walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear review: Rucksacks for wild camping

Re: Gear review: Rucksacks for wild camping

Postby Rudolph » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:34 pm

Can't comment on whether the 58 will have enough space for your kit in winter. The 46 does us for summer.

There are many bits og lightweight / thin cords, buckles and webbing on the exos. We haven't had any failures of these in 2 years.

The material is quite thin as well and I managed to rub a small hole somehow (probably bum-sliding down a rocky bit). Even so, if I could justify another 'big' rucksac for when the 46 isn't big enough the 58 is the one I'd go for.

Bis47 mentioned a few concerns that the balance of th 58 was too far aft but lots of other reviews say it's great.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Gear review: Rucksacks for wild camping

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:50 am

tenohfive wrote:Has anyone used the Exos 58 for wild camping in winter? Does it have the room for the extra gear for multi-day trips and the durability, or is it more of a 3 season bag?

I use the 46 for multi-day treks early spring (this cold March). For deep winter it's too small, I reckon. You might have a look at the 46 size L, it must be at least 50L, and one can add stuff to outside if need be (camera). My gear, including crampons and three days of food, fits in it. Great sack. Some straps and fabric might look flimsy, but after a while my conclusion is: apparently the big straps and tough fabric on other sacks is overkill.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk