walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Bothy or Tent heater

Bothy or Tent heater

Postby Craigellachie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:31 pm

Over the years I have used many bothies all year round and heating has always been a challenge, do you carry in coal or risk foraging for wood for the fire after you arrive? Or how to heat a bothy with no fire, places like Callater Stables and Hutchison Bothy in the Cairngorms spring to mind? However I have bought the heater below, really light and fixes on top of a canister used for stoves. Seriously good heat, burns for hours and has lifted my spirits through the dark cold hours. If you fancy one I would suggest shopping around as I have found a fair price variance on the net. Lighter than a bag of coal and reliable, if your trips involve nights in bothies this is a good addition to the kit you carry. I have also used it successfully in a ten man tepee but haven’t used it on a small tent
Attachments
sg2021[1].gif
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Re: Bothy or Tent heater

Postby kinley » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 pm

I use a far more expensive piece of kit - a wife. :roll:

This piece of kit will warm your tent, CO2 production is modest and no Carbon Monoxide is produced (unless you acquire a tobacco-smoking model). Condensation in the tent is increased.

The wife carries itself (and some of the camping kit) - but does sometimes create a background noise that may distract (with years of use this seems to be tolerable).

Alternatives to wives are available in all shapes and sizes (but outdoor models do seem in short supply :lol: )
kinley

Postby gaffr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Your can of gas model would be a lot easier to carry around with camping kit than this tent warmer that i came across in a tent in Glen Feshie.
Glen Feshie comforts.jpg
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby sloosh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:47 pm

Hope your wife doesn't read this forum Kinley. :lol:

Finally found one of these devices (heater, that is, not a wife).

A Sunngas parabolic heater:
http://www.camping-online.co.uk/gas-coo ... eater.html

Comparable product:
Bluecat Heater -
http://www.camping-online.co.uk/gas-coo ... eater.html
sloosh

Munros:62   Corbetts:1

Postby Craigellachie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20 pm

Yes there are websites for wives as well but best steer clear! If I were a brave man I would say I go to the hills to escape my wife but I am not brave and would never say that ... ever..... honest darling...... :D

I would ideally like the Ray Mears type heater you found in Feshie but fear it would weigh the sack down a wee bit.
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:39 pm

They (the original post) look great! Must have a look for one...
mountain coward

Postby bootsandpaddles » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:55 am

kinley wrote:I use a far more expensive piece of kit - a wife. :roll:

This piece of kit will warm your tent, CO2 production is modest and no Carbon Monoxide is produced (unless you acquire a tobacco-smoking model). Condensation in the tent is increased.

The wife carries itself (and some of the camping kit) - but does sometimes create a background noise that may distract (with years of use this seems to be tolerable).

Alternatives to wives are available in all shapes and sizes (but outdoor models do seem in short supply :lol: )

Perhaps on behalf of the female subscribers to this forum I could suggest The Male Companion Tent Heater. The most widely available model puts out a lot of hot air, often from both ends. This is not without its disadvantages in a confined space. The older, more bulky models also tend to be very noisy in idling mode, making it impossible to sleep if you leave them on overnight. On the plus side, however, some can be even programmed to make tea in the morning. :thumbup:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby kinley » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:05 pm

bootsandpaddles wrote:
kinley wrote:I use a far more expensive piece of kit - a wife. :roll:

Perhaps on behalf of the female subscribers to this forum I could suggest The Male Companion Tent Heater. The most widely available model puts out a lot of hot air, often from both ends. This is not without its disadvantages in a confined space. The older, more bulky models also tend to be very noisy in idling mode, making it impossible to sleep if you leave them on overnight. On the plus side, however, some can be even programmed to make tea in the morning. :thumbup:

:lol: :lol:
kinley

Postby davetherave » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:39 am

:lol: :lol:
this site just gets better, great thread guys, sure put a smile on my face and the wifes when she read the thread.
Affraid im with Kinley on this one, would rather have the wife keep me warm that that stove,would be a great heat but dont think i would enjoy lugging it around the country.
May change my mind in the near future tho, plans for a 90k hike in early spring and im expecting EQUALITY . :?
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby dogswar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:12 pm

take a peek at this little babe !!!!!! she's sure sleeky.Campingaz BlueCat CV Heater all singing and dancing...
http://www.tauntonleisure.com/products/ ... ater/5589/
dogswar
Munro compleatist

Postby Craigellachie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:53 pm

This ones really heavy in comparison in fact it might be easier carrying the Ray Mears type stove earlier. Its got great heat output but it relies on the very heavy gas cannisters great if weights not an issue and you can use the cannisters for your stove.
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:14 am

I thought I'd asked this already but, reading the above posts, I didn't... about how long does a normal, small gas canister last with this fitted to it? Does it use it all up within an hour or so?
mountain coward

Postby Craigellachie » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:15 pm

It depends on the setting you choose but it burns at a similar rate to the stoves it just seems to distribute the heat in a different way. I have used it for 3 hours and used half a normal sized can as in the pic but had it on at half rate
Craigellachie
Stravaiging

Postby mountain coward » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 am

Okay thanks - sounds good... got to be better than no heat in a fireless bothy!
mountain coward

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk