walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Gear review: Rab Strata & Xenon X Hoodies

Gear review: Rab Strata & Xenon X Hoodies

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Phil Turner wrote:We’re changing the way that we do gear reviews at Walkhighlands – there’s a comprehensive back catalogue of comparative reviews here but we reckon it’s time for a change. This autumn and winter we’ll be looking at an eclectic selection of the very latest releases in a bit more detail than we could before. So – first up are two synthetic insulated hooded jackets from Rab – ideal for Scottish winter.

Read Phil's review of the Rab Strata and Xenon jackets.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Re: Gear review: Rab Strata & Xenon X Hoodies

Postby tenohfive » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:48 pm

An interesting approach and as a self confessed gear junkie I enjoyed reading something more comprehensive - but I've always found the comparative reviews really handy, Phil is generally right on the money with them reviews and I regularly refer back. But tacking on the latest reviews as new (and in some case better) gear comes along is definitely a good thing.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby murwilson » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Good job Phil. This is the type of review that I'm interested in.

You've whetted my appetite for the Strata. How would you say it compares, both from a warmth and breathability point of view to say, the Rab Vapour Rise Alpine Lite? This is the sort of jacket I'd wear while on the move to keep me warm and any light showers off. It works pretty well under a hard shell in my experience, without me getting too hot, but with you saying the Strata breathes even better than the Equilibrium of the VR, well, I am tempted...

Mur
murwilson

Postby PhilTurner » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Hi Mur -

It's not really a substitute for the VR garments - these have much less insulation than the Strata and are a more flexible cold weather layer. Think of the VR as a thin fleece with a windshirt over the top and the Strata as a much thicker, high loft fleece with a windshell over the top.

There's more about 'normal' fleece here and Polartec Alpha here.
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

Postby brpro26 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:36 pm

I've knocked your reviews in the past but reckon this new approach is more meaningfull and and gives more indepth useful insight into the articles being compared. :clap:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk