walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Where to buy gas cartridge on Skye ?

Where to buy gas cartridge on Skye ?

Postby Marc Lefevre » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi there,
The question may seems a bit silly, but I intend to fly to Edinburgh and from there I'll go straight to Skye by train. In the meantime I won't be able to stop in by camping shop for buying gas cartridge.
Therefore I'll need to buy in on location.
May I hope to find those in Broadford and if so, is there a specific place where to go or any petrol station would be ok ?

Besides, is there other place like camping site or petrol station where I can reasonably expect to find gas cartridge ?
Marc Lefevre
Scrambler

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Where to buy gas cartridge on Skye ?

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Marc, there is a large Petrol Station in the middle of Broadford I'm pretty sure they will sell camping gas. :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby dalavil » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:09 pm

Marine Stores, Kyle of Lochalsh, between the railway station and the bus stop, definitely has them.
dalavil

Munros:279   Corbetts:221
Fionas:72   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:26

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:59 am

Also Glen Brittle campsite has a little shop which sells them. Nice site too.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby matty_cat » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:58 am

gas cartridge for a F1 coleman or similar? Portree in the Outdoorshop near the bus station next do Skye Batiks.

Not sure whether you can find a gas cartridge for a wee camping cooker at a petrol station.

From the airport to the train station in EDI: why not do a little diversion to the TISO? According the street map it is not far away.
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Munros:5   

Postby dalavil » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 pm

If you are changing trains at Inverness, just nip out of the main entrance and cross the road to Blacks.
dalavil

Munros:279   Corbetts:221
Fionas:72   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:52   
Islands:26

Postby DANISIE7E » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:47 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Marc, there is a large Petrol Station in the middle of Broadford I'm pretty sure they will sell camping gas. :)

Hi, Rod!

I'm starting the Skye Trail next tuesday and I have the same problem with the gas cartridge for my stove. Do you know if it's still possible to get it in that petrol station?

Thank you very much,

Dani
DANISIE7E
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm

They are currently either doing work on the petrol station, or preparing to start said work. If I were you, I'd try and get a gas canister in Kyle of Lochalsh if possible.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby matty_cat » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:19 pm

davekeiller wrote:They are currently either doing work on the petrol station, or preparing to start said work. If I were you, I'd try and get a gas canister in Kyle of Lochalsh if possible.

The works are at the tanks and fuel pumps. As long he don't want to buy petrol (none available until March 2019) or Diesel outside the hours of 7am to 10pm, the Coop is still selling. Kyle is having a petrol station, but no idea when it is manned (you can fill your car now 24h and pay per card at the pump).

Best shot is still any of the Outdoor shops in Inverness, 3 or 4 of them within 5min walks from the train/bus station.

Or the Outdoorshop in Portree, 2min walk from the bus station.
matty_cat
Mountaineer

Munros:5   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk