walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS Tracker

Re: GPS Tracker

Postby Dougster » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:50 pm

Dougster
Mountain Walker

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tenohfive » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:00 pm

Does it work with touch screens?
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby stevesey » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:41 pm

I was going to get one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROOF-CA ... 230f4bb725

with a belt clip as well so I can clip to rucksack (and not just reply on the lanyard!)

Currently I just use a zip loc bag - and if just using the phone for beacon buddy it stays in the lid pocket of the rucsack (figure that's a good place for GPS and phone reception).
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:214   

Postby tenohfive » Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:47 pm

I have to admit I use the low tech approach - underneath a waterproof or in the map case (which lives in my cargo pocket.) Or just in my trouser pocket for dry walking.
tenohfive

Postby Dougster » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:09 pm

tenohfive wrote:Does it work with touch screens?

Yes and I had a low tech method fail on me climbing the Cobbler which was like a waterfall.

One HTC Desire tucked deep inside a waterproof Berghaus jacket still got soaked.
Dougster
Mountain Walker

Munros:14   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby tenohfive » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm trying to slim down and avoid carrying more gear so I'll stick to the jacket/trouser pocket for moderate weather and waterproof map case for the proper downpours. Makes sense in my head - apart from a quick pano when I'm feeling lazy I mostly use my phone for double checking position/route tracking.
tenohfive

Postby tenohfive » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm trying to slim down and avoid carrying more gear so I'll stick to the jacket/trouser pocket for moderate weather and waterproof map case for the proper downpours. Makes sense in my head - apart from a quick pano when I'm feeling lazy I mostly use my phone for double checking position/route tracking.
tenohfive

Postby peak_hiker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:47 am

I use Back Country navigator (find the free built in OS maps better than viewranger) on my S3 for mapping and Runkeeper for tracking my hikes, both are excellent
peak_hiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:5   

Postby stevesey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:13 pm

peak_hiker wrote:I use Back Country navigator (find the free built in OS maps better than viewranger) on my S3 for mapping and Runkeeper for tracking my hikes, both are excellent

Just downloaded Backcountry to have a play with - access to 1:25000 OS maps sounds attractive.

Although having just been in the Lakes for a week and given ViewRanger a good test (navigating in the cloud early in the week) I found using ViewRanger with OpenCycleMap alongside a paper OS map works very well. The paths on OpenCycleMap tend to be the well defined ones on the ground so if you are looking at a path on the OS map that isn't on OpenCycleMap it gives you a clue that it probably won't actually be a well defined path - but a faint depression, or just an area where in reality everyone makes their own way. Having the two different viewpoints is quite useful - worth considering downloading two different maps.
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Postby peak_hiker » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:31 pm

one tip with backcountry, if you're going somewhere that is likely to have no mobile signal, pre-download the section of map on your wi-fi before you go, this will make sure you still get the full maps no matter what (use the layers symbol on the very top right of the screen)

I map my routes using multimap and then import them straight into backcountry, its really easy to use :D
peak_hiker
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:5   

Postby stevesey » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:21 pm

peak_hiker wrote:one tip with backcountry, if you're going somewhere that is likely to have no mobile signal, pre-download the section of map on your wi-fi before you go, this will make sure you still get the full maps no matter what (use the layers symbol on the very top right of the screen)

I map my routes using multimap and then import them straight into backcountry, its really easy to use :D

Whichever app you are using pre-downloading the maps is pretty much essential anyway :-)
stevesey
Munro compleatist

Postby bar72 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:53 pm

i had a lot of problems with my HTC smartphone up the hills when it's high humidity or raining. Couldn't use Viewranger as phone started crashing with the dampness. I purchased an inexpensive Garmin etrex Venture handheld GPS on ebay for £40. Get the SMC basemaps for all scottish mountains installed on it and it's resistant to water and 2 x duracell batteries are lasting me 18hrs.

I put a guide up on setting it up a while back:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33514&p=199554#p199554
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:189
Fionas:71   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk