walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trousers and Pants

Trousers and Pants

Postby ExpatEddie » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

As a gentle hill walker and occasional Munro climber I have been wearing walking tousers with over-trousers for when the rain comes on or I'm ploughing through long wet grass and heather. I've come across walkers in the same weather and terrain whose trousers appear to shed water and they are dry. I'm thinking those are what I want. So searching the internet, WH gear reviews etc I am not clear as to what I should buy. Winter walking in other than the Border Hills is not for me so I'm considering these trousers as 3 seasons only.

So I'm asking for help in what I should be looking for - is DWR necesssary (is it sufficient) - should I included softshell? The list could go on but some pointers would help.

Thanks in advance
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Re: Trousers and Pants

Postby Rudolph » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:22 pm

I tend to use cheap regatta windproof trousers treated with TX direct for most things nowadays. If it's cold I'll have long-johns underneath. I'll always use lightweight gaiters which keep the wet grass / mud heather etc. off. They also stop the wind blowing up me legs which is a huge benefit as i'm too cool to tuck my trousers into my socks.

If it's very wet I'll have waterproof over trousers - but I tend not to have to use 'em.
Rudolph
Mountain Walker

Munros:280   
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby RockyRab » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:31 pm

I'm a big fan of softshell trousers, a decent pair can shrug off anything but the heaviest rain without needing to put a pair of waterproof trousers on.
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby mr_ash_37 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 pm

Montane terra pant....faaaaaaaantastic. More expensive but worth every penny!!
mr_ash_37
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   Corbetts:3

Postby luckyd » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 pm

Can't beat Paramo Cascada trousers in changeable weather. They can be worn on their own as a 3 season pant, and have plenty of ventilation if the day turns out hotter than expected. They can be reproofed so will outlast most other waterproofs too.
luckyd
Rambler

Munros:127   Corbetts:14
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:167   

Postby murwilson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:08 am

Montane Terra's or Rab Treklite's will fit your needs. They are light, windproof and have a good DWR which will shed water. They dry very quickly if you get caught out in a heavy downpour.

Cascadas are far, far too hot for spring\summer wear in my opinion. Softshell trousers fall in-between and are usually excellent in autumn\winter offering a bit more protection. The main downside to many softshells (Gore windstopper for example) is when it gets soaked, it stays wet for a long time ie, the rest of the day!

Terra's in all but the heaviest rain, where you'll be wearing your overtrousers anyway, fit the bill for a gentle hillwaker.

Mur
murwilson

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:30 am

Jeans with waterproofs over the top as needed. Can't go wrong.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Michael Thomson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am

Wear shorts, your skin is waterproof! :D

Softshell depends on the fabric. Some take ages to dry, others are fast. I'm a big fan of Schoeller for this reason, and because their DWR seems the most resilient. That said, there's tons of choice in this arena, and you can't go massively wrong to be honest. The Montane Terras are good, and not too expensive. My personal favourite for 3 season is Mammut's Base Jump breeks.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Backpacker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

I have 3 pairs of Craghoppers, convertables, winter lined and normal basecamp

All 3 dry out pretty quickly and very comfy to wear, they won't win you any fashion awards but unless you're doing the WHW or climbing Nevis, that's not really a problem :lol: :lol:
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby stevesey » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:28 pm

Like the OP I've been thinking about some all weather trousers, rather than having to pull on/off over trousers. Cascada's seem to be too warm for all year use (especially for us southerners) so I have been thinking about getting some Parmo Velez or the cheaper Sprayway all day Rainpant - any options on the Sprayway ones?
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby seadog » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Just a thought, for a lot of years I used Berghaus over trousers when it rained and they were very good but I got fed up having to stop to put them on and then when the rain stopped you had to take them off again, now I know thats not much of a problem but I then read about Paramo Cascada trousers and thought they were just what I was looking for so bought them and the Jacket to go with them, and I thought they were great but then found out if you kneel or sit on wet grass or snow you got wet but as long as you know about this then you just dont sit down without a seat of some kind
seadog
seadog
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   

Postby ExpatEddie » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:35 pm

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions. What with holidays and family commitments I didn't get around to buying anything until just before going to Skye. I bought a pair of Rab and very happy with them. First day on Skye was showery and I didn't need over-trousers to stay dry. That has been the only wet day since buying them such has been the weather around here. Found they were great for walking through nettles :lol:

Thanks again.
ExpatEddie
Mountaineer

Munros:72   Corbetts:12
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+47
Sub 2000:26   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk