walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Mobile phone network

Mobile phone network

Postby tambrown » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Evening all,

I am looking for opinions on the best mobile network to go for, obvious requirement is best signal in the most areas where we love to walk. I am currently on Vodafone but wondering if any of the others are better.

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tam
tambrown
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Mobile phone network

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:54 pm

I'm on O2 but often don't get a signal. I also carry a cheap vodafone phone as occasionally it gets a signal when O2 doesn't. That said, I often can't get a signal for hours or even one day to the next if away camping.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby geefre » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Same here, O2 does not work really well. Although I was able to get 2G signal on Ben Lui, but usually there is low connectivity or no at all.

Worth reminding that GPS works very well without phone network connection as long as you have maps stored on the phone itself (on-line maps obviously can't get downloaded without internet on the phone, although GPX points still work).
geefre
Scrambler

Munros:265   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby tenohfive » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:32 am

rockhopper wrote:I also carry a cheap vodafone phone as occasionally it gets a signal when O2 doesn't.

Think that's the best answer. Voda and O2 are the two I'd go for, costs £10 (or less if you have an old phone knocking about) to get a cheap phone that'll last days on standby.

If using it for mapping then it's worth getting the paid content for Viewranger that's stored on the phone, all UK national parks can be had in 1:50000 for a tenner if you shop about. It's less faff than saving OpenCycleMaps onto the phone for offline use.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby stevesey » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:15 pm

tenohfive wrote:
rockhopper wrote:It's less faff than saving OpenCycleMaps onto the phone for offline use.

It's not that much of a faff - every time I go somewhere new I kick of a download of the whole area (+ some more). Minute or so to set up - then leave the phone for 10mins to complete the download over WiFi - job done.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:44 pm

stevesey - you're quoting me above as making a statement about less faff and maps etc but afraid it wasn't me as I don't have maps on my phone.....my O2 phone is at least 6 years old, doesn't have any "G", have to press buttons sequentially to type texts which take ages, has a basic 2mb camera, definitely no gps but I can occasionally make a phone call on it :lol: I'm a bit old school as I only really use it for phone calls :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby gammy leg walker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:43 am

rockhopper wrote: I'm a bit old school as I only really use it for phone calls :lol:

And all this time there was me thinking that's what a phone was for Neil. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby tambrown » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:10 am

Looks like Vodafone is getting the best reviews, I think I will just go with that. Thanks for all the comments.
tambrown
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Postby AJNicholls » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 am

I also take 2 phones with me, on different networks.

EE is bad in every mountainous area I've been to. Vodafone is reasonable most of the time.

But even with 2 phones there have been times I've been out of contact with civilisation for a while.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby Andy82 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am

I'm with Orange and I hardly get a signal in my house!!! :( :( :(
Andy82
Munro compleatist

Munros:86   

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:32 am

rockhopper wrote: I'm a bit old school as I only really use it for phone calls :lol:

Hurray :clap: :clap: :clap:
I am not the only one, I do have a newish phone Galaxy S2, but being old school use the phone for phoning & texting - I have a camera for taking photo's :lol: :lol:

By the way also on O2 & to be honest it is completely random as to whether you get a signal in the hills :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby stevesey » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:41 pm

rockhopper wrote:stevesey - you're quoting me above as making a statement about less faff and maps etc but afraid it wasn't me as I don't have maps on my phone.....my O2 phone is at least 6 years old, doesn't have any "G", have to press buttons sequentially to type texts which take ages, has a basic 2mb camera, definitely no gps but I can occasionally make a phone call on it :lol: I'm a bit old school as I only really use it for phone calls :lol:

Ops :oops: was supposed to the quoting tenohfive - got messed up when I deleted the bits I didn't want!!
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:10 pm

to me it is a good thing not to have a signal on the hill - nobody can "get" me. I don't want to be in contact with people when I am up a hill.
it is possible to register your phone for the 999 text service for an emergency in the hills, you don't need much signal for that.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby tenohfive » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 pm

stevesey wrote:
tenohfive wrote:It's less faff than saving OpenCycleMaps onto the phone for offline use.

It's not that much of a faff - every time I go somewhere new I kick of a download of the whole area (+ some more). Minute or so to set up - then leave the phone for 10mins to complete the download over WiFi - job done.

I've used it for the hills where I live and it didn't seem to always work properly - there were still times where (despite being inside the map area) it starts loading the map over a data connection. I'll have to go back and double check I've done it correctly but I don't have complete confidence in the OSM maps being stored offline. I'll try it again later and see what happens.

When using it because I'm 'directionally challenged' in the Cairngorms I don't want to chance it not having saved properly. It's still worth having (OSM shows paths that aren't on OS maps, and vice versa) but at £10 for 1:50000 mapping covering all UK national parks I can't see any compelling reason not to have them.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby stevesey » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 pm

I've also seen Veiwranger flash "downloading" even when browsing a saved map area (not sure why - might be checking for updates). I have noticed that even with data and wifi turned off this still flashes up (very very quickly) and with both turned off (i.e. airplane mode to save battery) I can still browse to anywhere I like on a saved map (so I'm not too worried about it).

Equally £10 is not a lot of money for that extra backup of some 1:50000 maps.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk