walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Budget GPS Systems

Budget GPS Systems

Postby Ibex » Thu May 16, 2013 7:44 pm

On a recent trip to the Lakes, I came to find that my walking partners GPS system came in extremely helpful, in the heavy clag conditions, for finding the rough area of the summits of the mountains.
I checked on the map as I was going, and found I was picking the right paths etc, but found that judging distances in the fog was difficult.

I am looking for a pretty basic GPS, just to carry for a back up to my map, for misserable days.
Unfortunately I know nothing about them, so any advice people can give me, would be gratefully recieved.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Budget GPS Systems

Postby tenohfive » Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 pm

You got a smart phone? You might have already considered and dismissed it, but for a backup a smart phone with Viewranger installed may well do you just fine - it does me in any case.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby Ibex » Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 pm

No smart phone. Bit of neanderthal when it comes to technology.
Plus i'd mainly be using it for awful weather, so using a smart phone might be out of the question.
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

A dedicated outdoor GPS would be more weatherproof than a phone, and have a better battery life. The Garmin etrex is a good basic model. Mine is nearly 3 years old now and has given good service, working in all kinds of weather. There is now an updated version on the market with improved features, and a choice of models.

A basic model like this is good for telling you where you are. You can also input waypoints you want to go to manually, but that's time-consuming. If you want to draw a route to put on such a GPS, you'd need access to digital mapping. There are GPS units on the market with their own mapping, of course, but obviously these are more expensive.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby tenohfive » Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am

Ibex wrote:No smart phone. Bit of neanderthal when it comes to technology.
Plus i'd mainly be using it for awful weather, so using a smart phone might be out of the question.

Fair enough. With a decent case you can solve the weather problem and as get's trotted out elsewhere - MRT's will use smart phones nowadays, so they must do something right. But ultimately if you don't own one and you're buying specifically for one purpose I agree that you're better off with a dedicated GPS.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby RockyRab » Fri May 17, 2013 10:28 am

I have a Garmin eTrex 10, about as basic as they get in terms of features but sounds perfect for what you describe. £80 on Amazon. :thumbup:
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby StevieC » Fri May 17, 2013 10:55 am

RockyRab wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex 10, about as basic as they get in terms of features but sounds perfect for what you describe. £80 on Amazon. :thumbup:

Same here. Had it for a couple of years now and it does exactly what I want - tells me where I am :D

I sometimes put in waypoints and use the GoTo feature because it's nice to know how far you still have to go without getting the map out, but it's a pain putting waypoints in so often I don't bother.
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Ibex » Fri May 17, 2013 11:04 am

Cheers RockyRab. Sounds about right for what I want!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby stevesey » Fri May 17, 2013 11:33 pm

Had the original etrex 10 for 10 years now - does the job well for a basic GPS. I've downloaded all the summits in the Lakes - so can select quickly look at nearest waypoints and select one as the next destination. But generally I just use it as a current location check with a map and perhaps average speed to check progress.

Have a smart phone with viewranger now - have downloaded open cycle maps for key area's but not tried it in anger (although have used it for checking short cuts in bad traffic etc).
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122

Postby Bob the Dog » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 am

RockyRab wrote:I have a Garmin eTrex 10, about as basic as they get in terms of features but sounds perfect for what you describe. £80 on Amazon. :thumbup:

I got a brand new Garmin E-trex 10 for £45 with 12 month warranty from an ebay store...if you want me to send u the link then PM me - my Mum will have to do it though, cos I'm just a dog!!! :wink:
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Postby basscadet » Wed May 22, 2013 12:24 pm

Well I was going to suggest one like mine, because it has been a right faithful old dog :D
An Etrex Vista Hcx - They were going for £50 or £60 a couple of years ago, but I see from a brief google, that they are going for more like £170 - £180 these days :shock:
I think the new Garmin equivalent is the etrex 20, but my mate got one, and found that the battery life is about 20 hours as opposed to 36, so maybe thats why there are so many folk trying to get their hands on the old models? Seems bizarre that the older ones are going for so much :? Makes me think the newer models arent all Garmin say they are.. :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu May 23, 2013 11:07 am

Bob the Dog wrote:

I got a brand new Garmin E-trex 10 for £45 with 12 month warranty from an ebay store...if you want me to send u the link then PM me - my Mum will have to do it though, cos I'm just a dog!!! :wink:

Currently £60 at Currys (though showing out of stock online for now).
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby Ibex » Sat May 25, 2013 6:14 pm

I bought the Etrex 10 at Go Outdoors, as I was needing it very quickly, before going up the the Lakes on the Friday.
Unfortunately, I then got tonsilitis and couldn't go up there when the weather is so nice. Gutted!

Getting better now, but still quite ruefull of missing out on 3 nice days in the hills.
Will have to make up for it somehow.

Thanks for all your advice people (and dog)!
Ibex
Mountain Walker

Postby Bluestone42 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:25 pm

[quote
I think the new Garmin equivalent is the etrex 20, but my mate got one, and found that the battery life is about 20 hours as opposed to 36, so maybe thats why there are so many folk trying to get their hands on the old models? Seems bizarre that the older ones are going for so much :? Makes me think the newer models arent all Garmin say they are.. :wink:[/quote]

Just be aware that the new etrex units have to be set to the battery type you are using. Set up>System>Battery Type(alkaline, lithium or NiMh). It is important!

It maybe worth having a word with these guys, am sure they will point you in the right direction (pun). :roll: http://www.gpstraining.co.uk/index.html
Bluestone42
Munro compleatist

Munros:174   Corbetts:5
Donalds:1
Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:120   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk