walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Rucksack

Rucksack

Postby Happy Walker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Hi folks looking for a new 60lt sack, so many out there dont know where to start, can you help?
Happy Walker
Mountaineer

Re: Rucksack

Postby tenohfive » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:21 pm

Best place to start is your local outdoors shop - try some on for fit. Then check the weight of the bag - there are a few out there which are comfortable but which weigh a fair bit before you even put anything in them.

Personally I've been looking at some of the Osprey bags - the Kestrel or the Exos both get good reviews on here (the latter is VERY light but max load is 18kg. Whilst not very often, there is a risk of me exceeding that occasionally (carrying gear for 2 people) so I'm looking at the heavier but more solidly built Kestrel. I've tried it on and it's very comfortable. But if I knew I'd be staying below that I'd definitely want to try the Exos given the reviews of it on here.

If it helps any, there was a review by Phil a while ago:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/gear-review-rucksacks-for-wild-camping/008349/
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby geefre » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:14 pm

From my own experience, it is better to buy cheap and simple rucksack firstly (try Mountain Warehouse, Decathlon or Sports Direct). Few trips will guide you what kind of things are essential. Even volume might change dramatically.

This is why I have 5 rucksacks with capacity of 30-40l (had about 3 more, but sold or left them at former home). Now stuck with three of them: one is camera rucksack, another is for daily use and the last is for carrying heavier loads in longer trips. I have also got 70l rucksack which I have used for few trips and decided that I need only half of its volume for non-mountain trips for 2-3 weeks. Otherwise I end up with bringing food back home from all countries I have visited :D.
geefre
Scrambler

Munros:265   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:19 pm

For my first camping trip just over 2 years ago I used a cheap Tesco rucksack - about 65l I think. Found it uncomfortable and sore to use. Switched to a Berghaus C71 bioflex 65+10 - great back system which moves with you but the bag is about 2.5kg to start. Just back from a 2 night trip with my new rucksack, Osprey Exos 58 (about 1.1kg). Big difference and found it a lot more comfortable. It also seemed more stable than the C71 as it's not as tall but wider. Also got a lighter down sleeping bag and a few other changes meant that I wasn't carrying the 18kg I used to carry - that said, the Exos still weighed in at about 15kg although about 4.5kg of that was water due to lack of water sources and food. I did also try the Kestrel 68 (Cotswold let you buy both, try at home and return what you don't want) but oddly I found it easier to get my stuff into the Exos 58. Very happy with Osprey - Kestrel and Talon for daysacks.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:35 pm

5 litres short, but check out the Montane Grand Tour 55. Seems like a good peice of kit. I made the mistake of trying one on and it took a lot of willpower not to buy one. For once I managed to convince myself "you don't need this".

I also checked out the Osprey Exos, I think it was the 46 I tried. Really nice comfy lightweight pack, I'd expect the same for the 58. My issue with it was the mini osprey buckles and it is a bit too strappy for my liking.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Decal Joe » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:17 pm

nathan79 wrote:5 litres short, but check out the Montane Grand Tour 55. Seems like a good peice of kit. I made the mistake of trying one on and it took a lot of willpower not to buy one. For once I managed to convince myself "you don't need this".

I also checked out the Osprey Exos, I think it was the 46 I tried. Really nice comfy lightweight pack, I'd expect the same for the 58. My issue with it was the mini osprey buckles and it is a bit too strappy for my liking.

I was torn between those 2 packs when I was researching a new one for doing the Tour Du Mont Blanc this August, plumped for the Osprey Exos 46, the harness was the main plus point over the montane.
Decal Joe
Mountaineer

Munros:152   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 pm

I always end up saying this, but find a decent outdoor shop and try some on. My local branch of Cotswold let me take stuff home and try it out for a week and if I'm not happy I can take it back and exchange it so long as I haven't used it outdoors. The neighbours wondered what the noise was when I spent most of a week clomping up and down the stairs in new boots and a fully laden Osprey Kestrel 60, but at least I know both are comfortable :) That's the kind of service that makes me go back - I'd never buy anywhere else now, because the Kestrel was the 3rd ruckasck I'd tried and I'm very glad I didn't have to keep either of the other two. The fit of a rucksack is a very personal thing.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 am

BobMcBob wrote:My local branch of Cotswold let me take stuff home and try it out for a week and if I'm not happy I can take it back and exchange it so long as I haven't used it outdoors.

Now that's handy to know. I don't trust sales advice in there (having heard some iffy advice by what I'd hazard is the new guy) but frankly I don't trust any sales assistants anywhere - only a very small percentage work in a role that they have solid practical knowledge of. But good service is good service.
tenohfive

Postby Michael Thomson » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:38 am

Asking what rucksack to buy is like asking what car you should buy. It depends entirely on your needs, preferences and budget. I could recommend a porsche until you tell me you need it to move furniture, then I'd recommend a transit van.
Rucksacks are kinda similar, in that there's a massive range, so you'll need to give us a clue if you want the advice to be anything other than " I have one of these and I like it"

To help narrow it down a bit, why 60L? Are you looking for something for multi-day backpacks? If so, what kind of load are you looking at carrying and over what kind of ground? What's most important to you? Cost? Weight? back length?
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby dogjake » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:52 pm

Check out the Lidle website on Monday 17 June they are selling a 70L rucksack which looks a good bit of kit and at £27.99 I reckon you can't go wrong. I have no association with Lidle stores it just seemed a good buy.
dogjake
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:12   

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm

nathan79 wrote:5 litres short, but check out the Montane Grand Tour 55. Seems like a good peice of kit. I made the mistake of trying one on and it took a lot of willpower not to buy one. For once I managed to convince myself "you don't need this".

Aye, I saw a man in Knoydart with one, and thought it looked amazing, tried one out and it was comfy, but it doesnt have a seperate compartment in the bottom, and I just think I would miss that convenience too much :?

Aye ospreys are nice, and have some good features, but don't perform well in the wet, and the covers you get for them are poor at best. :(

The search goes on.. :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:35 pm

basscadet wrote:

Aye ospreys are nice, and have some good features, but don't perform well in the wet, and the covers you get for them are poor at best. :(

Does that include the one built in to the Kestrel 68?
tenohfive

Postby basscadet » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Oh I've only tried out 3 models/sizes, but dont know exactly which ones they were I'm sorry.. :?
I'm probably generalising and speaking nonsense - maybe I was just misfortunate, but the fact that all the three I tried had the same problems made me think that Ospreys were like that across the board..
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:22 pm

I seem to be the odd one out in that I like a built in raincover rather than relying on drybags as a wet bag weighs more, and most Osprey bags don't have a built in raincover - with (as you experienced) iffy reviews of the ones that come separate. The Kestrel was the first one that caught my eye that has one sewn in, and that's the bag I'm looking to get when funds allow (I've tried it on and it works for me.)
tenohfive

Postby Happy Walker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Michael Thomson wrote:Asking what rucksack to buy is like asking what car you should buy. It depends entirely on your needs, preferences and budget. I could recommend a porsche until you tell me you need it to move furniture, then I'd recommend a transit van.
Rucksacks are kinda similar, in that there's a massive range, so you'll need to give us a clue if you want the advice to be anything other than " I have one of these and I like it"

To help narrow it down a bit, why 60L? Are you looking for something for multi-day backpacks? If so, what kind of load are you looking at carrying and over what kind of ground? What's most important to you? Cost? Weight? back length?

Well said on all of the above, the sack is for multi-day trips so I am now the proud owner of an Osprey Aether 60L
Happy Walker
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk