay dry, have had more expensive boots in the past but find these have worn in better. Hope this helps with your choice :wink:
Yochy
Mountaineer

Hewitts:2

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 am

I bought a pair of there own brand, north ridge, and they failed totaly first time in the wet. Very poorly made and got money back. Replaced with Scarpas
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Barcode » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:50 pm

Another bump for Hi-Tec. Bought a pair from Yeomans last year for £40, did Knoydart in them, some short shorter trips around lakes and use them to walk dog everyday and they are still comfy and water tight.
Barcode
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby neilwood » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

johnkaysleftleg wrote:I bought a pair of there own brand, north ridge, and they failed totaly first time in the wet. Very poorly made and got money back. Replaced with Scarpas

I am hoping their approach shoes are better - just bought a pair of Caldera shoes yesterday in preparation for some training walks for the WHW in the summer.
neilwood
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:58 pm

neilwood wrote:
johnkaysleftleg wrote:I bought a pair of there own brand, north ridge, and they failed totaly first time in the wet. Very poorly made and got money back. Replaced with Scarpas

I am hoping their approach shoes are better - just bought a pair of Caldera shoes yesterday in preparation for some training walks for the WHW in the summer.

It was the toe rand that failed, looks like it's stitched on with those so hopefully you'll have better luck. I managed to get a pair of Berghaus for only £45 in the local factory outlet store, great pair of shoes.

http://www.getthelabel.com/pws/ProductD ... tAod5gMAug
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk